Weird stuff seen on your Commute?

Depends on what you classify as 'weird'......

Half a fast-food meal, syringes, condoms and similar debris that comes with living near what our mayor likes to describe as a 'cultural corridor' are daily par for the course.
So are car bumpers (where'd the car go?), tires, shoes (usually only 1...), clothes in varying stages of dirtiness and degradation, dead Prairie Dogs, Jackrabbits, Coyotes, etc.

Certainly the most startling item I've seen on a (driving) 'commute' would have been an upright refrigerator, standing right there in the middle lane of a freeway interchange ramp.
Standing upright, closed, as if ready to plug in and use.
Fortunately, I was paying attention......

kroop said:
A vibrator on the side of the road-I thought it was a flashlight at first glance. Wrong size? Wrong color?
Ah, too funny. About a month ago I saw a ***** about 18 inches long and as big around as a beer can:eek:. Now if you went to the trouble to procure such a thing, how would you lose it on the side of the road. I have been known to pick up "side of the road junk" but I too passed on this one. My best find was a belt sander that worked!

Today I saw a nice running shoe and a boot. I never seem to see shoes in pairs, only singles. Why is that?

A live snapping turtle in the middle of the bike lane. Gave him a bit of room. Normally I tend to see the other junk everyone else sees, fast food trash, bottles, cigarette debris, and the odd roadkill. Every once in awhile I will see a live deer, coyote, or fox. Less often but more eventful are encounters with skunks.

Our trails here in Ohio tend to run along river banks, and the river banks are over run with Canadian Geese (thanks Canada:D). If they are not on the trail, they leave behind nice slippery deposits to ride through. Sometimes there will be some domesticated geese in with them and they are truly nasty birds. I've been chased by more geese than dogs this year. The only bad thing is that the Canadian Geese are still a protected species, otherwise I would have goose for dinner a couple of times a week.

my commute takes me through 1500 acres of state gameland on a dirt road, very desolate and seldom traveled by others. on the ride home in the dark, coming around a bend, someone fashioned a standing partial manequin wearing a red tunic and holding a plastic sword raised in a threatening manner and placed it in the middle of the road. i yelled out in suprise as i almost ditched my bike until i realised what it was. after my heart rate returned to operational level i had a good chuckle thinking about the next knucklehead speeding down the same road in their 4x4

fishrider314 said:
my commute takes me through 1500 acres of state gameland on a dirt road, very desolate and seldom traveled by others. on the ride home in the dark, coming around a bend, someone fashioned a standing partial manequin wearing a red tunic and holding a plastic sword raised in a threatening manner and placed it in the middle of the road. i yelled out in suprise as i almost ditched my bike until i realised what it was. after my heart rate returned to operational level i had a good chuckle thinking about the next knucklehead speeding down the same road in their 4x4
As a joke one Halloween in my younger days, my friends and I stole all of the Jack-O-Lanterns that we could find and put new candles in them. About two o'clock in the morning (just before the bars closed around here), we lined them up across the road just over a rise where you couldn't see them until you were almost on top of them. It only took two cars to completely demolish the pumpkins, but both drivers stopped and got out, clearly agitated at what they had just run over. Sorry to hijack the thread but this tied in nicely with the previous post.

Not so much weird as unexpected.

Two turkeys, doing what I can only assume was the nasty. I felt embarrassed for having biked into their midst - the least they could have done was get a room.
tongue.gif

Weirdest thing that I ever saw was at about 10:30 one night, while returning home from work after a long Saturday shift. I was on a cyclepath, and just after crossing over a bridge, there were 2 kids in the path. One, a young kid was kneeling in the path, next to his bike, which was laying on its side. The other, a tall teenager was standing astride his bike, PREACHING to beat the Devil! I had to go onto the grass to get around them, and the preacher kid never missed a beat! "....our almighty Lord Jesus Christ, and they HATED him. Why? Because he..." at that point I was beyond earshot, and didn't feel like sticking around for a collection.

kdelong said:
A live snapping turtle in the middle of the bike lane. Gave him a bit of room. Normally I tend to see the other junk everyone else sees, fast food trash, bottles, cigarette debris, and the odd roadkill. Every once in awhile I will see a live deer, coyote, or fox. Less often but more eventful are encounters with skunks.

Our trails here in Ohio tend to run along river banks, and the river banks are over run with Canadian Geese (thanks Canada:D). If they are not on the trail, they leave behind nice slippery deposits to ride through. Sometimes there will be some domesticated geese in with them and they are truly nasty birds. I've been chased by more geese than dogs this year. The only bad thing is that the Canadian Geese are still a protected species, otherwise I would have goose for dinner a couple of times a week.
Like this one?

fixiecenturyturtlecompressed.jpg

mikesbytes said:
Like this one?

fixiecenturyturtlecompressed.jpg
No a little bigger, sort of like the one that fourfingerjoe was messing with right before he became threefingerjoe:D.

I get a kick out of stupid signs or signs that have been placed wrong.

There was a cemetary up in New Britain, CT that was separated from an office building by the building's parking lot. Only when the building super put out the no parking sign, he placed it on the cemetary fence so that it looked like the sign pertained to the cemetary and not the office building. The sign read "Parking for tenants only".

Signs could get a whole thread to themselves. A recent one that got a laugh out of me was a local filling station that lost the big "S" over their SELF SERVICE pumps. Given the season, the loss of this letter may have been more dliberate than accidental.