Weird cycling side effect.

nowtheworld

Jul 19, 2004
I've just started getting into road racing, so I dunno if this is anything unusual.
I find that during and after a particularly hard session the skin on my lips kinda melts and comes off, as a really sticky mess. Slightly bizarre I thought, but i can't think why, or any way to stop it, so if I'm not careful, I'll end up with no lips as i seem to lose four layers of skin off them every time i really go for it.

Any suggestions? :confused:

chap stick? Never heard of that happening. Maybe a doctor would know...I seriously have no clue.

If your seriously losing that much skin definately go to a doctor. That just doesnt sound right.

Are you hydrated enough??? Sounds like a serious concern. Go see a doctor .....

nowtheworld said:
I've just started getting into road racing, so I dunno if this is anything unusual.
I find that during and after a particularly hard session the skin on my lips kinda melts and comes off, as a really sticky mess. Slightly bizarre I thought, but i can't think why, or any way to stop it, so if I'm not careful, I'll end up with no lips as i seem to lose four layers of skin off them every time i really go for it.

If its skin, it will come off in sheets, leaving the lips chapped, sore or otherwise tender.

The slime you get off your lips is a bit of skin cells mixed with salivia, sweat and road dust. Gross but not a problem.

BTW, the skin regenerates rapidly.

nowtheworld said:

Dont panic!! IT'S GU mouth! only meens your not hydrated, and a combo of what you drink on the bike. i had the same problem till i got the right drink that i can drink, when the drink gets warm (ACCELERADE TO NASTY) i also drink a few bottles of sports drink few hours before i ride then 1 20oz bottle an hour on the bike. Then a few more bottles after the ride. the sports drink i swear by is POWER BAR LIME its good cold or warm mixes very well and is not sticky and sweet. IMO sports drinks with protien don't work well on the bike.

zaskar said:
Dont panic!! IT'S GU mouth! only meens your not hydrated, and a combo of what you drink on the bike. i had the same problem till i got the right drink that i can drink, when the drink gets warm (ACCELERADE TO NASTY) i also drink a few bottles of sports drink few hours before i ride then 1 20oz bottle an hour on the bike. Then a few more bottles after the ride. the sports drink i swear by is POWER BAR LIME its good cold or warm mixes very well and is not sticky and sweet. IMO sports drinks with protien don't work well on the bike.
Thing is, I do drink a lot of water. I don't drink anything else. I quit drinking a while ago and I just drink only water now. I usually drink about 12 pints of water every day, and when cycling i drink two 500ml (i think thats probably 20 ounce, but not a ****ing clue really) bottles every 2 and a half hours or so, though it all depends on the energy put into the ride and the amount of hills and their gradient.

Cheers for the input, sounds like it's nothing to worry about particularly.

nowtheworld said:
Thing is, I do drink a lot of water. I don't drink anything else. I quit drinking a while ago and I just drink only water now. I usually drink about 12 pints of water every day, and when cycling i drink two 500ml (i think thats probably 20 ounce, but not a ****ing clue really) bottles every 2 and a half hours or so, though it all depends on the energy put into the ride and the amount of hills and their gradient.

Cheers for the input, sounds like it's nothing to worry about particularly.

It is realy important to drink a sports drink for proper hydration on the bike and perhaps before. the reason is when you sweat you lose sodium and potassium and other minerals your body needs, only water does not supply this and can make matters worse. also your body realy does not wanna process plain water when excersing it mostly stays in the gut, you need a 6-8% carb solution drink, just give it a try mate peace.