Weight Watchers AND Atkins

And if I remember correctly that is only so that you won't stall. For some people, any amount of
cheese will cause them to stall. With WW you have to account for everything you eat too. So
what's the difference? If someone can't follow the WW diet then how are they going to follow the
Atkins diet?

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> thats why u are limited to 3 - 4 ounces a day of the stuff you have to account for everything that
> you put in your mouth to make sure that you
only
> eat 20 carbs for the first 14 days. "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ploJb.584897$0v4.23250172@bgtnsc04-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I have also read that too much cheese can cause you to plateau while on Atkins.
> >
> > "Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > you just eat cheese and use cream, but there is certian kinds of
cheese
> > you
> > > can have. cehck out the site for the infor www.atkins.com angie "Laura"
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:iekJb.583671$0v4.23218881@bgtnsc04-
> > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > eliminated.

> > > follow
> > the
> > > Weight
> at
> > > the
> > programs,
> > are

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If someone can't follow the WW diet then how are they going to follow the Atkins diet?

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And Angela, You seem to be having a really hard time getting started on Atkins. If it's so hard is
it really for you?

AIUI on Atkins you must limit carbs to almost nothing for a week or so to change your metabolism to
ketosis. Every time you eat too many carbs, your body comes out of ketosis and you are back to
square one. Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. If you can't get into ketosis and stay there it's
pointless trying to cut out carbs.

I like the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe with a bit more protein than 'normal' - 25-30% instead
of 20%, hopefully at the expense of fat rather than carbs.

ATkins is not something I'd want to do for any length of time, and it's something I'd hate to do
'cos I'd have to give up rice and pasta (and squash, and potatoes, and ...)

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

i'm not the only one who has had a hard start to atkins. i have heard of
others. i have almost given up the things that i have been having trouble
with. i'm trying one more time tonight. at work. you try working where you r
tempted by so much,
this is the final time i am retrying. i know that i can do weight
watchers i have lost 30lbs so far with it. i can do atkins just need to work
at it.
angie
"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If someone can't follow the WW diet then how are they going to follow the Atkins
diet?

> I agree wholeheartedly with this.
>
> And Angela, You seem to be having a really hard time getting started on Atkins. If it's so hard is
> it really for you?
>
> AIUI on Atkins you must limit carbs to almost nothing for a week or so to change your metabolism
> to ketosis. Every time you eat too many carbs, your body comes out of ketosis and you are back to
> square one. Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. If you can't get into ketosis and stay there
> it's pointless trying to cut out carbs.
>
> I like the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe with a bit more protein than 'normal' - 25-30%
> instead of 20%, hopefully at the expense of fat rather than carbs.
>
> ATkins is not something I'd want to do for any length of time, and it's something I'd hate to do
> 'cos I'd have to give up rice and pasta (and squash, and potatoes, and ...)
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

Angie, many of us may not work with the daily temptations - but we LIVE with them. I raise children
as well as have a husband who eat what they feel like. They bring food into the home, they eat what
THEY want to, which is rarely what I am willing to. I also purchase their favorite goodies. I can
CHOOSE to eat those things, or I can CHOOSE not to. It is totally up to me. Only if someone holds or
ties you down and crams it down your throat does it not become a personal choice. You will
constantly be surrounded by temptations, that's a normal part of daily life. The only way to avoid
them is to quit living, stay holed up inside the safety of our homes. In my case, that isn't even a
safe place where food is concerned ... I'd have to move into the garage. <g> Guess it boils down to
the reasons vs. excuses line of thinking.

I also know many people who had a tough time on Atkins. I have followed Atkins, it did take the
weight off quickly - but it didn't keep the weight off. My daughter had the same problem. Lost 70
pounds on atkins, put it right back on though. Unfortunately, ALMOST giving up those carbs just
isn't good enough on atkins - it's more of an all or nothing beginning. I am not opposed to atkins,
or any other weightloss program. Each of us needs to find what works for us. I do have one question
though. You were extremely successful when you did weight watchers and it did work for you. Why are
you then trying something else to lose the last bit of weight you want to?

