Weight Problems

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by powinc, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. powinc

    powinc Guest

    At 95kg can I just choose any aluminium road bike frame with certainty
    or should I be selective? And does the same apply for wheels, are some
    more weight bearing than others?

    powinc

  2. powinc

    powinc Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > I used to weigh 93kg and i from my experience maybe another material may
    > be better to consider for a frame. I have broken every aluminium frame i
    > have had, the longest lasting only 6 months. Essentially, the bigger the
    > frame, the less robust it will be compared to a smaller frame. I have
    > had the same carbon fibre frame for 5 years and you can never go past
    > the joys of steel. Wheels are another thing to really consider and there
    > was a post a couple of weeks ago on the equipment forum discussing
    > wheels for bigger riders. Mavic CXP30's are strong and the more spokes
    > you have the stronger your wheel will be. Invest in a good stem and
    > handlebar as well. You dont want these breaking as you go around a
    > corner at speed (which has happened to me twice!).
    > It sucks in a way having to invest a bit more because you are bigger but
    > its also likely that you will be stronger than other riders :p

    Thanks for that Byron.

    I didn't realise that Al. bikes broke that often, I knew most Al frames
    had extensive warrenties against breakage. I have planned to lose some
    weight anyway.

    powinc

  3. rek

    rek Guest

    powinc wrote:
    > At 95kg can I just choose any aluminium road bike frame with certainty
    > or should I be selective? And does the same apply for wheels, are some
    > more weight bearing than others?

    You shouldn't have much of a problem at that weight as long as you buy a
    half decent make. I weigh just under 90kg (was 95-ish) and have owned a
    Raceline Alum MTB, and now own two Cannondales (based on CAAD5 road and
    CAAD5 mountain frames) and they have all held up just fine. Obviously
    the Raceline was a lot flexier than the 'dales .. I haven't had any
    problems with comfort either.

    As for wheels, you'll have no problem with a quality set of handbuilt 32
    spoke rims with CXP33 or Open Pro rims. Machine-built wheels can be a
    bit iffy though, they seem to go out of true a lot easier. I've even
    heard of people our weight using Ksyriums without any hassles ...

  4. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    powinc wrote:
    > Thanks for that Byron.
    > I didn't realise that Al. bikes broke that often, I knew most Al frame
    > had extensive warrenties against breakage. I have planned to lose some
    > weight anyway.
    > powinc

    Yeah, i guess you do have the warranty, and that is good for piece of
    mind, but for me i just got sick of having a bike for a few months and
    then waiting 1-3 months to get a new frame each time. It is really an
    inconvenience.

  5. powinc

    powinc Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > I used to weigh 93kg and i from my experience maybe another material may
    > be better to consider for a frame. I have broken every aluminium frame i
    > have had, the longest lasting only 6 months. Essentially, the bigger the
    > frame, the less robust it will be compared to a smaller frame. I have
    > had the same carbon fibre frame for 5 years and you can never go past
    > the joys of steel. Wheels are another thing to really consider and there
    > was a post a couple of weeks ago on the equipment forum discussing
    > wheels for bigger riders. Mavic CXP30's are strong and the more spokes
    > you have the stronger your wheel will be. Invest in a good stem and
    > handlebar as well. You dont want these breaking as you go around a
    > corner at speed (which has happened to me twice!).
    > It sucks in a way having to invest a bit more because you are bigger but
    > its also likely that you will be stronger than other riders :p

    Thanks for that Byron.

    I didn't realise that Al. bikes broke that often, I knew most Al frame
    had extensive warrenties against breakage. I have planned to lose some
    weight anyway.

    powinc

  6. powinc

    powinc Guest

    rek wrote:
    > You shouldn't have much of a problem at that weight as long as you buy a
    > half decent make. I weigh just under 90kg (was 95-ish) and have owned a
    > Raceline Alum MTB, and now own two Cannondales (based on CAAD5 road and
    > CAAD5 mountain frames) and they have all held up just fine. Obviously
    > the Raceline was a lot flexier than the 'dales .. I haven't had any
    > problems with comfort either.
    > As for wheels, you'll have no problem with a quality set of handbuilt 32
    > spoke rims with CXP33 or Open Pro rims. Machine-built wheels can be a
    > bit iffy though, they seem to go out of true a lot easier. I've even
    > heard of people our weight using Ksyriums without any hassles ...

    Thanks for that info, Rek

    I've been looking for a 2nd hand road bike and a Cannondale would be
    nice, I might pickup a Caad 3 or 4 for about $1.5K, it's just a matter
    of finding one.

