Weird Bike Sighting of the Week

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Aug 15, 2005.

  1. I don't think I'd believe this one if I hadn't seen it myself, but so
    help me it's true. I stopped by the post office today, and noticed a bike
    outside the front door. Nothing special about the bike itself, just a
    smallish Mongoose full suspension MTB. Looked like a 19" frame at most,
    with 24" tires. The owner must have had a growth spurt or something,
    because as I got nearer I noticed that the seat post was easily a foot
    long. Closer still, and I could see that it was made of wood! What kind
    of wood, I wondered as I went inside and did took care of my errand.
    Shovel handle? Nope, they're too big. Rake? Nope, still too big. A
    cut-down mop handle, maybe? And then I stepped back outside the PO, where
    I could take another look. Something seemed familiar about that piece of
    wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it protruded from the
    frame. And up where it attached to the seat, what was that? Threads?

    EGAD!

    This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle from...

    (thought of it yet?)

    ...a toilet plunger!

    I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
    will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?

    Bill

    | An animal will leave a carcus after he gets his belly full, |
    | but you never see a banker do that sort of thing. |
    | --Butch Cassidy |

  2. di

    di Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I don't think I'd believe this one if I hadn't seen it myself, but so
    > help me it's true. I stopped by the post office today, and noticed a bike
    > outside the front door. Nothing special about the bike itself, just a
    > smallish Mongoose full suspension MTB. Looked like a 19" frame at most,
    > with 24" tires. The owner must have had a growth spurt or something,
    > because as I got nearer I noticed that the seat post was easily a foot
    > long. Closer still, and I could see that it was made of wood! What kind
    > of wood, I wondered as I went inside and did took care of my errand.
    > Shovel handle? Nope, they're too big. Rake? Nope, still too big. A
    > cut-down mop handle, maybe? And then I stepped back outside the PO, where
    > I could take another look. Something seemed familiar about that piece of
    > wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it protruded from the
    > frame. And up where it attached to the seat, what was that? Threads?
    >
    > EGAD!
    >
    > This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle from...
    > (thought of it yet?)
    >
    > ...a toilet plunger!
    >
    > I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    > audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
    > will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    > So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?
    >

    > Bill

    When it breaks, some lawyer will help him sue Mongoose because their manual
    didn't warn him about the dangers of replacing the seat post with a toilet
    plunger handle.

  3. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Something seemed familiar about
    that piece of wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it
    protruded from the frame. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
    part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
    out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

  4. Warren Block

    Warren Block Guest

    Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Something seemed familiar about
    > that piece of wood, thw way it was rounded on the bottom end where it
    > protruded from the frame. (clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
    > part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
    > out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

    He said it was a full suspension frame, so it probably has the seat tube
    ending far above the bottom bracket. A picture would be interesting.

    Double points if it has a plunger where the seat should be.

  5. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Warren Block wrote:

    > Double points if it has a plunger where the seat should be.

    That would be LarryBoy's bike.

    RFM
    http://www.cyclelicio.us/

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:42:29 +0000, D_Frumious_B wrote:

    > ...a toilet plunger!
    >

    > I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    > audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
    > will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    > So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?

    How's the damping compared to carbon?

    :D

  7. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > EGAD!
    >
    > This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle from...
    > ...a toilet plunger!
    >

    > I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    > audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person who
    > will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    > So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week Award?

    Well, those handles are pretty hard wood, probably last as long as a
    carbon fibre or aluminum post the same length. However if you were
    going to use it that way, should probably cut off the end sticking out,
    and maybe the threads, and give it a nice coat of silver or aluminum
    paint, so it at least looks like it belongs. Maybe he was heading to
    the bike shop to get a new seat post, that handle would do the trick for
    a few days at least. Perhaps he had run out of money before he had run
    out of week (quite common some places), and was waiting for new money to
    buy the seat post.

