Weightlifting Before Riding

Yorlik

Oct 24, 2006
I ride with a guy who often strength trains (squats, deadlifts, etc.) on Tuesday mornings and then rides the Tuesday Night World Championships that evening. He feels he rides better on the Tuesday evenings when he lifts the morning of the ride.

Any ideas why weightlifting ~10 hours before a club race would improve his performance?

Thanks,

Pat

It may not actually improve his performance. Sometimes athletes do well in spite of their training, not because of it.

Weightlifting tears down muscles in a way and the muscle rebuilds stronger but they need time to do this. I can't see the logic in this routine.

It would make more sense to lift after riding, when you can put your feet up and rest.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It would make more sense to lift after riding, when you can put your feet up and rest.
Not if you're doing stuff like squats and deadlifts. Doing heavy lifts after tiring yourself out is a great way to get seriously injured.

I'd tend to agree with everyone else, that it's placebo effect. However, heavy, compound lifts do increase testosterone levels. Maybe he's feeling a boost from that? Not likely, but possible.

I personally know a professional weightlifter and bodybuilder, and I can assure you that he wouldn't follow this workout regiment. This guy works on his upper body on Monday, and then works on his lower body on Tuesday. Then he'll take a one day break and then repeat the process.

Hey guys, with ten hours and a few meals between training sessions performance may not be hampered. Doms likely hasn't set in and the hips knees and lower back may feel primed for performance.
Also the type of training has a huge effect on how one feels later on.

The joints of elbow get 'activated' after a weightlifting session and that may be the reason for his workout. When the knees become active, we can ride the cycle much smoother than ever and the handling would be perfect as the joints of elbow are not free. :cool:

I used to seriously pump iron before I got unto cycling. I'll tell you that guy ain't "strength training" before a ride.

If you strength train or try to build it zaps your energy. He may be using the weights to "warm up" before a ride. I f he says he is strength training before a ride then he may not know what he's talking about.