Joyce

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:14:09 -0500, "Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i'm not the only one who has had a hard start to atkins. i have heard of others. i have almost
>given up the things that i have been having trouble with. i'm trying one more time tonight. at
>work. you try working where you r tempted by so much, this is the final time i am retrying. i know
>that i can do weight watchers i have lost 30lbs so far with it. i can do atkins just need to work
>at it. angie "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >If someone can't follow the WW diet then how are they going to follow the Atkins
>diet?
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly with this.
>>
>> And Angela, You seem to be having a really hard time getting started on Atkins. If it's so hard
>> is it really for you?
>>
>> AIUI on Atkins you must limit carbs to almost nothing for a week or so to change your metabolism
>> to ketosis. Every time you eat too many carbs, your body comes out of ketosis and you are back to
>> square one. Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. If you can't get into ketosis and stay there
>> it's pointless trying to cut out carbs.
>>
>> I like the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe with a bit more protein than 'normal' - 25-30%
>> instead of 20%, hopefully at the expense of fat rather than carbs.
>>
>> ATkins is not something I'd want to do for any length of time, and it's something I'd hate to do
>> 'cos I'd have to give up rice and pasta (and squash, and potatoes, and ...)
>>
>> Ray
>> --
>> rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

I've been trying to stay away from this conversation because I have some strong opinions about
Atkins. I'm responding to this because I want to say "Thank you, Joyce". You are so right about
living with temptation. I also have kids and a husband who eat a lot of foods I would not be able to
eat if I were on Atkins but because of choosing a WOL instead I can CHOOSE to have them in
moderation or skip them all together. I also work in a school where we have something put in the
staff lounge everyday--usually sugary and I have to CHOOSE to eat them or stay away from them
(teachers tend to like to eat a lot, at least in our District!!!), but it's a "temptation" I will
have to live with the rest of my life and do with what I will.

Now since I've responded to this I'm going to put in my 2 cents. I have had many friends do Atkins
who have followed it to the letter. They lost weight quickly, after they got over the withdrawl,
however within the first week of not following it to the letter put all the weight back on. One of
the people who had this happen is a gentleman who never really needed to lose much in the first
place, lost 15 pounds on Atkins, went off for 1 week and put on 10 pounds within that week. He
exercises daily so lack of exercise is not an issue (works out aerobically and with weights). I have
a neice who did Atkins she lost about 25 pounds, she stopped following the program and put back on
about 15 pounds--she took it back off after starting a sensible diet and exercise and has kept it
off with that.

I read a study that says people need almost 200 grams of carbs a day for proper brain metabolism and
muscle function. This is not carbs from soda and sugar but carbs from fruit, vegi's, brown rice and
pasta, wheat flour, whole grain breads, etc... This I believe is one of the problems they are
finding in people who follow Atkins for any length of time, not to mention those who don't watch
their fat intake and end up having heart problems.

Yes, people have to find what works for them--if Atkins works, great, by all means do it. I just
worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight "today". A
lot of people start something like Atkins--I used to be one of them--and then get to goal and think
it's all over they can eat what they want. With Atkins or any other low-carb diet, like any other
"fad" DIET you have to remain on it for life to keep it off. Atkins or other low-carb you may be
able to keep it off longer than a "fad" diet but it will creep back up as you add carbs to your
eating. With WW or RS or similar programs the weight comes of slower but it is a WOL people can live
with and you don't have to worry about what happens when you have a candy bar once a week or a soda
at a party (you get the idea).

Sorry this is so long, like I said, just my 2 cents. If Atkins works for you great!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> >>
> >> AIUI on Atkins you must limit carbs to almost nothing for a week or so to change your
> >> metabolism to ketosis. Every time you eat too many carbs, your body comes out of ketosis and
> >> you are back to square one. Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. If you can't get into ketosis
> >> and stay there it's pointless trying to cut out carbs.
> >>
> >> I like the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe with a bit more protein than 'normal' - 25-30%
> >> instead of 20%, hopefully at the expense of fat rather than carbs.
> >>
> >> ATkins is not something I'd want to do for any length of time, and it's something I'd hate to
> >> do 'cos I'd have to give up rice and pasta (and squash, and potatoes, and ...)
> >>
> >> Ray
> >> --
> >> rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

> I just worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight

A FOAF was complaining to me the other day that "everyone else has got this sickness bug except me"
I asked why she was complaining and she told me "They're all losing weight without having to try"

This is from the person who has tried every diet going - cabbage soup/WW/atkins etc. She sticks to
them for about a week, loses a few pounds then decides it's not quick enough and stops for a while
before trying the next quick fix. She said to our mutual friend that she was jealous that I've lost
60lb in the last year and she 'just can't'. She complained that the average loss of just over a 1lb
a week wasn't quick enough for her.

