weight of trek 2300 frame only?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    anybody happen to know what an old (90's) trek 2300 carbon/AL frame weighs?

    Most of the components and bearings are just about worn out, and I need to make a decision to
    replace everything, or start looking around to buy a new bike complete, or build something custom on
    a new frame.

    seems like the new carbon or carbon-ti frames are in the 2.75 to 3 pound range, but I have no idea
    what my old frame would be stripped completely bare for comparision's sake...

    thanks,

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Dan: I believe your frame weighs about 3 lbs 3-6 ounces, depending upon frame size.

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > anybody happen to know what an old (90's) trek 2300 carbon/AL frame weighs?
    >
    > Most of the components and bearings are just about worn out, and I need to make a decision to
    > replace everything, or start looking around to buy a new bike complete, or build something custom
    > on a new frame.
    >
    > seems like the new carbon or carbon-ti frames are in the 2.75 to 3 pound range, but I have no idea
    > what my old frame would be stripped completely bare for comparision's sake...
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Dan

  3. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dan: I believe your frame weighs about 3 lbs 3-6 ounces, depending upon frame size.
    > ----------------

    hey, thanks a lot!

    sounds like I might be just fine and save a little money by using the old frame and just
    replacing/upgrading components. my whole drive-train is just about shot; time to replace chainrings,
    chain, cassette, BB. this might be the time to pony up and move to 9 speed since the old 8 speed STI
    shifters are getting a little inconsistant.

    the one area i could potentially save a fair amount of weight might be to move to a carbon
    threadless fork. pretty big $$ though for the fork, headset, and stem to go for something really
    light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs, etc.

  4. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    <snip> fork, headset, and stem to go for something really light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs,
    etc. <snip>

    Alpha Q Sub 3 is a 300 gm carbon fork if you really want (stupid?) light. I recently purchased but
    have yet to install an Alpha Q Pro, just slightly less terrifying at 360 gms, comparable to
    Reynolds' lightest.

    App

  5. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip> fork, headset, and stem to go for something really light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs,
    > etc. <snip>
    >
    > Alpha Q Sub 3 is a 300 gm carbon fork if you really want (stupid?) light. I recently purchased but
    > have yet to install an Alpha Q Pro, just slightly less terrifying at 360 gms, comparable to
    > Reynolds' lightest.
    > ----------------

    wow.... thats light.

    well, I guess if you're still posting a year from now, we'll know the fork is holding together. ;)
    seriously, I'd have to believe that there would still be a pretty good safety factor built in since
    no OEM would want to risk massive liability.

  6. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    <snip> wow.... thats light.

    > well, I guess if you're still posting a year from now, we'll know the fork is holding together. ;)
    > seriously, I'd have to believe that there would still be a pretty good safety factor built in
    > since no OEM would want to risk massive liability.

    <snip>

    Sub 3 has max 200 lb rider. Pro has no limit. Sub 3 has the "endorsement" of Leonard Zinn - I think
    he said something like "more than strong enough", or was it "sufficient strength"?

    App