Weinmann 730 brakes and that pesky plastic bit at the front.

Peter Goddard

Guest
Hello,
My bike has Weinmann 730 brakes fitted to it. Yesterday, one of
the leavers sheered off. So I go down the shop and get a replacement. As it
turned out, the section which goes thought the forks it too short. No
matter, I think, as I can use the old one, but I cannot get it out. As a
matter of curiosity, does anyone know what the plastic bit at the front is
for? It appears to twist round and not do anything. It surrounds a 4mm
hexagonal nut or what appears to be a nut. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Peter.

Peter Goddard wrote:

> does anyone know what
> the plastic bit at the front is for? It appears to twist round and
> not do anything. It surrounds a 4mm hexagonal nut or what appears to
> be a nut.

I think it's just a dust cover. You can just slide it off (use pliers to
grip if it's tight). Underneath is an adjustment nut and its locknut. Can't
you unbolt it from th back of the fork? ISTR that's where they attach.

"Peter Goddard" <[email protected]_IDontLikeSpam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
> My bike has Weinmann 730 brakes fitted to it. Yesterday, one of
> the leavers sheered off. So I go down the shop and get a replacement. As

it
> turned out, the section which goes thought the forks it too short. No
> matter, I think, as I can use the old one, but I cannot get it out. As a
> matter of curiosity, does anyone know what the plastic bit at the front is
> for? It appears to twist round and not do anything. It surrounds a 4mm
> hexagonal nut or what appears to be a nut. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter.

Doesn't it alter the cable tension to make the bite of the brakes tighter or
slacker?

---

"Peter Goddard" <[email protected]_IDontLikeSpam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
> My bike has Weinmann 730 brakes fitted to it. Yesterday, one of
> the leavers sheered off. So I go down the shop and get a replacement. As

it
> turned out, the section which goes thought the forks it too short. No
> matter, I think, as I can use the old one, but I cannot get it out. As a
> matter of curiosity, does anyone know what the plastic bit at the front is
> for? It appears to twist round and not do anything. It surrounds a 4mm
> hexagonal nut or what appears to be a nut. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

The plastic bit is just a cover. Pull it off (pliers if necc), and there are
two 10mm nuts underneath. The 4mm bit is part of the pivot, onto which the
10mm nuts fit, and is designed to allow you to centre the brake (assuming
you have the - quite unique! - tool). Removing the nuts will allow you to
remove the pivot bolt from the brake assembly.

HTH

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Peter.

Peter Goddard wrote:

> Hello,
> My bike has Weinmann 730 brakes fitted to it. Yesterday, one of
> the leavers sheered off. So I go down the shop and get a replacement. As it
> turned out, the section which goes thought the forks it too short. No
> matter, I think, as I can use the old one, but I cannot get it out. As a
> matter of curiosity, does anyone know what the plastic bit at the front is
> for? It appears to twist round and not do anything. It surrounds a 4mm
> hexagonal nut or what appears to be a nut. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter.

It's just a dust cover. There is a kind of Allen key in between which
is for centreing the brake using the special Weinmann tool. A
well-stocked local bike shop should still sell these. Incidentally, the
more expensive brakes had alloy spindles where this allen key will round
off almost immediately if you use the tool; I replaced them with steel
ones from another brakeset. The sheer crappiness of them makes you
thankful for modern Shimano brakes, despite the extra weight of
dual-pivot calipers.

Disassembling the brake is straightforward using small ring spanners.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm now a bit of a Weinman expert/bore
(delete as appropriate). I now realise that the section which goes through
the forks was short because it goes through the rear forks which are not as
thick as the front. I'm now sorted and have two brakes!

Cheers

Peter.