She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
the same?"

I felt very smug when my friend recounted the conversation to me!

Jane

i am not looking for any quick fixes i know that losing weight takes time
,and i am in no way rushing things i take them one day at a time.
"Just Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I just worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight
> > "today".
>
> A FOAF was complaining to me the other day that "everyone else has got
this
> sickness bug except me" I asked why she was complaining and she told me "They're all losing weight
> without having to try"
>
> This is from the person who has tried every diet going - cabbage soup/WW/atkins etc. She sticks to
> them for about a week, loses a few
pounds
> then decides it's not quick enough and stops for a while before trying the next quick fix. She
> said to our mutual friend that she was jealous that
I've
> lost 60lb in the last year and she 'just can't'. She complained that the average loss of just over
> a 1lb a week wasn't quick enough for her.
>
> She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
> the same?"
>
> I felt very smug when my friend recounted the conversation to me!
>
> Jane

Jane,

I used to be that way. A pound a week wasn't enough so I tried it all too!! It took a new mind set
about September to realize if I just keep going a pound a week adds up pretty quickly!! While I
would like to lose 50 pounds before July I realized last night the way to do it is to add 2 days (at
least) of exercise each week to the 3 I already do--not to stop eating or diet!!!!

Congratulations on your loss and continued success--doesn't it feel good to hear about a
conversation like the one you heard!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Just Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JiSJb.16511$526.110254@newsfep4-
glfd.server.ntli.net...
> > I just worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight
> > "today".
>
> A FOAF was complaining to me the other day that "everyone else has got
this
> sickness bug except me" I asked why she was complaining and she told me "They're all losing weight
> without having to try"
>
> This is from the person who has tried every diet going - cabbage soup/WW/atkins etc. She sticks to
> them for about a week, loses a few
pounds
> then decides it's not quick enough and stops for a while before trying the next quick fix. She
> said to our mutual friend that she was jealous that
I've
> lost 60lb in the last year and she 'just can't'. She complained that the average loss of just over
> a 1lb a week wasn't quick enough for her.
>
> She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
> the same?"
>
> I felt very smug when my friend recounted the conversation to me!
>
> Jane

I was in no way implying you were looking for a quick fix, I hope I didn't upset you. Most of the
people I have 'met' through ASDWW seem to be really sensible.

Jane

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i am not looking for any quick fixes i know that losing weight takes time ,and i am in no way
> rushing things i take them one day at a time. "Just Me" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > > I just worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight
> > > "today".
> >
> > A FOAF was complaining to me the other day that "everyone else has got
> this
> > sickness bug except me" I asked why she was complaining and she told me "They're all losing
> > weight without having to try"
> >
> > This is from the person who has tried every diet going - cabbage soup/WW/atkins etc. She sticks
> > to them for about a week, loses a few
> pounds
> > then decides it's not quick enough and stops for a while before trying
the
> > next quick fix. She said to our mutual friend that she was jealous that
> I've
> > lost 60lb in the last year and she 'just can't'. She complained that the average loss of just
> > over a 1lb a week wasn't quick enough for her.
> >
> > She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
> > the same?"
> >
> > I felt very smug when my friend recounted the conversation to me!
> >
> > Jane

