Weight training for cycling

I am going to pull out of Post Grad study and start OBC.

Opinon Based Coaching. Clearly this evidence concept is not grabbing the hearts and minds of the punters:D

dhk2 said:
Don't be a skeptic Tony....after seeing your photo a few months ago, I can see how adding a few more pounds of lean muscle could do wonders for your racing. Just look at the elite and pro racers and tell me that they aren't pumping iron in the off-season :)

Thanks for assisting me in pulling my head out...got led down the primrose path for a moment but I'll be back in the gym tonight gettin' right on those deadlifts, squats, barbell lunges, etc. as it currently is my off-season...thanks again:cool:...

GoldenGator said:
So here's another 2cents comment on what I've taken from all the (mis)information out there about weight training. First, weight loss is achieved by consuming less calories than you burn in a given day. If you do no aerobic exercize and eat only rice cakes for the next two months you'll loose weight (not recommended). The point is controlling you calorie intake versus the amount of activity you perform will yeild weight loss and shooting for 1-2lbs per week is ideal.

Ok, on to the weight training for cycling. There is substantial evidence suggesting cyclist who increase weight training in the off season will see benefits in performance when spring rolls around (i.e. weight training=good). I do not believe there is any reasonable benefit to weight training more than once a week when you could be out on the road in the spring (i.e. leaves on trees=hit the roads).

As far as exercizes, ALL exercizes should be compound movements requiring more than one joint/muscle group and require the support of your core. The best exercizes are squats (standing barbell), leg extensions (if you feel there is a muscle imbalance in your hammys), bent rows, pullups or lat pull downs, standing shoulder presses, bench press, dips, dead lifts and power cleans.

A typical off season workout for me is a full body routine 2x/wk. This takes about 30 minutes followed by 30minutes running on the treadmill (triathlon training). Squats, Leg Extensions, Tricep Dips, standing dumbell Shoulder Press (I had surgery requiring dumbells but barbell is better), bent rows, core exercizes (lower back and abs). I do 3 sets of each exercize and try for reps 15-12-10 with the last set to failure. The core work is to failure on every exercize and high reps (20-30+). Each set is followed by less than 1 minute recovery and I immediately hit the treadmill for 3-4miles (30minutes).

Lastly, the gym is not your local pub. You go with a training goal, focus, FOCUS, and perform each exercize slowly and correctly. Bring a water bottle so you're not tempted to waste time at the fountain or chatting with your buddy. Weight training in the offseason will pay dividends. But the best return on investment is miles on the bike!! It takes years of training to generate real power so be patient and plan ahead!

Opinions vary,
mine is the oppisite to yours and l come from a competion powerlifting backround but if you feel lifting helps your cycling performance then so be it lift but no amount of preaching will change my mind or the minds of many on this forum,
l'll take a 20kg + backpack and a trek into the mountains and do something remotely aerobic anyday over a sweaty smelly gym.
Just my 2cents also :)

Weight training on a bike. Get a 50lb bag of cement and stick it in a rucksack - then pop it on your back and go for a ride :D. Find a 10% hill that's a couple of miles long, put it in a gear bike enough to force you to ride out of the saddle at 70rpm and it'll feel like weight training and will give anyone who sees you a bit of a laugh...

GoldenGator said:
There is substantial evidence suggesting cyclist who increase weight training in the off season will see benefits in performance when spring rolls around (i.e. weight training=good).
Please provide said evidence or links to this evidence.

^^ If I were you, I wouldn't be holdin' my breath waiting for this "evidence"...heck, this is an internet forum - is providing evidence really necessary? The fact that the expert made the statement is proof of its veracity...yes? no?...

Alex Simmons said:
Please provide said evidence or links to this evidence.
I'd love to see the evidence too! Actually, I'm not sure if you'd love to see it or not, but I know I would!

GoldenGator said:
I do not believe there is any reasonable benefit to weight training more than once a week when you could be out on the road in the spring (i.e. leaves on trees=hit the roads).
The general rule I recall from the work of a man named Lyle McDonald is that if you're going to switch from a strength gaining to a strength maintaining phase, you can cut your volume down to as little as one third.

tonyzackery said:
The fact that the expert hasn't made the statement is proof of its lack of veracity...yes? no?...

Is that an equally true statement with my bolded changes?

GoldenGator said:
...There is substantial evidence suggesting cyclist who increase weight training in the off season will see benefits in performance when spring rolls around (i.e. weight training=good)...

Care to elaborate on the substantial evidence?

Because the studies I've seen say the exact opposite, ie: you're best off trying to cycle during winter rather than push weights.

A synopsis:-
Strength Training and Endurance

Tony, Alex, Enriss, Tapeworm (and anyone else I missed), you all are missing the point I'm afraid.

The word of an 'internets' expert is more than ample proof in an of itself.

Worry yourselves not with superfluous details such as evidence and science and heed the advice above.;)

Now proceed directly to the gym and start lifting..............(especially encouraged if you are going to be racing against me)

swampy1970 said:
Weight training on a bike. Get a 50lb bag of cement and stick it in a rucksack - then pop it on your back and go for a ride :D. Find a 10% hill that's a couple of miles long, put it in a gear bike enough to force you to ride out of the saddle at 70rpm and it'll feel like weight training and will give anyone who sees you a bit of a laugh...

:D

That might actually work. At the very least, after you take the 50lb rucksack off you'll FEEL faster.....