Weight Watchers VS Atkins?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gail, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Gail

    Gail Guest

    I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?

    I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.

    Any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. Lynne

    Lynne Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:01:22 -0500, "Gail" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    If you're looking for a diet to lose a few pounds quickly - Atkins is probably for you. If you're
    looking for a lifestyle change that will help you take the weight off and KEEP it off - you can't go
    wrong with Weight Watchers. There are no quick fixes, and losing weight is never easy. Depends how
    much you want to put in.

    Lynne

    >I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    >Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    >I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

  3. Connie

    Connie Guest

    Gail wrote:
    > I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    > Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    > I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Don't know which is better, have only tried WW and like it!! Welcome to the group!!

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

  4. Zaz

    Zaz Guest

    Hi,

    I asked my doctor the same question before re-joining WW in January. As I said in an earlier
    post, I have hypothyroidism and my medecine is not yet adequately balanced, so my weight is very
    hard to get down.

    When I asked my doctor about dieting, he told me, and I quote: "I wouldn't expect to lose any weight
    if I were you, but starting on Weight Watchers will for sure get you into healthy eating habits,
    which is always a good thing. Atkins is just too weird; don't even go there."

    That did it for me.

    Isabelle

    "Gail" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    > Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    > I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I tried Atkins about 4 years ago. As Isabelle's doc said - too weird. I could not give up the
    fruits and baked potatoes. I could live without the rice, pasta and breads. I also found that I did
    not have the energy I needed to hike and bike and cross-country ski without carbs to provide
    morning umph!

    I had lost about the same on WW's first month as I did on Atkins so really I don't see the quick
    loss being better with Atkins. And with WW I can eat whatever I want as long as I do not overeat.
    That might be a problem for some people - Atkins allows you to eat as much as you want as long as it
    meets the Atkins discipline. Altho, recently I have been reading that even the Atkins proponents are
    suggesting limiting the amounts of foods and intake to more reasonable amounts.

    I know WW works:

    Fred
    219.2/156.8/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:01:22 -0500, "Gail" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    >Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    >I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

  6. Krys

    Krys Guest

    IMHO all diets basically work the same way. Whatever kooky way they do it - cabbage, grapefruit,
    atkins - whatever - what it boils down to is that you eat less calories, and lose weight. In a
    recent TV programme here (Horizon) that investigated Atkins - it's the same. The reason it works -
    mad though his way sounds - is that eating all that protein makes you feel fuller and as a result
    you eat less - the result being you intake less calories. Surprise surprise. (oh, and the fats made
    no difference at all to how full you felt - and eating them didn't make you lose weight either)

    The difference between any of the fad diets and WW is whether or not they can be maintained in the
    long term. WW is about healthy eating for life - not just losing the weight, getting to goal, and
    going back to eating as you did before.. Guess what - if you eat like you did before, you'll soon
    weight what you did before! Atkins may lose you your weight, but the general consensus of opinion
    seems to be that doing it for sustained periods could well have health risks, and is not advisable.

    --
    krys

    UK 157/132/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

    "Gail" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    > Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    > I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  7. since this is a WW group most of us will tell you WW but you need to
    experiment and find what works best for you, Lee
    Gail <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've just started reading this newsgroup, so I don't know if this question has been asked before.
    > Which is better to try and lose weight---weight watchers or atkins?
    >
    > I'm hoping to find a diet that will work for me somewhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  8. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Zaz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I asked my doctor the same question before re-joining WW in January. As I said in an earlier post,
    > I have hypothyroidism and my medecine is not yet adequately balanced, so my weight is very hard to
    > get down.
    >
    > When I asked my doctor about dieting, he told me, and I quote: "I wouldn't expect to lose any
    > weight if I were you, but starting on Weight Watchers will for sure get you into healthy eating
    > habits, which is always a good thing. Atkins is just too weird; don't even go there."
    >
    > That did it for me.
    >
    > Isabelle

    If you're eating healthily and less than before, and the medication gets sorted, the weight will
    probably come down nicely once you stabilize. Good luck!

    I agree with your doctor! Atkins is like the grapefruit diet and all those others - just too weird
    for me! If you have a specific medical problem, it may be the best thing for you, but in the long
    run it didn't do him any good!

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  9. the concept of that much meat gags, Lee
    news:[email protected]...