Angie,

I also hope you realize I was not implying you are looking for a quick fix. The people I know who
have done Atkins or other low-carb have been looking for a quick fix!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i am not looking for any quick fixes i know that losing weight takes time ,and i am in no way
> rushing things i take them one day at a time. "Just Me" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > > I just worry about people who are looking for a quick fix because they want to lose the weight
> > > "today".
> >
> > A FOAF was complaining to me the other day that "everyone else has got
> this
> > sickness bug except me" I asked why she was complaining and she told me "They're all losing
> > weight without having to try"
> >
> > This is from the person who has tried every diet going - cabbage soup/WW/atkins etc. She sticks
> > to them for about a week, loses a few
> pounds
> > then decides it's not quick enough and stops for a while before trying
the
> > next quick fix. She said to our mutual friend that she was jealous that
> I've
> > lost 60lb in the last year and she 'just can't'. She complained that the average loss of just
> > over a 1lb a week wasn't quick enough for her.
> >
> > She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
> > the same?"
> >
> > I felt very smug when my friend recounted the conversation to me!
> >
> > Jane
> >

>I have had many friends do Atkins who have followed it to the letter. They lost weight quickly,
>after they got over the withdrawl, however within the first week of not following it to the letter
>put all the weight back on. One of the people who had this happen is a gentleman who never really
>needed to lose much in the first place, lost 15 pounds on Atkins, went off for 1 week and put on 10
>pounds within that week. He exercises daily so lack of exercise is not an issue (works out
>aerobically and with weights). I have a neice who did Atkins she lost about 25 pounds, she stopped
>following the program and put back on about 15 pounds--she took it back off after starting a
>sensible diet and exercise and has kept it off with that.

When you do a low-carb diet you must go into ketosis. This means that you must deplete the body's
store of glycogen. You will lose around 10 pounds of bodyweight most of which is water associated
with the glycogen. When you come out of ketosis the glycogen store is replenished and that 10 pounds
or so comes back very quickly.

The anecdotal stuff you have described above fits in well with this. Your gentleman friend lost 5
pounds. If he was exercising it was probably mostly fat, so that was a good deal. Your neice lost 10
pounds, even better.

I'm not saying Atkins is good, or better, but it is an option for some people. It is a short term
diet rather than a long term WOE. To my mind if someone wants to get rid of 15 pounds very fast,
then Atkins is a good option. But people who do this must realize that they will have to overshoot
their target because they will gain a few pounds when they start eating carbs again.

>With Atkins or any other low-carb diet, like any other "fad" DIET you have to remain on it for life
>to keep it off.

I'm not sure that Low-Carbing is a 'fad' diet. Yes it isn't one most people can stay on for any
length of time, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. It's different, not better or worse.

Ray

--
rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

>She was then asked "Well who's the one 60lb down and who's the one still moaning and weighing
>the same?"

Wonderful. Don't you love it when that happens :)))

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

Ray,

I did not intend to imply low-carb is a "fad" diet in and of itself and I realize there are many
people prone to carb intolerance and need low-carb--however, like fad-diets, in my experience, if
you don't stick with it, the weight all comes back eventually, this seems to hold true more for
those who have lost great amounts of weight this way rather than 5 or 10 pounds. Later in the post I
said you may keep the weight off longer than any "fad" diet but eventually, if my friend continues
to eat like he used to, he will put back on the 5 pounds he lost--he will never be able to eat carbs
like he used to again without gaining it back, he never ate much in the way of that stuff anyway and
he may be a lucky one, others I know aren't.

I believe whole-heartedly that people have to do what is right for them. If low-carb is what is
right, great, by all means do it. Unfortunately, the people I know who have done it have all done it
for the wrong reasons--for the quick fix to lose a lot of weight (with the exception of my gentleman
friend) and it doesn't work for them.

