Weird muscle cramping

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by joshv, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. joshv

    joshv Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > I worry that something else is wrong; it could be dehydration as Rudy
    > mentioned, cause eating carbs does replete glycogen. I'd had muscles get
    > really get pumped hard when working out after eating carbs.
    > Based on your description of the pain, I'd suggest you see a doctor, but
    > don't mention eating LC, cause that will likely get you some nonsense
    > solution/reason.

    Lying to a Dr. is probably a very good way of getting a nonsense
    solution/reason. If they don't have enough information to help me
    given the fact that I eat low carb, I can't imagine how hiding that
    fact will result in a better answer.

    I've looked up muscle cramping on the internet, and the strange thing
    is that it seems this sort of thing is much more common in the elderly.
    Sometimes it can be related to blocked arteries in the legs. As my
    problems resolves within a matter of days of going back to eating
    so-called 'artery clogging' foods - I seriously doubt this is the
    problem. Although there have been some studies where diet has been
    short to decrease arterial blockage, blockages don't respond to diet in
    a matter of days.

    It is most likely some sort of metabolic issue. Some part of my muscle
    is not getting the right amount or kind of energy, and pitching an
    unholy fit. And somehow this temporary change in my diet is the cause.

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    joshv wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: I worry that something else is wrong; it could be dehydration as
    ::: Rudy mentioned, cause eating carbs does replete glycogen. I'd had
    ::: muscles get really get pumped hard when working out after eating
    ::: carbs.
    ::: Based on your description of the pain, I'd suggest you see a
    ::: doctor, but don't mention eating LC, cause that will likely get you
    ::: some nonsense solution/reason.
    ::
    :: Lying to a Dr. is probably a very good way of getting a nonsense
    :: solution/reason. If they don't have enough information to help me
    :: given the fact that I eat low carb, I can't imagine how hiding that
    :: fact will result in a better answer.

    Dude - not mentioning that you eat LC is not lying to a doctor, it's just
    not putting a focus on what YOU, a non-doctor, happens to think is the
    problem. People have a natural tendency to place the blame on what it is
    they THINK is causing the problem, when that may or may not have a thing to
    do with the problem. Tell the doc what is happenning (bad cramps) and let
    him/her figure out the problem. Keep in mind that eating LC is just eating
    food - meat, fish, veggies, etc. Unless you're doing something totally
    stupid like only eating meat, then LC is unlikely to be the problem. BTW,
    are you just eating meat? :)

    ::
    :: I've looked up muscle cramping on the internet, and the strange thing
    :: is that it seems this sort of thing is much more common in the
    :: elderly. Sometimes it can be related to blocked arteries in the
    :: legs. As my problems resolves within a matter of days of going back
    :: to eating so-called 'artery clogging' foods - I seriously doubt this
    :: is the problem. Although there have been some studies where diet
    :: has been short to decrease arterial blockage, blockages don't
    :: respond to diet in a matter of days.
    ::
    :: It is most likely some sort of metabolic issue. Some part of my
    :: muscle is not getting the right amount or kind of energy, and
    :: pitching an unholy fit. And somehow this temporary change in my
    :: diet is the cause.

    You don't know what the problem is. Go see a doc and let him/her figure it
    out without putting undue bias on what you think the problem is. Or course,
    you can do that and just have him/her tell you to quit LCing.

  3. joshv wrote:
    > Roger Zoul wrote:
    >
    > > I worry that something else is wrong; it could be dehydration as Rudy
    > > mentioned, cause eating carbs does replete glycogen. I'd had muscles get
    > > really get pumped hard when working out after eating carbs.
    > > Based on your description of the pain, I'd suggest you see a doctor, but
    > > don't mention eating LC, cause that will likely get you some nonsense
    > > solution/reason.

    > Lying to a Dr. is probably a very good way of getting a nonsense
    > solution/reason. If they don't have enough information to help me
    > given the fact that I eat low carb, I can't imagine how hiding that
    > fact will result in a better answer.

    I'll echo Rojer Zoul on this - Not giving your doctor an instant yet
    false excuse to blame something does not count as lying. Going
    LC cures it, therefore LC isn't the cause, therefore LC doesn't
    need to enter into the discussion unless the line of questioning
    leads that way. Let the Doc handle the question-and-answer
    process.

    > I've looked up muscle cramping on the internet, and the strange thing
    > is that it seems this sort of thing is much more common in the elderly.
    > Sometimes it can be related to blocked arteries in the legs.

    My wife suffers leg cramps that started with a bicycling injury
    back when she was in elementary school. The scar tissue in
    that leg does appear to interfere with blood flow. In her case the
    one medication that works consistantly ends up being a cure
    worse than the disease - Quinine opens the circulation but for
    some reason she can't sleep a wink when she takes it. Since
    the cramps happen mostly at night and interfer with sleep, a cure
    that completely eliminates all sleep isn't worth it.

    So maybe your issue is something like a severe case of shin
    splints. Shin splints are caused by poor circulation.

    > As my
    > problems resolves within a matter of days of going back to eating
    > so-called 'artery clogging' foods - I seriously doubt this is the
    > problem. Although there have been some studies where diet has been
    > short to decrease arterial blockage, blockages don't respond to diet in
    > a matter of days.

    Some much for the theory about clogging arteries.

    > It is most likely some sort of metabolic issue. Some part of my muscle
    > is not getting the right amount or kind of energy, and pitching an
    > unholy fit. And somehow this temporary change in my diet is the cause.

    Speculation: High carbing causes water retention, usually in the liver,
    because glycogen is stored dissolved in water. Maybe for you the
    carbs are stored mostly in the muscles and the extra water retention
    interferes with circulation enough to cause cramps. Are your legs
    puffy when you hih carb?