Weight Training for Cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by splattingly, Sep 6, 2004.

1. splattingly

splattingly New Member

Hi Guys,

This may be a debatable subject but could you give some advice as to weight training for cycling? I guess the best way to develop fitness and speed is to just ride, but are there specific exercises/routines you would recommend?

Although currently I'm cycling just to develop my base fitness, I'm very interested in training for the sprint circuit where I've heard weights do play a part in developing explosive strength. I know my way around the gym very well but to date my training has been rowing oriented (plus 'vanity' weights here and there!) and I'm not sure how this would differ to sprint/high intensity cycling training. I don't have the physique of a typical cyclist so I may have to sacrifice some of this mass.

Another question about nutrition - am I right in thinking that to compensate for these long rides we must consume A LOT of calories. I don't really want to fluctuate with my weight too much (c. 82K) so I guess I would need to spend most of the day eating!
    Thanks so much for your help

Tags:

2. heheheha

heheheha New Member

Do front squats. Warm up with just the bar, ten reps. Sme people then work there way up to that days weight, I myself just stretch and then pile it on. Though you may want to build up some upper body so that you don't run into the same problem I have, which is unable to add more weight since I can no longer lift the bar above my head ;) I do 3 sets of 10 reps once the weight is on. I also work on my calfs while the bar is on my shoulders. Simply hold the bar, and then lift yourself with your toes, and then lower yourself, ten teimes, 3 sets. I used to do legs curls but I find I've yet to find a seat that doesn't dig into my legs from going against that weight...

That's what I do, there's probably more but I find that this has been VERY beneficial for brute strength and power. Also don't forget that this is just half the answer to going faster, since a higher RPM will also increase your speed.

3. splattingly

splattingly New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've been doing squats (back and front) for some time now - an absolute world of pain as you probably know! I do find myself doing front squats more often than back - better quad isolation and less pressure on my back. I'll work on higher rep stuff too.

Cheers,

4. heheheha

heheheha New Member

Higher rep stuff is more to define your muscles. Low rep/high weight will give you mass. For a faster spin I use my old messenger bike (A bianchi MTB converted to SS). I have it at a 32/16 gear and I go out and will alternate with a normal cadence and then do a few minutes at a much higher than normal RPM, then back to normal, and I do that for a while. This is more something I made up, so it may or may not be the best way, but it certainly has worked for me.

5. velomanct

velomanct New Member

how the heck do you hold the bar in front squats? it looks awfully painful and impossible to put much weight on the bar.

6. splattingly

splattingly New Member

Hi,

It works pretty well with a cross-hand grip and balancing it on your shoulders. Maybe just do a search on the net to see some demo-pics.

You certainly can't lift the same weight as with normal back-squats but you get a better quad workout. I would hardly say it was enjoyable but no leg weights are really!!!

7. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Usually it helps to pad the bar with a towel. I used to wrap a towel 2 or three times round the centre of the bar to ease pressure on the shoulders. Even so, I always had problems with my ability to keep the bar firmly on my shoulders and I suspect it's easier for those people who have big traps and wide shoulders - more bar space available.

8. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Training Myth Alert!

High rep weight training does not give one better muscular definition any more than low rep weight training. Losing the fat stores in the adipose tissues is what gives a person better definition. Period.

9. heheheha

heheheha New Member

Meh...OH well...thanx for the info then... :)