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I have had many friends do Atkins who have followed it to the letter. They lost
weight
> >quickly, after they got over the withdrawl, however within the first week
of
> >not following it to the letter put all the weight back on. One of the people who had this happen
> >is a gentleman who never really needed to lose much in the first place, lost 15 pounds on Atkins,
> >went off for 1 week
and
> >put on 10 pounds within that week. He exercises daily so lack of
exercise
> >is not an issue (works out aerobically and with weights). I have a neice who did Atkins she lost
> >about 25 pounds, she stopped following the
program
> >and put back on about 15 pounds--she took it back off after starting a sensible diet and exercise
> >and has kept it off with that.
>
> When you do a low-carb diet you must go into ketosis. This means that you must deplete the body's
> store of glycogen. You will lose around 10 pounds of bodyweight most of which is water associated
> with the glycogen. When you come out of ketosis the glycogen store is replenished and that 10
> pounds or so comes back very quickly.
>
> The anecdotal stuff you have described above fits in well with this. Your gentleman friend lost 5
> pounds. If he was exercising it was probably mostly fat, so that was a good deal. Your neice lost
> 10 pounds, even better.
>
> I'm not saying Atkins is good, or better, but it is an option for some people. It is a short term
> diet rather than a long term WOE. To my mind if someone wants to get rid of 15 pounds very fast,
> then Atkins is a good option. But people who do this must realize that they will have to overshoot
> their target because they will gain a few pounds when they start eating carbs again.
>
> >With Atkins or any other low-carb diet, like any other "fad" DIET you have to remain on it for
life
> >to keep it off.
>
> I'm not sure that Low-Carbing is a 'fad' diet. Yes it isn't one most people can stay on for any
> length of time, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. It's different, not better or worse.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

I agree about Flex being the greatest diet I've ever been on. I'm postive that it has taught me how
to eat well for the rest of my life.

Carol

318/239.4/169
78.6 lost since December 2002
I am a slim person in process.
"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gotta say, I actually DID atkins lots of times, and always ended up fatter
> than when I started some 6 months after I got sick of it. Did WW lots of
> times too, and usually gained back some, but never all, resulting in my 20
> year long project to now, at goal. Flex in my opinion is the All Time
Best
> Diet ever created. Eat what you like and what feels good, go for healthy
> stuff as much as possible, try new things/combinations to see what works
> best for you. It all fits on the flex plan. I eat a varied balanced
diet.
> My body tells me when I need more protein now. And when I have had
enough.
> Bein in a hurry never got me to goal. The everyday DECISION to not stop
> until I reached goal and to take the suggestions in the WW literature did
> the trick.
>
> Lesanne
> 365(1981)247(rejoin, 2002)157.5(now)164(wwgoal)
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Petal" <mrsdoyles_teapot@#NoSpam#yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I think Lesanne summed it up best (in terms of how to follow both
> > > programmes), so use that as a guideline.
> > >
> > > I'm not entirely convinced that you'd be able to consume enough of a
> > > balanced diet by using the points system with Atkins, though. Atkins
is
> > > ultimately a calorie restricted diet (although it's touted as an "all
> the
> > > fat you can eat" diet by some), but some foods give you more bang for
> your
> > > buck than others. If I follow WW, I can eat 20 points worth of
Twinkies
> > > day and be technically on programme. I am eating few enough calories
> > lose
> > > weight, but I'm obviously not getting enough nutrients. As others have
> > > mentioned, make sure you take all the supplements and vitamins Atkins
> > > suggests in the books, particularly if you're going to count points at
> the
> > > same time.
> > >
> > > Atkins didn't work for me simply because it wasn't a way of eating I
> could
> > > do for life. If you find Atkins too hard to follow, you could always
try
> > > lowER carb (i.e. not as low as Atkins suggests) diet and switch from
> white
> > > breads/pastas/rice to whole grain and keep your sugar intake to a
> minimum.
> > > think that sort of diet might be a bit more suitable with WW...but I'm
> not
> > > dietician, nor do I play one on TV. ;)
> >
> > This is the type of program that WW stresses. They want you to eat the
> RIGHT
> > kind of carbs. And as many have pointed out, no program is going to work
> if
> > you have to give up things that you love. Don't make changes to your
diet
> > that you can't make for the rest of your life. Atkins is a diet while WW
> is
> > a WOE that you can follow for the rest of your life if you want to eat
> > properly and in a healthy way. Eating lowER carbs is really easy and is
> > probably the smarter way of doing things. Have eggs instead of ceral for
> > breakfast, have a salad and chicken instead of a sandwich for lunch.
Skip
> > the potatoes, pasta and rice in favor of lots of green veggies for
dinner.
> > How hard is that? My carbs these days come from my cereal in the morning
> > which is GoLean crunch. Higher protein than most cereals and my skinny
cow
> > or GoLean Crunch bars. Things I don't want to give up. And my diet is
very
> > balanced which I am not convinced that you can do that with the Atkins.
> > BTDT!!! That's why I am now doing WW instead of Atkins.

