Well done Waitrose

squeaker wrote:
> naked_draughtsman wrote:
>
>>Our Tesco was recently upgraded to a Tesco Extra and they doubled the
>>number of bike stands. They're under the vast new canopy at the front
>>and you can see them from the checkouts.
>>They're not quite Sheffield stands and aren't as good but they're still
>>fully used most of the day. Tesco must have got one of their bulk
>>purchasing deals on that type of stand because they seem to be used at
>>other new stores too
>>(http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/44/article8.html)
>>I just wish they'd made a decent way for cyclists to get to the stands!
>>
>>peter
>>

> Looks like the're being used the wrong way round - IMHO they'd work
> better with the high bit next to the seat post / rear triangle?

I saw some nice bike stands at 3M in Bracknell. Bike easily secured to
the post, saddle clips over a small hook and there is even a little hat
to keep it dry.

Don't know who makes them but the looked good and appeared functional
(and well used)

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Certainly in Weston-super-Mare, both Morrisons' and Asda's cycle pathing
> is woefully inadequate (can't comment on Tescos because I've never
> noticed - if I go there I'm walking past anyway!)

Tesco WSM Centre has too few racks, mounted too close to the wall,
sometimes hit by trollies going to their storage by it, and it's
not signposted from the road entrances. An anti-cycling place IMO
and, anyway, a horrible shop with advert TVs above the aisles.

There are greengrocers, butchers, baker, fishmonger around Silica
instead and there's lots of cycle parking there.

I've not noticed any racks at all Tesco North Worle - was it one of
the last ones built before planning rules required cycle parking?

Sainsbury Worle Queensway has two banks of racks under cover, and
there's often an empty trolley shelter with a bar that can be used.
I think they were added when the store was modified a few years ago.

Somerfield Worle has one three-bike stand by the front door. As I
understand it, they installed it voluntarily - not by planning rules.

Coop Worle has small council bike parks opposite and by the Library.

Coop WSM Centre has no parking near it, but plenty of pig-pen railings
with enough room on the kerb side for my bike.

Parking for the monthly fresh market is easiest, with stands by two
edges of the Italian Gardens. The farm shop at Kewstoke has easy
parking against a railing fence and you can always see your bike.

Any more?

[...]
> At Morrisons, again the number of stands is woefully inadequate,
> although they are at least out of the way of the trolleys, more or less.

There seem to be at least two banks but only one is signposted.

The next local Cycle Forum is 7pm Wed 10 Jan at the Campus Worle (behind
Morrisons Worle).

--
MJR/slef

On 04/01/2007 17:26, MJ Ray said,

> Tesco WSM Centre...
> Tesco North Worle...
> Sainsbury Worle Queensway...
> Somerfield Worle...
> Coop Worle...
> Coop WSM Centre
> monthly fresh market...
> farm shop at Kewstoke...
>
> Any more?

You missed out Farmfoods :) According to the planning application,
there are supposed to be some stands a little distance away from the
entrance. Most people just park their bikes by the door because it's
not obvious there's parking anywhere else. Checks out of upstairs window...

....no, it's too dark where the bike stands are supposed to be to see if
they're actually there or not :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven wrote:
> That's unusual. My experience of Sainsbury's is they have nearly always
> run out of anything I might want.

When I used to do most of the shopping I stopped using Sainsbury's
because they stopped carrying so many of the products that I bought
regularly, replacing them with Sainsbury's own brand versions.

That, and there's a good reason why DW and I describe broken biscuits,
dented tins and the like as being "Sainsburyed".

On 04/01/2007 19:24, Danny Colyer said,

> That, and there's a good reason why DW and I describe broken biscuits,
> dented tins and the like as being "Sainsburyed".

You should try Asda down here for dented tins! I don't know who's
responsible for denting them, but they don't do a good job - sometimes
there's one still undented :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> permajeo wrote:
>> Interesting response so far but I think I'll call in tomorrow morning
>> and ask just how it works and maybe post a few pics. Hopefully it's not
>> too good to be true.

> Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

Alan

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whoops
>
>> Certainly in Weston-super-Mare, both Morrisons' and Asda's cycle pathing

> "pathing"???? I obviously meant "parking"!

We will forgive you. this time!

Alan

Paul Boyd wrote:
> You should try Asda down here for dented tins! I don't know who's
> responsible for denting them, but they don't do a good job - sometimes
> there's one still undented :)

It's not a problem at our local Asda. Sainsbury's seem to be consistent
at every branch we visit, though.

Paul Boyd wrote:
> Longwell Green? The cream counter there is something I miss!

Yup. The frog and pig shaped cream cakes that DW bought for me to take
to work on my birthday a couple of years ago went down very well.

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> of
http://groups.google.com wrote:
>Our Tesco was recently upgraded to a Tesco Extra and they doubled the
>number of bike stands. They're under the vast new canopy at the front
>and you can see them from the checkouts.
>They're not quite Sheffield stands and aren't as good but they're still
>fully used most of the day. Tesco must have got one of their bulk
>purchasing deals on that type of stand because they seem to be used at
>other new stores too
>(http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/44/article8.html)

The new Tesco store (open just over a year) near me has these angled stands
as does one that has been there for maybe 15 years, so I don't think it's
just new ones.

The stands at the older store are under an overhang and fitted a short
distance from the adjacent wall, so they work well. At the new store the
stands are out in the open which is not so pleasant. But what's worse is
that the stands are jammed up against a wall so if I try to fit my drop
frame bike adjacent to the angled tube of the stand I can't because there's
not enough room for the front wheel. So like the cyclists in the photo I
end up putting my bike in the other way round. I have complained about it
(in writing), but nothing happened.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Paul Boyd <[email protected]>
> On 04/01/2007 17:26, MJ Ray said,
> > Tesco WSM Centre...
> > Tesco North Worle...
> > Sainsbury Worle Queensway...
> > Somerfield Worle...
> > Coop Worle...
> > Coop WSM Centre
> > monthly fresh market...
> > farm shop at Kewstoke...
> >
> > Any more?

> You missed out Farmfoods :) [...]

Never been there and after seeing the stuff they sold in K.Lynn, I
doubt I'll make a special trip.

Lidl Worle has stands about as near to the door as the parking, but
damned if I can tell how they expect cyclists to get from the road to
the stands: 3 sides of a square through the car park?

Any more for any more?
--
MJR/slef
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/environment#cycling

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> permajeo wrote:
>>> Interesting response so far but I think I'll call in tomorrow morning
>>> and ask just how it works and maybe post a few pics. Hopefully it's not
>>> too good to be true.

>> Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

> Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

Ealing.

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>> Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

> Close to West Ealing station on Alexandria road. It's just been
> massively increased in size and is clearly visible as the big grey
> building here:

Thanks, I only go to that part of the world once a fortnight in the
evenings, but I will try to make the effort to remember they are there!

Alan

> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=51.512862,-0.320942&spn=0.003232,0.007231&t=h&om=1

"ian henden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

>> Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?
>>

> Ealing.

Bearing im mind that ealing covers about 10 square miles, that is most
helpful!

Thanks!