weight of trek 2300 frame only?

Dan Baker

Guest
anybody happen to know what an old (90's) trek 2300 carbon/AL frame weighs?

Most of the components and bearings are just about worn out, and I need to make a decision to
replace everything, or start looking around to buy a new bike complete, or build something custom on
a new frame.

seems like the new carbon or carbon-ti frames are in the 2.75 to 3 pound range, but I have no idea
what my old frame would be stripped completely bare for comparision's sake...

thanks,

Dan

Dan: I believe your frame weighs about 3 lbs 3-6 ounces, depending upon frame size.

news:[email protected]...

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dan: I believe your frame weighs about 3 lbs 3-6 ounces, depending upon frame size.
> ----------------

hey, thanks a lot!

sounds like I might be just fine and save a little money by using the old frame and just
replacing/upgrading components. my whole drive-train is just about shot; time to replace chainrings,
chain, cassette, BB. this might be the time to pony up and move to 9 speed since the old 8 speed STI
shifters are getting a little inconsistant.

the one area i could potentially save a fair amount of weight might be to move to a carbon
threadless fork. pretty big $$ though for the fork, headset, and stem to go for something really
light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs, etc.

<snip> fork, headset, and stem to go for something really light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs,
etc. <snip>

Alpha Q Sub 3 is a 300 gm carbon fork if you really want (stupid?) light. I recently purchased but
have yet to install an Alpha Q Pro, just slightly less terrifying at 360 gms, comparable to
Reynolds' lightest.

App

[email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip> fork, headset, and stem to go for something really light like ouzo pro, ritchey wcs,
> etc. <snip>
>
> Alpha Q Sub 3 is a 300 gm carbon fork if you really want (stupid?) light. I recently purchased but
> have yet to install an Alpha Q Pro, just slightly less terrifying at 360 gms, comparable to
> Reynolds' lightest.
> ----------------

wow.... thats light.

well, I guess if you're still posting a year from now, we'll know the fork is holding together. ;)
seriously, I'd have to believe that there would still be a pretty good safety factor built in since
no OEM would want to risk massive liability.

<snip> wow.... thats light.

> well, I guess if you're still posting a year from now, we'll know the fork is holding together. ;)
> seriously, I'd have to believe that there would still be a pretty good safety factor built in
> since no OEM would want to risk massive liability.

<snip>

Sub 3 has max 200 lb rider. Pro has no limit. Sub 3 has the "endorsement" of Leonard Zinn - I think
he said something like "more than strong enough", or was it "sufficient strength"?

App