weird bike question...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Benjamin Snyder, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today the
    combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there any remedy short of calling a
    locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since people are always talking about how easy it is for
    thieves to cut through it I was wondering how easy it would be for a non-thief.

    All help is appreciated, [email protected]

    (remove the physicist to send email).

    Tags:

  2. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Benjamin Snyder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep
    it safe.
    > Well, today the combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work.
    Is there
    > any remedy short of calling a locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and
    since people are
    > always talking about how easy it is for thieves to cut through it I was
    wondering how
    > easy it would be for a non-thief.

    Bolt cutters.

    Dashii

  3. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:56:16 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Benjamin Snyder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...

    >> I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep
    >it safe.
    >> Well, today the combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work.
    >Is there
    >> any remedy short of calling a locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and
    >since people are
    >> always talking about how easy it is for thieves to cut through it I was
    >wondering how
    >> easy it would be for a non-thief.
    >
    >Bolt cutters.

    Bolt cutters in 3 seconds, or a leatherman or other wire cutter in a couple of minutes, by method of
    cutting the individual steel strands individually.

    Jasper

    >I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it
    safe.
    >Well, today the combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is
    there
    >any remedy short of calling a locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since
    people are
    >always talking about how easy it is for thieves to cut through it I was
    wondering how
    >easy it would be for a non-thief.

    Bolt cutters.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today the
    > combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there any remedy short of calling a
    > locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since people are always talking about how easy it is for
    > thieves to cut through it I was wondering how easy it would be for a non-thief.

    Most combination locks can be opened with a smart blow of a hammer. Position the lock such that you
    can strike the shoulder if it beside the shackle. It might take you a couple of strikes to pop it
    open but with a little practice you should get good at opening them with a single strike.

    The bike shops I worked at used this technique to open locks when the owner lost and forgot the
    combination. We tried to do it while they were watching so they would see just how worthless
    combination padlocks were for protecting their bikes.

    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote in message
    news:<bd8jkj$3u7u$[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today the
    > combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there any remedy short of calling a
    > locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since people are always talking about how easy it is for
    > thieves to cut through it I was wondering how easy it would be for a non-thief.

    Bolt cutters and three seconds should take care of it. If you're on campus (according to your email
    address...) and can prove ownership, I'll bet the campus cops have a set that they use to remove
    leftover junkers every summer. There's always a couple stuck to racks once spring semester lets out.

    Jeff

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today the
    >combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there

    If it's a Master brand old lock, the combo can be figured out fairly easily by hand.

    Doug

  8. You can rent bolt cutters for about 15.00 a day. They are expensive to buy.

    Good luck.

    Steve Shapiro [email protected]

    [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today the
    > combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there any remedy short of calling a
    > locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since people are always talking about how easy it is for
    > thieves to cut through it I was wondering how easy it would be for a non-thief.
    >
    > All help is appreciated, [email protected]
    >

    > (remove the physicist to send email).

  9. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I hacksaw blade will cut right through it.

  10. On 24 Jun 2003 12:52:57 -0700, [email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote:

    >You can rent bolt cutters for about 15.00 a day. They are expensive to buy.

    I bought one for $5 a while back. Obviously not hardly as good as a $50 one, but quite decent enough
    for chains up to 6 mm or thereabouts without trouble.

    Jasper

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bruce Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > I just started riding an old bike, using an old cable combo lock to keep it safe. Well, today
    > > the combination stopped working and my bike is stuck at work. Is there any remedy short of
    > > calling a locksmith? It's really a crappy cable and since people are always talking about how
    > > easy it is for thieves to cut through it I was wondering how easy it would be for a non-thief.
    >
    > Most combination locks can be opened with a smart blow of a hammer. Position the lock such that
    > you can strike the shoulder if it beside the shackle. It might take you a couple of strikes to pop
    > it open but with a little practice you should get good at opening them with a single strike.
    >
    > The bike shops I worked at used this technique to open locks when the owner lost and forgot the
    > combination. We tried to do it while they were watching so they would see just how worthless
    > combination padlocks were for protecting their bikes.

    If it is a cheap cheap combi lock, another way that sometimes works, is to pull hard on either side
    of the lock, then slowly turn each code ring until you find one that hits an extra positive 'click'.
    Leave it there, and move onto a different one - repeat until the lock pops open.

    All you are doing here, is using the loose manufacturing tolerances to 'tell you' where the gaps in
    the lock's code rings are - it's worked for me at least a half dozen times. Only down-side, is the
    lock is re-useable afterwards, heheheheh......

    Shaun aRe

  12. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    If cutting and hammering are out of the question... Soak the lock in penetrating oil... That will
    loosen the lock some, and maybe enough to open it with out damaging the lock... Although I would
    highly recommend a newer, better locking system..

    BTW... Penetrating oil can take a couple of hours to a full day to unlock a stuck whatever....

    NS