Weight training programs for triathletes?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Jeff Richert, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Jeff Richert

    Jeff Richert Guest

    Hi there,

    I am a 4 time Ironman finisher - but never seem to crack the 11h40 mark in races - I have done
    Canada and Australia.

    I just attempted to complete the Las Vegas marathon and seem to continually incur ITB injuries at
    mile 18-20 in my races/runs. I thought the injury was heeled from IMCanada in August - but it came
    back hard on the course.

    I have decided that although my aerobic fitness is probably enough to carry me through the distance
    - I "break" down physically under the conditions.

    I would like to incorporate a core/leg strengthening routine to my training and was wondering if
    anyone out there knows of a good weight training program to follow or if they have any advice on who
    to contact.

    I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

    Cheers!

    JR

    --
    ___________________________________
    Jeff Richert 206 815 50th Ave SW Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2S 1H8 403-701-2415 (voicemail) 403-255-

    "It's a line you have to cross to understand."

    Tags:

  2. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:41:17 GMT, "Jeff Richert" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am a 4 time Ironman finisher - but never seem to crack the 11h40 mark in races - I have done
    >Canada and Australia.
    >
    >I just attempted to complete the Las Vegas marathon and seem to continually incur ITB injuries at
    >mile 18-20 in my races/runs. I thought the injury was heeled from IMCanada in August - but it came
    >back hard on the course.
    >
    >I have decided that although my aerobic fitness is probably enough to carry me through the distance
    >- I "break" down physically under the conditions.
    >
    >I would like to incorporate a core/leg strengthening routine to my training and was wondering if
    >anyone out there knows of a good weight training program to follow or if they have any advice on
    >who to contact.
    >
    >I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.
    >
    >Cheers!
    >
    >JR

    I'm not real sure a typical leg strength training regime woudl help ITBS or not. I'm not
    100% sure here but the ITB is expressly used to control pronation of the foot. Most leg
    workouts ain at building strrength of the quads, glutes and hamstrings for more power.
    Here is a link to an excercise that is expressly for strengthing the muscles that are
    involved in ITBS.

    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0168b.htm

    I've found however that the key for me in controlling my ITBS is Stretching, Avoiding downhill
    runs, Rolling, and then some more stretching. I've done the above excercises after really flaring
    up my ITB but I haven't be as consistant with it as I would need to be in order to say whether or
    not it help me.

    ~Matt