No one has been putting you down at all, not that I have seen. We all are concerned as it appears
you have been struggling with the new additional program. Low carbs can be incorporated into ww -
but totally combining two programs, one with an entirely different set of extremes - is pretty scary
on its own. We do want you to be successful and reach your goals, but we also want you to do it in a
healthy manner. Weightloss is supposed to be for health benefits - our concerns have only been for
you ... not against you.

Joyce

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:21:38 -0500, "Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>the only reason i stated that is that it seems alot lately that no matter what i say on this news
>group or others i get put down for it. and as a kid growing up i have heard all the comments about
>being over weight or being teased because i am different so what if i am we all are different thats
>what make us special angie "Just Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:mLUJb.16662$FN.8053@newsfep4-
>winn.server.ntli.net...
>> I was in no way implying you were looking for a quick fix, I hope I didn't upset you. Most of the
>> people I have 'met' through ASDWW seem to be really sensible.
>>
>> Jane
>>
>> "Anglea Woollcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > i am not looking for any quick fixes i know that losing weight takes
>time
>> > ,and i am in no way rushing things i take them one day at a time. "Just Me"
>> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JiSJb.16511$526.110254@newsfep4-
>> > glfd.server.ntli.net...

>> > this
>me

>> > pounds
>> the
>that
>> > I've
>the

>still

------=_NextPart_000_088F_01C3D3F0.999FE2F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

Good luck resisting those temptations Angela, cause it sure isn't easy. I am a carb addict, but I
also have an intolerance to bread,pasta etc. = and when I eat it, my body swells up and I go into an
all out binge = fest, carb, sugar, carb....... Have you tried really monitoring how you feel after
you eat just one = cookie or doughnut? I bet you get cranky, feel tired and lose energy = (after the
initial "High"). If you feel like this, then something has to = "click" and you need to work your
butt off to get over the carbs calling = your name <G>. I know it's hard, but it can be done.
Vanessa In OZ :) Overall (Was 273- Current 212- Goal 160 to 140) "Anglea Woollcombe"
<[email protected]> wrote in message = news:[email protected]...
i'm not the only one who has had a hard start to atkins. i have heard = of others. i have almost
given up the things that i have been having = trouble with. i'm trying one more time tonight. at
work. you try working where = you r tempted by so much, this is the final time i am retrying. i know
that i can do weight watchers i have lost 30lbs so far with it. i can do atkins just need = to work
at it. angie "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If someone can't follow the WW diet then how are they going to follow the =
Atkins
diet?

> I agree wholeheartedly with this.
>
> And Angela, You seem to be having a really hard time getting started on Atkins. If it's so hard
> is it really for you?
>
> AIUI on Atkins you must limit carbs to almost nothing for a week or =
so
> to change your metabolism to ketosis. Every time you eat too many carbs, your body comes out of
> ketosis and you are back to square =
one.
> Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. If you can't get into ketosis and stay there it's
> pointless trying to cut out carbs.
>
> I like the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe with a bit more =
protein
> than 'normal' - 25-30% instead of 20%, hopefully at the expense of =
fat
> rather than carbs.
>
> ATkins is not something I'd want to do for any length of time, and it's something I'd hate to do
> 'cos I'd have to give up rice and =
pasta
> (and squash, and potatoes, and ...)
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

