Weight-weenie bearing question

Slider77

May 19, 2004
For the overly obsessive weight-weenies out there:
I had a friend ask me if comparable (same sized Grade 25) chromium/carbon or stainless steel bearing balls were lighter. (yes, he really wants to make this a factor in determining what to rebuild his hubs with) :rolleyes:
Aside from once again shaking my head and telling him to go play with his Ti stem bolts and carbon bar end plugs, I couldn't offer him any answer. Anyone know?

Slider77 said:
For the overly obsessive weight-weenies out there:
I had a friend ask me if comparable (same sized Grade 25) chromium/carbon or stainless steel bearing balls were lighter. (yes, he really wants to make this a factor in determining what to rebuild his hubs with) :rolleyes:
Aside from once again shaking my head and telling him to go play with his Ti stem bolts and carbon bar end plugs, I couldn't offer him any answer. Anyone know?
There is no weight saving between steel ball alloys.. Maybe ceramic? Does he have a Ti chain and all Ti or aluminum casseet?

I don't know exactly what alloys are used in bearings, but most carbon steels are around 7.9 g/cc, and stainless steels are around 8 g/cc. You can save more weight by keeping the chain clean.

boudreaux said:
There is no weight saving between steel ball alloys.. Maybe ceramic? Does he have a Ti chain and all Ti or aluminum casseet?

boudreaux, surprised you didn't suggest he leave half the bearings out of the hub, and use WD-40 instead of grease. Reduce both weight and drag. :)

dhk said:
boudreaux, surprised you didn't suggest he leave half the bearings out of the hub, and use WD-40 instead of grease. Reduce both weight and drag. :)

He could cut many, many grams off his bike if he stripped off all the decals and the paint

Fat Hack said:
Oh yeah!! He'll freak out if he finds out that bar tape can be as much as 45g!
Are you kidding? The guy in question will get excited at the prospect of 7.9 vs. 8g per ball....."Let's see 18 in back, 20 in front, cripes that's almost 4 grams, let alone the bottom bracket and headset...could be just the difference in a deadheat sprint" :p

boudreaux said:
Of course not, just the couple of standard Ti cogs that are on the stock 7700 casettes. See that kind of rational thinking is just trying to apply logic to his insanity (which I gave up trying to do long ago).

He is a good kid on the whole despite all his nutiness.

The best way to save weight is to drill out your Al stem and handlebars. Save some weight there... That carbon monostay in the back, that can be drilled out too, who needs all that carbon? Really.

Rompinrhino said:
The best way to save weight is to drill out your Al stem and handlebars. Save some weight there... That carbon monostay in the back, that can be drilled out too, who needs all that carbon? Really.
Don't forget to drill out the sidewalls on the tires. There's a whole bunch of rubber there that's not even touching the road...

The guy in question will get excited at the prospect of 7.9 vs. 8g per ball....."Let's see 18 in back, 20 in front, cripes that's almost 4 grams,
Those weights are per cubic centimeter, not per bearing. The total savings is way less than 4 grams.

Slider77 said:
Are you kidding? The guy in question will get excited at the prospect of 7.9 vs. 8g per ball....."Let's see 18 in back, 20 in front, cripes that's almost 4 grams, let alone the bottom bracket and headset...could be just the difference in a deadheat sprint" :p
That was g/cc, not g/ball. But for the truely dedicatd, every bit helps.