    As for the wieght issue, it was brought to my attention by the guy who
    makes the Evolution frames in Geelong www.evolution.net.au. He had a 2nd
    hand frame there, but he said I may be a little heavy for it??

    As for the wheels, should I steer away from the Shimano 540 type which
    seem to have less spokes? And I 'll keep an eye out for CXP33 or
    Ksyriums rim when choosing the next bike.

    So as you said I will stick to the decent brands and take it easy on the
    bike untill I down down to about 85kg.

    Thanx again for your help powinc

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I used to weigh 93kg and i from my experience maybe another material may
    > be better to consider for a frame. I have broken every aluminium frame i
    > have had, the longest lasting only 6 months.

    How big were these frames? I weight 97kg and I've never
    broken a frame.. well, not counting the ones that have been
    run into something hard!
    Are you talking about mtb or road frames? Both my alu
    mtb and my alu road bike are fine after a few years of
    "heavy" use.

    What were you doing - hucking your 'dale off your shed
    roof or something?!

    > Invest in a good stem and
    > handlebar as well. You dont want these breaking as you go
    > around a corner at speed (which has happened to me twice!).

    Damn, you are one unlucky dude!
    Are you buying super cheap parts or what?

    > It sucks in a way having to invest a bit more because you are bigger but
    > its also likely that you will be stronger than other riders :p

    Nice in theory.. unfortunately it doesn't always help. Skinny b*tards! ;-)

    hippy

  8. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "powinc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At 95kg can I just choose any aluminium road bike frame with certainty
    > or should I be selective? And does the same apply for wheels, are some
    > more weight bearing than others?
    >
    > powinc

    As a heavy big bloke (6'4", 100kg), the frames I have had have not been a
    problem (steel road frames however - now on a Al MTB frame) - the biggest
    issue has been the wheels.

    As I can never afford a top of the line bike, I end up with pretty crappy
    stock wheels - and these usually need replacing within about a year (rims
    and spokes at least). I had replaced everything enough on my road bike I had
    so that it ran beautifully on the wheels - and they no longer needed to be
    retrued every 2 months.

    I had a Shimano Deore LX front hub, Campaglio front rim, Atlanta 1996 rear
    rim and an unknown rear hub.

    Your mileage may vary however - I was doing all weather commuting and
    knocking it round a bit.

    Cheers,

    Tim

  9. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Hippy wrote:
    > "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fc2d6-
    > [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > I used to weigh 93kg and i from my experience maybe another material
    > > may be better to consider for a frame. I have broken every aluminium
    > > frame i have had, the longest lasting only 6 months.

    > How big were these frames? I weight 97kg and I've never broken a frame..
    > well, not counting the ones that have been run into something hard! Are
    > you talking about mtb or road frames? Both my alu mtb and my alu road
    > bike are fine after a few years of "heavy" use.
    > What were you doing - hucking your 'dale off your shed roof or
    > something?!
    > > Invest in a good stem and handlebar as well. You dont want these
    > > breaking as you go around a corner at speed (which has happened to me
    > > twice!).

    > Damn, you are one unlucky dude! Are you buying super cheap parts or
    > what?
    > > It sucks in a way having to invest a bit more because you are bigger
    > > but its also likely that you will be stronger than other riders :p

    > Nice in theory.. unfortunately it doesn't always help. Skinny
    > b*tards! ;-)
    > hippy

    ok, ill tell the truth. i was a courier so they were getting more the
    usual abuse i guess:D

  10. rek

    rek Guest

    powinc [/i]
    I've been looking for a 2nd hand road bike and a Cannondale would be nice, I might pickup a Caad 3 or 4 for about $1.5K, it's just a matter of finding one.[/quote]
    As much as I like Cannondale frames, I have to add the disclaimer that they seem to be a love or hate proposition with a lot of people.. it'd be worthwhile giving one a go and seeing how you like them.

    Well, the guy does wrote:
    > build the frames .. :p
    > For what it's worth, (at 95kg) I was advised that I was at the upper
    > limit of what a Giant TCR alu frame would be durable with .. (this was
    > from the mouth of a Giant dealer, no less!)
    > As for the wheels, should I steer away from the Shimano 540 type which
    > seem to have less spokes? And I 'll keep an eye out for CXP33 or
    > Ksyriums rim when choosing the next bike.

    A common OEM wheel on low- to mid-range road bikes are the Mavic CXP21
    or 22, which aren't half bad. You won't find Ksyriums at that price
    point (they're Mavic's high-$ prebuilt racing wheelset) unless you just
    want the wheels and no bike to go with them. ;)

    I haven't really heard much at all good about the Shimano 535/540
    wheelsets ..