------=_NextPart_000_088F_01C3D3F0.999FE2F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4912.300"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Good luck resisting those = temptations=20 Angela, cause it
sure isn't easy.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>I am a carb addict, but I also = have an=20 intolerance to
bread,pasta etc. and when I eat it, my body swells = up and I=20 go into an all out binge
fest, carb, sugar, carb.......</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Have you tried really monitoring = how you=20 feel after you
eat just one cookie or doughnut? I bet you get cranky, = feel tired=20 and lose energy (after
the initial "High"). If you feel like this, then=20 something has to "click" and you need to
work your butt off to get over = the=20 carbs calling your name <G>.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>I know it's hard, but it can be=20 done.</FONT></DIV>
<>Vanessa In OZ :)<BR>Overall (Was 273- Current 212- Goal 160 to =
140)</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-
LEFT: #800080 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV>"Anglea Woollcombe" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>= wrote=20 in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:rMCJb.20=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>i'm=20 not the only one who has had a hard start
to atkins. i have heard=20 of<BR>others. i have almost given up the things that i have been =
having=20 trouble<BR>with. i'm trying one more time tonight. at work. you try = working=20 where you
r<BR>tempted by so much,<BR> this is the final = time i am=20 retrying. i know that i
can do weight<BR>watchers i have lost 30lbs so = far=20 with it. i can do atkins just need to
work<BR>at it.<BR>angie<BR>"ray = miller"=20 <<A =
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>=
=20
wrote in message<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:5krdvv0uido=
[email protected]</A>...<BR>>=20 On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT,
"Laura" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>><BR>= >=20
wrote:<BR>><BR>> >If someone<BR>> >can't follow the WW = diet=20 then how are they
going to follow the Atkins<BR>diet?<BR>><BR>> = I agree=20 wholeheartedly with
this.<BR>><BR>> And Angela, You seem to be = having a=20 really hard time getting
started<BR>> on Atkins. If it's so hard is = it=20 really for you?<BR>><BR>> AIUI on Atkins
you must limit carbs to = almost=20 nothing for a week or so<BR>> to change your metabolism to
ketosis. = Every=20 time you eat too many<BR>> carbs, your body comes out of ketosis = and you=20
are back to square one.<BR>> Ketosis is the whole point of Atkins. = If you=20 can't get into
ketosis<BR>> and stay there it's pointless trying to = cut out=20 carbs.<BR>><BR>> I like
the idea of a balanced diet, but maybe = with a=20 bit more protein<BR>> than 'normal' - 25-30%
instead of 20%, = hopefully at=20 the expense of fat<BR>> rather than carbs.<BR>><BR>>
ATkins = is not=20 something I'd want to do for any length of time, and<BR>> it's = something=20
I'd hate to do 'cos I'd have to give up rice and pasta<BR>> (and = squash,=20 and potatoes, and
...)<BR>><BR>> Ray<BR>> --<BR>> = rmnsuk<BR>>=20 overall -
273/210/182<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_088F_01C3D3F0.999FE2F0--

It felt fantastic, The girl who was doing the complaining spends half her life complaining about her
weight and letting it rule her life, she's only about 30lb overweight so a little commitment and
patience and she could do it.

Jane

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:47:36 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

>No one has been putting you down at all, not that I have seen. We all are concerned as it appears
>you have been struggling with the new additional program. Low carbs can be incorporated into ww -
>but totally combining two programs, one with an entirely different set of extremes - is pretty
>scary on its own. We do want you to be successful and reach your goals, but we also want you to do
>it in a healthy manner. Weightloss is supposed to be for health benefits - our concerns have only
>been for you ... not against you.

I agree with what Joyce said. We want you to succeed. My concern is that you are finding it
difficult. Atkins can give really good results, but it's a difficult path. I also understand that
working in a environment where food is available doesn't make it easier.

Good luck

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

------=_NextPart_000_0236_01C3D3AA.337DA840 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

thank you for ur confidence. i have gone without eating any donuts now = for almost two days.
tonight will be the altimate challenge when i go to = work. i know that i can do this. thanks again
angie "Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... Good luck resisting those temptations Angela, cause it sure
isn't = easy. I am a carb addict, but I also have an intolerance to bread,pasta etc. = and when I
eat it, my body swells up and I go into an all out binge = fest, carb, sugar, carb....... Have you
tried really monitoring how you feel after you eat just one = cookie or doughnut? I bet you get
cranky, feel tired and lose energy = (after the initial "High"). If you feel like this, then
something has to = "click" and you need to work your butt off to get over the carbs calling = your
name <G>. I know it's hard, but it can be done. Vanessa In OZ :) Overall (Was 273- Current 212-
news:[email protected]... i'm not the only one who has had a hard start