  8. Little Meow

    Little Meow Guest

    The Wogster wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >> EGAD!
    >>
    >> This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle
    >> from... ...a toilet plunger!
    >>

    >> I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    >> audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person
    >> who will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    >> So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week
    >> Award?
    >>

    > Well, those handles are pretty hard wood, probably last as long as a
    > carbon fibre or aluminum post the same length. However if you were
    > going to use it that way, should probably cut off the end sticking
    > out, and maybe the threads, and give it a nice coat of silver or
    > aluminum paint, so it at least looks like it belongs. Maybe he was
    > heading to the bike shop to get a new seat post, that handle would do
    > the trick for a few days at least. Perhaps he had run out of money
    > before he had run out of week (quite common some places), and was
    > waiting for new money to buy the seat post.

    For the sake of safety, and to keep with the plumbing theme, it
    would be a good idea to reinforce the plunger with a few hose
    clamps.

  9. Little Meow

    Little Meow Guest

    maxo wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:42:29 +0000, D_Frumious_B wrote:
    >

    >> ...a toilet plunger!
    >>

    >> I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    >> audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person
    >> who will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    >> So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week
    >> Award?

    > How's the damping compared to carbon?
    >
    >:D

    Wood damping is as good as, or better than, carbon damping, at
    least with camera tripods.

  10. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:48:37 +0000, Little Meow wrote:

    > The Wogster wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>>
    >>> EGAD!
    >>>
    >>> This guy had replaced his original seat post with the handle from...
    >>> ...a toilet plunger!
    >>>

    >>> I rode away impressed with the guys ingenuity, or maybe just his
    >>> audacity. At any rate, I rode away grateful that I am not the person
    >>> who will be astride that bike when the seatpost breaks.
    >>> So, can anybody top that, or do I win the Sighting of the Week
    >>> Award?
    >>>

    >> Well, those handles are pretty hard wood, probably last as long as a
    >> carbon fibre or aluminum post the same length. However if you were
    >> going to use it that way, should probably cut off the end sticking out,
    >> and maybe the threads, and give it a nice coat of silver or aluminum
    >> paint, so it at least looks like it belongs. Maybe he was heading to
    >> the bike shop to get a new seat post, that handle would do the trick for
    >> a few days at least. Perhaps he had run out of money before he had run
    >> out of week (quite common some places), and was waiting for new money to
    >> buy the seat post.

    > For the sake of safety, and to keep with the plumbing theme, it would be a
    > good idea to reinforce the plunger with a few hose clamps.

    Don't forget the thumbshifters:

    http://tinyurl.com/8khx5

  11. Little Meow

    Little Meow Guest

    maxo wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:48:37 +0000, Little Meow wrote:
    >
    >> The Wogster wrote:

    >>> Well, those handles are pretty hard wood, probably last as long as a
    >>> carbon fibre or aluminum post the same length. However if you were
    >>> going to use it that way, should probably cut off the end sticking
    >>> out, and maybe the threads, and give it a nice coat of silver or
    >>> aluminum paint, so it at least looks like it belongs. Maybe he was
    >>> heading to the bike shop to get a new seat post, that handle would
    >>> do the trick for a few days at least. Perhaps he had run out of
    >>> money before he had run out of week (quite common some places), and
    >>> was waiting for new money to buy the seat post.

    >> For the sake of safety, and to keep with the plumbing theme, it would
    >> be a good idea to reinforce the plunger with a few hose clamps.

    > Don't forget the thumbshifters:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8khx5

    Outstanding! Stylish AND robust.

    For those reluctant to leave behind the comforts of home:

    erica.unikmedia.net/pix/uprising/P0001857.jpg

  12. catzz66

    catzz66 Guest

    Little Meow wrote:

    > Outstanding! Stylish AND robust.
    >
    > For those reluctant to leave behind the comforts of home:
    >
    > erica.unikmedia.net/pix/uprising/P0001857.jpg

    The possibility for jokes is pretty much endless.

    "Joe, are you overheated? You're looking a little flushed."

  13. Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Too bad you didn't get a picture, "cuz I'm having difficulty visualizing the
    > part about the rounded part protruding from the frame. You mean sticking
    > out below the bottom bracket? How is that possible?

    It was a full-suspension frame, with a seat tube only about six inches
    long, and open at the bottom.

    Bill

    -----------------------------------
    | We must be the change we seek. |
    | --Mohandas K. Ghandi |
    -----------------------------------

  14. Now THAT'S a MacGyverism if I ever heard of one! LOL

    - -

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner