Weight training for Endurance track

macaj

Nov 6, 2007
Hi, I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were towards using a weight training program (eg low weight, high reps), for more endurance orientated track events such as the individual pursuit, scratch race, points race etc.
Thanks in advance.

Since no one has answered, I'll give it a shot:
My feeling is that weights for the enduro events are not as important as for sprints. However, weights may help you if you are not able to turn over a big gear from a standing start, which can be useful even in enduro events such as pursuit, etc.
For much better and more informed opinions from real coaches, my advice is to visit www.fixedgearfever.com which has an extremely active forum (unlike this one :p )

It wouldn't hurt to do some squats with light weights and some leg extensions, but I would think ridig your bike uphill would be the best way to train.

macaj said:
Hi, I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were towards using a weight training program (eg low weight, high reps), for more endurance orientated track events such as the individual pursuit, scratch race, points race etc.
Thanks in advance.

Negative on the weights assisting in these events - maybe weightlifting will assist with your standing start in the pursuit. Just ride your bike more and/or incorporate some different intervals if you're seeking variety. There's a significant mass of posts in some of the other sections in this forum on this topic.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel with my comments but suffice to say you can replicate similar efforts on your bike as you can lifting weights. You can ride a bigger gear than normal for a relatively short amount of time if you desire to build leg strength. More importantly, specificity of mechanics/intensity/duration is always paramount when training properly for any endurance event.

I lift weights exclusively for the core strengthening it can provide - not for any ancillary improvement in endurance when on the bike; if there are any actual benefits.