------=_NextPart_000_0236_01C3D3AA.337DA840 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thank you for ur confidence. i have = gone without=20 eating any
donuts now for almost two days. tonight will be the altimate=20 challenge when i go to work. i
know that i can do this. thanks=20 again</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>angie</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT:
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<>"Celtic Gal (Vanessa)" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</=
A>>=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]= .com.au</A>...</DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Good luck resisting those = temptations=20 Angela, cause it
sure isn't easy.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>I am a carb addict, but I also = have an=20 intolerance to
bread,pasta etc. and when I eat it, my body swells = up and=20 I go into an all out binge
fest, carb, sugar, carb.......</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>Have you tried really = monitoring how you=20 feel after you
eat just one cookie or doughnut? I bet you get cranky, = feel=20 tired and lose energy (after
the initial "High"). If you feel like = this, then=20 something has to "click" and you need to
work your butt off to get = over the=20 carbs calling your name <G>.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#800080>I know it's hard, but it can = be=20 done.</FONT></DIV>
<>Vanessa In OZ :)<BR>Overall (Was 273- Current 212- Goal 160 to=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:rMCJb.20=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>i'm=20 not the only one who has had a hard start
to atkins. i have heard=20 of<BR>others. i have almost given up the things that i have been =
having=20 trouble<BR>with. i'm trying one more time tonight. at work. you try = working=20 where you
r<BR>tempted by so much,<BR> this is the final = time i=20 am retrying. i know that i
can do weight<BR>watchers i have lost = 30lbs so=20 far with it. i can do atkins just need to
work<BR>at = it.<BR>angie<BR>"ray=20 miller" <<A=20
=
wrote in message<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:5krdvv0uido=
[email protected]</A>...<BR>>=20 On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:40:48 GMT,
"Laura" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>><BR>= >=20
wrote:<BR>><BR>> >If someone<BR>> >can't follow the = WW diet=20 then how are they
going to follow the = Atkins<BR>diet?<BR>><BR>> I=20 agree wholeheartedly with
this.<BR>><BR>> And Angela, You seem = to be=20 having a really hard time getting
started<BR>> on Atkins. If it's = so hard=20 is it really for you?<BR>><BR>> AIUI on Atkins
you must limit = carbs to=20 almost nothing for a week or so<BR>> to change your metabolism to =

ketosis. Every time you eat too many<BR>> carbs, your body comes = out of=20 ketosis and you
are back to square one.<BR>> Ketosis is the whole = point=20 of Atkins. If you can't get into
ketosis<BR>> and stay there it's =

pointless trying to cut out carbs.<BR>><BR>> I like the idea = of a=20 balanced diet, but
maybe with a bit more protein<BR>> than = 'normal' -=20 25-30% instead of 20%, hopefully at
the expense of fat<BR>> = rather than=20 carbs.<BR>><BR>> ATkins is not something I'd
want to do for = any length=20 of time, and<BR>> it's something I'd hate to do 'cos I'd have
to = give up=20 rice and pasta<BR>> (and squash, and potatoes, and = ...)<BR>><BR>>=20
Ray<BR>> --<BR>> rmnsuk<BR>> overall -=20
273/210/182<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0236_01C3D3AA.337DA840--

Low carb diets are like any diet you go off of it and go back to your old
life style and way of eating then yes your going to gain the weight back.
This is the same with weight watchers. you go off program and what happens
you gain the weight back. For me I am trying something new. I am only trying
it for a couple of weeks, if it doesn't work then i don't have to keep it
up. i can just stick to weight watchers. Doesn't mean that i am going to
give this whole thing up because i can't do one part of it. If I did that
then I would not get anywhere in life , nobody would. It doesn't hurt to try
something. I am not giving up on weight watchers as it has helped me to lose
30lb. infact i am still doing weight watchers. I am adding atkins to the mix
like i said to eat even a little more better than i already do.
I have already given up most of the things that i can't have on atkins
even way before i started. so this is the extra boost that i need to give up
the rest and to eat better. every has a choice to eat how they want and to
live how they want to. no one can make them change no matter how hard they
try. also like has ben stated by other people ow carb diets work for some
and not for others. but a person has to find that out for themself before
they realize that it doesn't work. and just because it's not for them
doesn't mean that it doesn't work.
angie