Weight Training Recommendations?

cj_jessty

New Member
Jan 28, 2003
I own this great gym equipment in my basement since last year and I have to say that I really don't know what I'm doing. My background is in Triathlon but since having my first baby last year, swimming is impossible and so I think I might try Duathlon for a while.

I once placed at the Duathlon Worlds and I have since taken off about 5 years. I am in "shape" but nowhere near racing shape. I am also a triathlon coach but can't seem to coach myself.

Can anyone recommend a good book or video or something so that I can learn to maximize my lifting time? It would be great to be able to use the weights to my advantage. I used to know what I was doing in the weight room, but all the rules have changed and I'm thinking I don't know as much anymore.

Thanks in advance,
cj

There was a recent thread in this newsgroup on the subject of weight training. In fact, it comes up
regularly. You might want to use Google to search and read the previous postings.

As I have posted here several times recently, both my wife and I train at home with kettlebells:
small, cast-iron things like look like cannon balls with handles. You may find more information
about them at http://www.kbnj.com, a web site my wife and I maintain that contains links through
which kettlebells and instructional materials may be purchased. If you purchase through our links,
we make a small commission.

In the meantime, you might want to tell us exactly what it is you've got in your basement -
machines, freeweights, a power rack, dumbbells, etc.
- and we might be able to make some suggestions. You might also want to ask on news:
alt.sport.weightlifting or news:misc.fitness.weights. The former is a low-volume, generally
on-topic newsgroup while the latter is much higher in traffic volume and generally a more wild,
wolly and, in my opinion, fun place.

My wife and I also own several books and videos authored by Pavel Tsatsouline, the author of the
kettlebell training materials. Pavel's book, "Power To The People!" is all about being skinny/strong
and I recommend it very highly. You can find it through those same links and the same disclaimer
applies. The basic PTTP program is done 3-5 days per week, usually at home, takes about 20 minutes
and requires about $150 worth of equipment if you don't own it already. The book/program was
recommended to me on one of the above newsgroups and is how I find out about Pavel and later got
into kettlebell training.

Why is swimming impossible? At least at our local YMCA, child care is provided while you're using
the facility and we've got plenty of mothers who swim.

-S-