weird tremor in thumb...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Determined, May 5, 2003.

  1. Determined

    Determined Guest

    I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore, but fine otherwise. But ever
    since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold my hand a certain way it
    spazzes out. Possible from the ride?

    det

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore, but fine otherwise. But
    > ever since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold my hand a certain way it
    > spazzes out. Possible from the ride?
    >
    > det

    Do you wear gloves?

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

  3. Determined

    Determined Guest

    > > I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore,
    but
    > > fine otherwise. But ever since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold my
    > > hand a certain way it spazzes out. Possible
    from
    > > the ride?
    > >
    > > det
    > >

    > Do you wear gloves?

    Not that trip...

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore,
    > but
    > > > fine otherwise. But ever since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold
    > > > my hand a certain way it spazzes out. Possible
    > from
    > > > the ride?
    > > >
    > > > det
    > > >

    > > Do you wear gloves?
    >
    > Not that trip...

    gloves help to prevent pressure points on the ulnar nerve. By "Not that trip" it suggests you have
    some gloves. i would recommend you wear them for rides longer than a "quickie". it can actually
    cause damage to the nerve if you forget gloves for too many long rides.

    I recall seeing some gel padded grips a while back, though i can't seem to find them anywhere, but
    those may help should you forget the gloves again.

    This is a stage that all people here seem to have gone through. the sacred knowledge of the ulnar
    nerve has been bestowed upon you ;-)

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

  5. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > Not that trip...

    A combination of decent gloves and a looser grip on the bars should help alleviate this problem. A
    lot of people grip the bars way too hard when they start out.

    Andy Chequer

  6. Determined

    Determined Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Not that trip...
    >
    > A combination of decent gloves and a looser grip on the bars should help alleviate this problem. A
    > lot of people grip the bars way too hard when
    they
    > start out.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Gawd, at least it's not MS or something bad like that... I'll wear my gloves!

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    determined wrote:
    > I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore, but fine otherwise. But
    > ever since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold my hand a certain way it
    > spazzes out. Possible from the ride?
    >
    > det

    Could be a nerve, but it could also be an overworked muscle I think. Gloves and loosening your grip,
    as suggested, should alleviate the problem.

    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
    worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
    view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
    prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

  8. Technician wrote:
    > This is a stage that all people here seem to have gone through. the sacred knowledge of the ulnar
    > nerve has been bestowed upon you ;-)

    Some more than others.....

    "Our volts go to 11"

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]ape.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Technician wrote:
    > > This is a stage that all people here seem to have gone through. the sacred knowledge of the
    > > ulnar nerve has been bestowed upon you ;-)
    >
    > Some more than others.....
    >
    > "Our volts go to 11"

    Why the nerve! (Conduction test, that is :)

    Bill "release the hounds...AND the death grip" S.

    --
    They say Einstein conceived the Theory of Relativity while riding a bike.

    Me? I decided what to have for lunch.

    -- B.S.

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had my first lengthy ride on Saturday... My butt is just a tad sore, but fine otherwise. But
    > ever since the ride I have this weird tremor in my thumb, where if I hold my hand a certain way it
    > spazzes out. Possible from the ride?

    Hitchhiker's Thumb, aka jack Kerouac's Disease.

    JD