Welding Titanium seat rail?

Rickw2

Nov 28, 2003
This describes my luck, i get up at 3:07am (to get ahead on my work), work like a idiot until 12:10pm, get on the bike (just starting to mist a little, temp 47 degrees), 22 miles from the office my seat rail breaks just as the wind picks up and the temp drops to 40. The ride back into the wind with my seat leaning 40 degrees was lots of fun (avg speed out 22.4mph, avg speed back 17.2mph... uuuuggghhhh@!).

Question though: it was a clean break, can I get is re-welded?

It could be rewelded but it would have some problems. It would be hard maybe to do a root weld on the rails because of the saddle above would be in the way. It would be hard to purge the rail with argon. And the seat rail could distort and not let you move the saddle on the clamp. Don't think it would be a good thing to do. The cost depending who does it could be too high to make it worthwhile.

Originally posted by Rickw2
This describes my luck, i get up at 3:07am (to get ahead on my work), work like a idiot until 12:10pm, get on the bike (just starting to mist a little, temp 47 degrees), 22 miles from the office my seat rail breaks just as the wind picks up and the temp drops to 40. The ride back into the wind with my seat leaning 40 degrees was lots of fun (avg speed out 22.4mph, avg speed back 17.2mph... uuuuggghhhh@!).

Question though: it was a clean break, can I get is re-welded?

Arrow Racing Bikes used to do titanium rail conversions for people that had saddles with chromoly rails. Not sure if they still do this. Look them up. They may be able to replace the entire saddle rail.