Weird Bicycle Sighting of the Week -- Group Award!

Hiya!
The weird bicycle sighting for this week -- well, actually there
were a lot of them, including a flat-handlebar bike of unknown make
that had downtube shifters. However, the most unusual were the
collective handcycles! A handcycle riding group was staging in a
parking lot in the park. More than a dozen handcyclists, and a few
spousal units on uprights (and one recumbent) were all gearing up in
jerseys, shorts and helmets. Handcyclists were checking out their
gearing, steering, tires (some of them quite skinny) and brakes. An
upright rider was inspecting and adjusting the US flags taped to the
rack trunk on her Cannondale 9000 -- very visible. I would guess she
had the tail end of the ride position. Riding club? Challenged
triatheletes? Don't know, didn't ask (I was already running a bit
late).

Some of the gearing on the handcycles was mounted forward -- looked
like, at speed, they could saw through an SUV bumper, no problem.

Robert Leone [email protected]

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hiya!
> ... the most unusual were the
> collective handcycles! A handcycle riding group was staging

in a
> parking lot in the park. More than a dozen handcyclists, and

a few
> spousal units on uprights (and one recumbent) were all

gearing up in
> jerseys, shorts and helmets. Handcyclists were checking out

their
> gearing, steering, tires (some of them quite skinny) and

brakes.

Where was this? I saw a group of handcyclists while out riding
yesterday, southwest of Chicago. They all had blue shirts on,
but I couldn't read the lettering. They were going the other
way, so I just got a glimpse.

--
Mike Kruger
You can't get even, you can just lower the standard for all in

Hi Mike:
My group handcycle sighting was in San Diego. Mission Bay Park, to
be precise.

Robert Leone

SNIP
> Where was this? I saw a group of handcyclists while out riding
> yesterday, southwest of Chicago. They all had blue shirts on,
> but I couldn't read the lettering. They were going the other
> way, so I just got a glimpse.
>

> --
> Mike Kruger
> You can't get even, you can just lower the standard for all in
> that pursuit. Retribution is a mental state in a downward
> spiral.
> This calls for diplomacy and education on both sides. (Jobst
> Brandt)

[email protected] wrote in news:1124571687.695547.107180
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hiya!
> The weird bicycle sighting for this week -- well, actually there
> were a lot of them, including a flat-handlebar bike of unknown make
> that had downtube shifters. However, the most unusual were the
> collective handcycles! A handcycle riding group was staging in a
> parking lot in the park. More than a dozen handcyclists, and a few
> spousal units on uprights (and one recumbent) were all gearing up in
> jerseys, shorts and helmets. Handcyclists were checking out their
> gearing, steering, tires (some of them quite skinny) and brakes. An
> upright rider was inspecting and adjusting the US flags taped to the
> rack trunk on her Cannondale 9000 -- very visible. I would guess she
> had the tail end of the ride position. Riding club? Challenged
> triatheletes? Don't know, didn't ask (I was already running a bit
> late).
>
> Some of the gearing on the handcycles was mounted forward -- looked
> like, at speed, they could saw through an SUV bumper, no problem.
>
> Robert Leone [email protected]

I wonder if my tallbike would make it on your "weird" sighting list if I
rode past you on it!....

http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/brad-graham/skywalker.htm

Cheers!
Brad