weird v brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I got some new bikes with V-Brakes, the problem is that the pads will both be touching the rims,
    and ill put on the brakes, and they will goto the bars with horible braking, all the tension is
    right, so what wrong, are they just cheap pads? When i lot go they are fine but still touching,
    they are horrible

    Any tips?

    Tags:

  2. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    its an old bike, the problem is that i can get the pads aligned perfect but when i use them the feel
    really spongy, the lever goes to the bars, i can get the rear to lock up, but it doesnt feel solid
    like regular v brakes. I pull the lever and the pads only move about 3/8 inch each, then then im at
    about half way ont he lever and the rest feels wasted.

  3. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote:

    > I got some new bikes with V-Brakes, the problem is that the pads will both be touching the rims,
    > and ill put on the brakes, and they will goto the bars with horible braking,

    V-brakes require specific levers that pull more cable for a given amount of lever travel. Get a pair
    of those and you'll be all set.

    Chalo

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote:
    >
    > > I got some new bikes with V-Brakes, the problem is that the pads will both be touching the rims,
    > > and ill put on the brakes, and they will goto the bars with horible braking,
    >
    > V-brakes require specific levers that pull more cable for a given amount of lever travel. Get a
    > pair of those and you'll be all set.
    >
    > Chalo

    I'm guessing that the problem we have here is non v-brake levers being used with v-brakes. Sounds
    like what was going with one of my setups.

    Mike

  5. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    That may be it! Its a huffy, so no thought went into the bike, and I didnt pay for it. The LEvers
    are aluminum and the clamps are plastic, so whe you pull on them, the bend anyway. Pathetic...

  6. On 13 Jun 2003 19:10:07 -0700, [email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote:

    >its an old bike, the problem is that i can get the pads aligned

    Then why did you say it's a new one?

    >perfect but when i use them the feel really spongy, the lever goes to the bars, i can get the rear
    >to lock up, but it doesnt feel solid like regular v brakes. I pull the lever and the pads only move
    >about 3/8 inch each, then then im at about half way ont he lever and the rest feels wasted.

    Brake cable housing, would be my guess. Are you really sure it's a v-brake, and not a regular
    cantilever brake or brake calipers? V-brakes are IIRC fairly new (some 7 or 8 years), so a *really*
    old bike wouldn't have them.

    Jasper