Weird b/b noise while training...

mydeafcat

Nov 29, 2004
Greetings, all. This subject has been tackled before, but of course each situation differs, no? Very recently, I began to notice a squeaking/grinding noise while attached to my Cyclops TT2. It starts about 5 minutes into my ride and is annoying as hell! It apparently is eminating from my b/b (2004 Chorus, which is less than 6 months old). Just in case it was my pedals, I lubricated the surface of my Pro-Fits...nope not them, although they can squeak like the devil when 'dry'. Anyway, I got off the trainer, grabbed the crank arms and torqued them a bit and it actually sounded like the frame was squeaking - I ride a 2002 Colnago Master-Lite. Indeed, the sound reminded me of a squeaky seatpost, but that's not the problem. I got back on and there's the b/b noise again. I asked my g/f to have a listen and she, too, figures it originated from around the b/b. Now, when I pop my bike onto my rollers and spin away, no noise - even hammering in higher gears. Mind you, there is less stress on the frame on rollers. So, short story long... is the trainer stressing my frame (in addition to the rider!!)? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any insight.

mydeafcat said:
Greetings, all. This subject has been tackled before, but of course each situation differs, no? Very recently, I began to notice a squeaking/grinding noise while attached to my Cyclops TT2. It starts about 5 minutes into my ride and is annoying as hell! It apparently is eminating from my b/b (2004 Chorus, which is less than 6 months old). Just in case it was my pedals, I lubricated the surface of my Pro-Fits...nope not them, although they can squeak like the devil when 'dry'. Anyway, I got off the trainer, grabbed the crank arms and torqued them a bit and it actually sounded like the frame was squeaking - I ride a 2002 Colnago Master-Lite. Indeed, the sound reminded me of a squeaky seatpost, but that's not the problem. I got back on and there's the b/b noise again. I asked my g/f to have a listen and she, too, figures it originated from around the b/b. Now, when I pop my bike onto my rollers and spin away, no noise - even hammering in higher gears. Mind you, there is less stress on the frame on rollers. So, short story long... is the trainer stressing my frame (in addition to the rider!!)? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any insight.
I'm having exactly the same sort of problem from my Specialized Sirrus strapped into a Minoura 500. I tried to re-awaken a previous thread regarding the trainer, http://www.cyclingforums.com/t196109-minoura-1200-vs-500.html, but without any succesful replies.

I went to town tourqing the cranks, chainrings and pedals again last night, but to no avail. As you said it sounds like the seat post but seems to come from the b/b.

I haven't got rollers, but when I put the bike on the road, no problem - I'm assuming therefore that it is nothing to worry about?

NSM3 said:
I'm having exactly the same sort of problem from my Specialized Sirrus strapped into a Minoura 500. I tried to re-awaken a previous thread regarding the trainer, http://www.cyclingforums.com/t196109-minoura-1200-vs-500.html, but without any succesful replies.

I went to town tourqing the cranks, chainrings and pedals again last night, but to no avail. As you said it sounds like the seat post but seems to come from the b/b.

I haven't got rollers, but when I put the bike on the road, no problem - I'm assuming therefore that it is nothing to worry about?
If the bike doesn't make any noise on the road, nothing is wrong with the bike.

I'd suspect the noise is coming either from the trainer resistance unit, the mounting of the rear axle in the trainer, or the rear tire against the trainer drum.

I have had the same problem the squeaking only happens when pressure is applied while out riding. I tried everything to fix it, after two months I bought new pedals, problem solved.

NSM3 said:

At last, the answer. My bottom bracket gave up the ghost last night and started clunking badly at every revolution. After the session the play in it was quite dramatic. It is now at the LBS having a new b/b and chain fitted, rear wheel bearings, wheel trueing (sp?) plus a general service.

The guy in the shop seemed genuinely surprised that the b/b was shot at only 1500 miles? At least it isn't the frame!!