Weinmann cross wires

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Schneider, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann brakes.
    The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk. But they're
    out of production.

    Where do I get these ? Alternatively where can I get just the little disks to put onto the wires
    myself (using heat perhaps) ? Failing that I'll have to be a bit creative.

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Jon Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann
    > brakes. The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk.
    > But they're out of production.
    >
    > Where do I get these ? Alternatively where can I get just the little disks to put onto the wires
    > myself (using heat perhaps) ? Failing that I'll have to be a bit creative.
    >
    > Jon

    These "straddle wires" are like rocking horse droppings - if you have an LBS with an old boy wearing
    a brown coat serving behind the counter then you MAY be lucky ! (Think Ronnie Barker Open all Hours
    in a bike shop!)

    They are sometimes seen at cycle jumbles - I managed to buy some a while ago for my old Galaxy with
    centre-pulls.

    One solution is to use the brake cables with the "cylinder" on one end (the ones that connect to the
    lever!) - cut them to a little longer than the straddle wire - use the cylinder on one side of the
    brake calliper and use a cable nut/bolt on the other calliper side of the brake (that's the bolt
    that has a hole through it that clamps the cable when the nut is tightened) - thus making a straddle
    to connect the cable pull on to.

    I would question trying to make your own "cylinder" on the wire - brakes are a fairly important
    feature on a bike and the pulling strain could rip the cable out of the home made bit!

    ..... hesitate to say it but the alternative is to change to side-pull brakes which are still
    readily available - some of the better quality ones have a two plate mechanism that makes them pull
    as evenly as centre-pulls.

    RG

  3. Will Plummer

    Will Plummer Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jon Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann
    > > brakes. The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk.
    > > But they're out of production.
    > >
    > > Where do I get these ? Alternatively where can I get just the little disks to put onto the wires
    > > myself (using heat perhaps) ? Failing that I'll have to be a bit creative.
    > >
    > > Jon
    > >

    > These "straddle wires" are like rocking horse droppings - if you have an
    LBS
    > with an old boy wearing a brown coat serving behind the counter then you
    MAY
    > be lucky ! (Think Ronnie Barker Open all Hours in a bike shop!)
    >
    > They are sometimes seen at cycle jumbles - I managed to buy some a while
    ago
    > for my old Galaxy with centre-pulls.
    >
    > One solution is to use the brake cables with the "cylinder" on one end
    (the
    > ones that connect to the lever!) - cut them to a little longer than the straddle wire - use the
    > cylinder on one side of the brake calliper and
    use
    > a cable nut/bolt on the other calliper side of the brake (that's the bolt that has a hole through
    > it that clamps the cable when the nut is tightened) - thus making a straddle to connect the cable
    > pull on to.
    >
    > I would question trying to make your own "cylinder" on the wire - brakes
    are
    > a fairly important feature on a bike and the pulling strain could rip the cable out of the home
    > made bit!
    >
    > ..... hesitate to say it but the alternative is to change to side-pull brakes which are still
    > readily available - some of the better quality ones have a two plate mechanism that makes them
    > pull as evenly as centre-pulls.
    >
    > RG
    >
    > I was in a similar situation last year - managed to track some down in a
    LBS and bought up their total stock of 3. Funnily enough the parts I got were made by Shimano -
    there is a little plate off centre with shimano on the wire and an "S" stamped into each disc.

    Perhaps if you asked the shop to look through their shimano bits bin as well, you may have
    some luck.

    Will Plummer

  4. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Will Plummer <[email protected]> writes

    >"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Jon Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> > I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann
    >> > brakes. The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk.
    >> > But they're out of production.
    >> >

    >> These "straddle wires" are like rocking horse droppings - if you have an
    >LBS
    >> with an old boy wearing a brown coat serving behind the counter then you
    >MAY
    >> be lucky !
    >>
    >> I was in a similar situation last year - managed to track some down in a
    >LBS and bought up their total stock of 3. Funnily enough the parts I got were made by Shimano -
    >there is a little plate off centre with shimano on the wire and an "S" stamped into each disc.

    I got a couple in Spa cycles earlier in the year, whether or not they had any more I don't know but
    the shop has all sorts of odd things still in stock., but they are very helpful and would send them
    mail order I am sure.

    They even have a website now, though it's not fully up an running, but it'll have the phone number
    on it (and the CTC ad was in colour....)

    <http://www.spacycles.com/>
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  5. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Jon Schneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann
    > brakes. The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk.
    > But they're out of production.
    >
    > Where do I get these ?

    My mate runs a bike shop that still has stuff like this.I've e-mailed him, and he says he'll
    have a look tomorrow, he says if he's got it, it'll be in a box that hasnt been touched for a
    number of years!

    I'll post back here if he's got some. Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  6. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    <[email protected]?.invalid> writes
    >I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann brakes.
    >
    >Where do I get these ?

    Another thought.

    Is Francis Thurmer still doing his 'Hard to Find ' catalogue?

    Unit 20, Kemps Farm, Chapel Road, Ford, Aylesbury HP17 8XG,

    Is the last address I have
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  7. > I need to replace at least one of the partially corroded wires that are part of my Weinmann
    > brakes. The wires are about 10cm long with each end going into the side of a 6mm diameter disk.
    > But they're out of production.

    We've got some - see http://www.andysbikes.com

    Cheers Andy ([email protected])

  8. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Jon Schneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Where do I get these ? Alternatively where can I get just the little disks to put onto the wires
    > myself (using heat perhaps) ? Failing that I'll have to be a bit creative.

    My mate has got some of these straddle wires at his shop, going for a 'pittance' he says.They look a
    bit longer than he remembered,but it has been a while since he last saw them. Give him a
    call/e-mail: Wakies Cycle Centre,16 Market Place ,Codnor, Derbyshire,DE5 9QA Tel : 01773 746392 Fax
    : 01773 746392 E-mail : [email protected]

    HTH Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  9. Thank you everybody for your suggestions and help !

    Jon