Weird question - wrench force pump parts?

volfro

Jul 30, 2006
Hi, Cyclingforums! Long time no see.

I'm just posting a quick question:

When I got my bike a few years ago, I bought a Wrench Force floor pump along with it. It has the Presta/Schraeder dual-hole valve thing.

Here's the problem: lately, the Presta hole refuses to hang on to the tire's stem, whether it's locked or not, under even tiny amounts of pressure. So I'd like to replace the head--it seems really wasteful (and expensive) to replace a whole pump that is otherwise functioning properly, and has for the last three years or so.

But I can't find replacement parts anywhere--even my LBS couldn't find parts for this pump.

Any suggestions as to where I can get parts?

Thanks!

volfro said:
But I can't find replacement parts anywhere--even my LBS couldn't find parts for this pump.

Any suggestions as to where I can get parts?
You can put a SILCA pump head on almost any pump hose -- about $10 ...

If your LBS can't order one for you, you can get one from COLORADO CYCLIST ... probably, EXCEL SPORTS, too, to name two mail order retailers (amongst many).

Mail Order can be a cyclist's "best friend" if you don't have an LBS that is conveniently located OR an LBS which doesn't have very smart Wrenches OR sales clerks.

Excellent, thanks. I could just cut the hose and use one of the Silca heads (I'd have to cut it since the head is a screw-on sort of deal), but there's a hose-and-head combo on Excel Sports that costs like 20 bucks.

alfeng said:
You can put a SILCA pump head on almost any pump hose -- about $10 ...

If your LBS can't order one for you, you can get one from COLORADO CYCLIST ... probably, EXCEL SPORTS, too, to name two mail order retailers (amongst many).

Mail Order can be a cyclist's "best friend" if you don't have an LBS that is conveniently located OR an LBS which doesn't have very smart Wrenches OR sales clerks.

Here's another "trick:"

Same thing happened to me, because the inner rubber of the presta pump head gets stripped out after repeated use. The new valve stems have a thread or two on the end to help hold the pump head on. Ironically, these threads also wear out the inner rubber.

To "get a grip," I just put a small piece of electric tape around the valve stem, to create extra friction, and it help the tired out presta pump head.

I also pull back my break hoods, and wind some electric tape around the inside plastic of the breakhoods, just to have some on hand if i need it on the road.

Cheers!

mark4bikes said:
Here's another "trick:"

I also pull back my break hoods, and wind some electric tape around the inside plastic of the breakhoods, just to have some on hand if i need it on the road.
Good idea!

I have exactly the same problem. Please let me know when you get an answer to your question.

Thanks,

Gordon

I also have the same problem with a Wrench Force pump. I want to replace the head. Let me know what works.

I discovered that the Trek Wrench Force floor pump is actually a re-branded Park Tool pump. You can get an exact replacement here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00426GZJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The kit has both the pump head and the o-ring seal for the plunger.

I have the same problem, Thank dumgrunt!
big-smile.png

Thank you very much. I could cut the hose and use one of the Silca heads (I'd have to cut it because the head is a screw-on type of thing), but Excel Sports has a hose-and-head combo for around $20. stick merge

I hear you, it's frustrating when your trusty gear starts acting up. But before you ditch the whole pump, let's consider a few things. Have you tried adjusting the pressure on the lock? Sometimes, a slight tweak can make all the difference.

Now, if that doesn't work, I feel your pain. Replacing the entire pump seems like overkill. I did some digging around and found that Wrench Force doesn't seem to sell separate heads. However, there are universal replacements available online. They might not match your pump perfectly, but hey, who's gonna judge?

Here's a thought: why not embrace the challenge? Think of it as an opportunity to learn more about your bike. After all, we cyclists are always up for a bit of DIY, aren't we?

Remember, it's not about having the fanciest tools; it's about how you use them. Happy cycling!