weight of dumbell

ken

Guest
I am 72 and want to buy a set of dumbells for some basic toning and
core exercises - what weight should i buy?

Thanks,

Ken

ken wrote:
> I am 72 and want to buy a set of dumbells for some basic toning and
> core exercises - what weight should i buy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Buy dumbbells that don't have any weight and add plates. Get three
dumbbells so you aren't changing the weight all the time. If you can
find spin-locks, get those; you can get them tighter than those with a
slip on collar.

Carl

"ken" <> I am 72 and want to buy a set of dumbells for some basic toning and
> core exercises - what weight should i buy?

Get something that is easy to use, like ten-pound dumbells. See how you like
that weight. They sell them at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. for about $5. each.

Buying the adjustable kind with the weight plates is a pain in the ass since
your strength levels are not going to increase much one way or the other.

Splean Merchant <[email protected]> wrote:

> Buying the adjustable kind with the weight plates is a pain in the ass since
> your strength levels are not going to increase much one way or the other.

What?

[email protected] (The Queen of Can't and Hear) wrote:

>Splean Merchant <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Buying the adjustable kind with the weight plates is a pain in the ass since
>> your strength levels are not going to increase

Splean, 72 or not, his strength could certainly increase, but I'd
recommend he use the solid dbs, too. Especially thinking of movements
like the overhead triceps extensions.

~*Ker-CLONK!*~

"Ouch! Son of a..."

>> much one way or the other.

>What?

Got a broomstick in yer ear?

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

Curt James wrote:
> [email protected] (The Queen of Can't and Hear) wrote:
>
> >Splean Merchant <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Buying the adjustable kind with the weight plates is a pain in the ass since
> >> your strength levels are not going to increase

> Splean, 72 or not, his strength could certainly increase, but I'd
> recommend he use the solid dbs, too. Especially thinking of movements
> like the overhead triceps extensions.
>
> <snip>

Being age 71 years old I would not do overhead anythings for a good
while or your shoulders might regret it. Rotator injuries are very
common as you get older.
Adjustable dumbbells will enable you to do bench press or some such
and sort of dead lifts. Safer and easier to retreat from if things go
wrong. Don't bother with curls.
I started with 10lb each dumbbell some time ago and now am at 30lb each
dumbbell.

ken wrote:
> I am 72 and want to buy a set of dumbells for some basic toning and
> core exercises - what weight should i buy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Buy a Thomas Inch Replica dumbbell. ;-) LOL

[email protected] wrote:

>Being age 71 years old I would not do overhead anythings for a good
>while or your shoulders might regret it. Rotator injuries are very
>common as you get older.
>Adjustable dumbbells will enable you to do bench press or some such
>and sort of dead lifts. Safer and easier to retreat from if things go
>wrong. Don't bother with curls.
>I started with 10lb each dumbbell some time ago and now am at 30lb each
>dumbbell.

I wouldn't necessarily place my limitations on others, though. Clint
Eastwood is 76. Would you give him the same advice?

No.

http://www.google.com/search?source...2005-29,GGLG:en&q=seniors+and+weight+training
aka http://tinyurl.com/eeb7j

EVERYONE (give or take) can gain courtesy of the magic of progressive
weight training.

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

"Curt James" <Clint Eastwood is 76. Would you give him the same advice?

Clint should stick to a set of 5 pounders and another set of 10 pounders.

Spleen Merchent <[email protected]> wrote:

How can you take someone who calls themself Spleen Merchent seriously?

>"Curt James" <Clint Eastwood is 76. Would you give him the same advice?
>>

>Clint should stick to a set of 5 pounders and another set of 10 pounders.

Whatever.

Thanks, however, for giving me an exuse to continue my Clint Eastwood
rant.

You're just my conduit beeyotch, beeyotch.

(Kidding. I like you, I really like you.)

Eastwood has always been one of my favorite actors. I remember Bradley
J. Steiner
<http://www.motion-online.dk/fora/index.php?showtopic=32450> stating
that he was always impressed by Bob Conrad's physique, well, Clint has
been one of my ideals from years back. Yes, every teen wanted to look
like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but Eastwood possessed a body that seemed
almost attainable.

http://images.google.com/images?sou...:2005-29,GGLG:en&q=clint eastwood&sa=N&tab=wi
aka http://tinyurl.com/r2uoe

Now if only Kim Basinger's body was so easily attainable...

http://images.google.com/images?svn...LG:2005-29,GGLG:en&q=kim+basinger&btnG=Search
aka http://tinyurl.com/rmwnp

Pete, I'm going with Kim for my vote. Cherokee and Miss Cleo are both
phenomenal but Kim's my dream girl.

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/