Weird Issue With Just Left Leg

tmarieg3

Oct 11, 2015
Maine
This year I have been experiencing, what I describe as a non-painful cramp. It usually happens just in my left quad. It feels like a cross between extreme fatigue and cramping. This happens on all 3 of my bikes (not a bike fit issue?) and while running and sometimes it occurs as soon as a mile into a run or ride. I am hydrating, eating properly and in addition to taking more rest days thinking it was over training, I started to take a recovery drink after workouts. Most recently it happened today during my 2nd cyclocross race. I had a great start and was feeling strong then out of nowhere only 3/4 of a mile in my left quad quit on me.

Also, I don't know if it is related, but this started after my first group road ride back in May. I was a little ambitious and was keeping up fine with the fast guys, so when the slow group broke off halfway through I stayed with them. Little did I know they always cranked it up during the 2nd half. This was the first time I ever experienced this cramping and fatigue but pushed through it so I wouldn't get dropped. Since then I have continued to experience this. It is never painful, just annoying and detrimental to my performance. Anyone else experience this and know how to combat it?

Thank you!

Wow, that sounds like a unique case. I've never experienced that before, but the good thing is that it doesn't pain. I would suggest that you check a doctor, if it is that you still want to stay in your recreational profession. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to give you some information.

If it's the inside quad, there's a chance it's kinking of the external iliac artery, which isn't totally uncommon for cyclists. Google it

There are several different things it might be. It could be due to over working you left leg. It may also be from low potassium . You could try eating a few bananas and see if that helps any. I do think that if the problem continues you should really see your doctor.

I would advise you to see a doctor or go to the emergency room ASAP about this cramp in your leg. Usually if you cramp up from a hard/long ride, you get cramps in both legs, not just one. You could have a blood clot, which is not something to play around with. I did, and it almost cost me my life.

My condition started as a soreness in my right hamstring that I couldn't explain and only assumed that it must be the way I was sitting on the saddle. Then within 2 weeks, my right calf swelled up, was hot and red and painful to touch. Only by accident did I have an appointment with my allergist. I asked him what could be wrong with my calf. Upon examining and squeezing my calf causing me immense pain, he told me to go to the emergency room immediately. I was hospitalized that very day because not only did I have a clot in the right calf, but other clots had gone up into my lungs. It pays to be safe than sorry so get to a doctor, immediately.

I see this fellow posted this some time ago and hasn't posted since. I hope he is alright. In any event, I thought it necessary to relate what happened to me. We all may think we are indestructible because we are in such great shape, but often our fitness and abilities to endure the pain of a ride may mask something even more sinister.

This year I have been experiencing, what I describe as a non-painful cramp. It usually happens just in my left quad. It feels like a cross between extreme fatigue and cramping. This happens on all 3 of my bikes (not a bike fit issue?) and while running and sometimes it occurs as soon as a mile into a run or ride. I am hydrating, eating properly and in addition to taking more rest days thinking it was over training, I started to take a recovery drink after workouts. Most recently it happened today during my 2nd cyclocross race. I had a great start and was feeling strong then out of nowhere only 3/4 of a mile in my left quad quit on me.

Also, I don't know if it is related, but this started after my first group road ride back in May. I was a little ambitious and was keeping up fine with the fast guys, so when the slow group broke off halfway through I stayed with them. Little did I know they always cranked it up during the 2nd half. This was the first time I ever experienced this cramping and fatigue but pushed through it so I wouldn't get dropped. Since then I have continued to experience this. It is never painful, just annoying and detrimental to my performance. Anyone else experience this and know how to combat it?

Thank you!
I had a very similar issue with my lower left leg, primarily my foot When I make an effort while cycling (within 3 minutes) the muscles in the arch of the foot undergo a sudden sustained contraction (cramp, spasm etc), the entire foot arches with the toes pointing inward. During this period I am unable to drop my heel (degree of ankling becomes very different between the cramped foot and the normal one ) and as a result I am unable to sustain pressure on the pedal while seated. Once the effort stops, the cramp immediately subsides and I am able to pedal normally. If I increase the effort again the foot will cramp again. The cramp is not painful and there is no muscular weakness in the leg or foot. The frequency of occurence is dependent on fitness level. The cramp occurs more frequently and comes on at a much lower intensity when I am less fit .This began approximately 18 months ago. I have had numerous tests and finally went to a neuralogist who diagnosed early onset parkinsons. I am not convinced this is correct because it is cycling specific. Anyways my suggestion is to try and obtain a number of opinions and run a number of tests. It has been a very stressful experience for me.

Hey,

Interesting description, I've seen similar symptoms in some cyclists. It might not be a bike fit issue, but more likely related to muscle fatigue and endurance. Have you tried a dynamic warm-up before your rides/runs? It can help prepare your muscles and reduce the chance of early fatigue. Also, consider checking your saddle height and cleat position, even slight misalignments can cause discomfort over time.

As for the recovery drink, make sure it's not too high in sugar, as that can lead to further dehydration. Lastly, it might be worth getting a muscle function test to check for any imbalances or weaknesses.

Cheers,
GearGuru99 :)