Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Welding a CroMo Steering Tube

Started by Thomas Reynolds · · Last activity · 5 posts · 562 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
12 May 2004
Original author
Thomas Reynolds
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
562
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm asking for opinions. I have an unused Trek carbon fork
    with a CroMo steel threaded steering tube. It is unused
    because it was meant for a real small bike and the steering
    tube is very short.

    What is your opinion of taking a cutoff from another steel
    steering tube, welding it to the end of this one, grinding
    down the welds, and then cutting and threading it to fit one
    of my bikes?

    Thanks in advance, Tom

  2. Thomas Reynolds said:

    I'm asking for opinions. I have an unused Trek carbon fork
    with a CroMo steel threaded steering tube. It is unused
    because it was meant for a real small bike and the
    steering tube is very short.

    What is your opinion of taking a cutoff from another steel
    steering tube, welding it to the end of this one, grinding
    down the welds, and then cutting and threading it to fit
    one of my bikes?

    As opposed to just buying a fork with a _one piece
    steerer_??? You gotta be kidding, right?

    Threaded CrMo carbon blade forks still readily available and
    popular. Not too expensive either ($225).
    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  3. On 9 May 2004 19:54:32 -0700, [email hidden] (Thomas Reynolds)

    may have said:

    I'm asking for opinions. I have an unused Trek carbon fork
    with a CroMo steel threaded steering tube. It is unused
    because it was meant for a real small bike and the steering
    tube is very short.

    What is your opinion of taking a cutoff from another steel
    steering tube, welding it to the end of this one, grinding
    down the welds, and then cutting and threading it to fit
    one of my bikes?

    Reality check: By the time you have all that done in a
    sufficiently professional manner to produce an acceptable
    result, you'll have spent how much? Bear in mind that the
    welding will have to be done by someone who's damn good at
    it if you're going to avoid embrittlement of the tube and
    potential cracking under stress, and it's not just the
    external diameter that must be cleaned up if the fork will
    be used with a quill stem; the *inside* will have to be
    bored straight as well.

    I'm not saying it's impossible. If you were going to convert
    it for threadless usage and didn't care about the extra
    weight, I'd say that sleeving the inside of the tube and
    welding both the old tube and the new one to the sleeve
    might have a good chance of success, but that would probably
    only work for a threadless setup. What you're describing,
    however, strikes me as not a good idea.

    I'd peddle the fork on eBay and spend the proceeds on a
    different one.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
    e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words
    processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Thomas Reynolds said:

    I'm asking for opinions. I have an unused Trek carbon fork
    with a CroMo steel threaded steering tube. It is unused
    because it was meant for a real small bike and the steering
    tube is very short.

    What is your opinion of taking a cutoff from another steel
    steering tube, welding it to the end of this one, grinding
    down the welds, and then cutting and threading it to fit
    one of my bikes?

    Crazy, don't do it.

    --Paul

  5. On 9 May 2004 19:54:32 -0700, [email hidden] (Thomas Reynolds)

    Quoted message said:

    I'm asking for opinions. I have an unused Trek carbon fork
    with a CroMo steel threaded steering tube. It is unused
    because it was meant for a real small bike and the steering
    tube is very short.

    What is your opinion of taking a cutoff from another steel
    steering tube, welding it to the end of this one, grinding
    down the welds, and then cutting and threading it to fit
    one of my bikes?

    Sounds like an interesting exercise, but not very practical.
    Having done lots of fabrication in my car racing days I'm
    sure it could be done, but the main problem is making sure
    the two halves of the welded stem are in perfect allignment,
    otherwise you're looking for problems in the headset.

    If you opt to go ahead, find someone who is really good at
    TIG welding. If he lays down a really nice, compact bead you
    shouldn't have to grind it down at all. Besides, grinding
    only weakens the weld. Install the crown race first and hope
    you never have to change it.
    :-)

    Last time I had this done (modification to a CroMo stem) I
    had to pay the welder extra for the CroMo wire. Since he
    didn't have any in stock I'm sure I bought his next year's
    supply. It turned out to be a more expensive exercise than I
    expected. :-(

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
    home.earthlink.net~jeverett3

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.