Well, I went and did it

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by G.T., Dec 27, 2005.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    I ordered my 29"er, in green:

    http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html

    In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.

    Greg

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    >
    > http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    >
    > In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    > time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    > but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    > in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    >
    > Greg

    Nice frame, just not into the whole cross thing (and it's big over here
    in flatlands). Good luck on the build!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > G.T. wrote:
    > > I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    > >
    > > http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    > >
    > > In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out

    over
    > > time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > > stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally

    built
    > > but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first

    29er
    > > in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    > >
    > > Greg
    > >

    > Nice frame, just not into the whole cross thing (and it's big over here
    > in flatlands). Good luck on the build!

    This is going to be my commuter/road/rollers/dirt road/all-around bike and I
    just may try a 'cross event next winter. It's replacing my Bonty which will
    be stored until it grows into an SS some day.

    Greg

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:50:52 -0800, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    >
    >http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    >
    >In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    >time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    >stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    >but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    >in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    >
    >Greg

    Have a Soma Holiday,

    Bill

    The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
    a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
    and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
    Sir Isaac Newton

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:50:52 -0800, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    > >
    > >http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    > >
    > >In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out

    over
    > >time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > >stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    > >but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first

    29er
    > >in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    > >
    > >Greg
    > >

    > Have a Soma Holiday,
    >
    > Bill

    Well, I called Soma today and my frame, fork, cranks, and BB should be
    shipped tomorrow!

    I currently am still needing a stem, bars, headset, bar tape, and front
    derailer. So far I've gathered the following from my parts bin, Ebay, and
    Soma:

    60cm Double Cross in green with matching fork, Sugino Swiss Cross Compact
    crankset 48-34, IRD Quad BB
    Ritchey Vantage Comp 700c 32 hole rims on WTB Speed XC hubs with DT spokes
    and brass nipples, and Speedmax 35mm tires
    Classic Suntour XC Pro seatpost (or Syncros) and Flite saddle
    XT 11-32 cassette and chain
    XT rear derailer
    105 brake levers/shifters
    Avid Shorty 4 brakes

    I can't wait for it's maiden voyage.

    Greg

  6. JD

    JD Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:50:52 -0800, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    > > >
    > > >http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    > > >
    > > >In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out

    > over
    > > >time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > > >stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    > > >but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first

    > 29er
    > > >in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    > > >
    > > >Greg
    > > >

    > > Have a Soma Holiday,
    > >
    > > Bill
    > >

    > Well, I called Soma today and my frame, fork, cranks, and BB should be
    > shipped tomorrow!
    >
    > I currently am still needing a stem, bars, headset, bar tape, and front
    > derailer. So far I've gathered the following from my parts bin, Ebay, and
    > Soma:
    >
    > 60cm Double Cross in green with matching fork, Sugino Swiss Cross Compact
    > crankset 48-34, IRD Quad BB
    > Ritchey Vantage Comp 700c 32 hole rims on WTB Speed XC hubs with DT spokes
    > and brass nipples, and Speedmax 35mm tires
    > Classic Suntour XC Pro seatpost (or Syncros) and Flite saddle
    > XT 11-32 cassette and chain
    > XT rear derailer
    > 105 brake levers/shifters
    > Avid Shorty 4 brakes
    >
    > I can't wait for it's maiden voyage.
    >
    > Greg

    Are you going to start with slicks or a 'cross tire?

    JD

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    > G.T. wrote:
    > > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > over

    local

    built

    first
    > > 29er

    off-roadable.

    > > > Have a Soma Holiday,
    > > >
    > > > Bill
    > > >

    > > Well, I called Soma today and my frame, fork, cranks, and BB should be
    > > shipped tomorrow!
    > >
    > > I currently am still needing a stem, bars, headset, bar tape, and front
    > > derailer. So far I've gathered the following from my parts bin, Ebay,

    and
    > > Soma:
    > >
    > > 60cm Double Cross in green with matching fork, Sugino Swiss Cross

    Compact
    > > crankset 48-34, IRD Quad BB
    > > Ritchey Vantage Comp 700c 32 hole rims on WTB Speed XC hubs with DT

    spokes
    > > and brass nipples, and Speedmax 35mm tires
    > > Classic Suntour XC Pro seatpost (or Syncros) and Flite saddle
    > > XT 11-32 cassette and chain
    > > XT rear derailer
    > > 105 brake levers/shifters
    > > Avid Shorty 4 brakes
    > >
    > > I can't wait for it's maiden voyage.
    > >
    > > Greg

    > Are you going to start with slicks or a 'cross tire?

    Ultimately I'd like to have two sets of wheels, one with slicks for when I
    know I'll stay on the road or for my rollers during the winter, and one with
    'cross tires for exploring. But since the wheels came with the 'cross tires
    mounted and partially inflated that's what I'll be using for it's maiden
    voyage.

    Greg

  8. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    >
    > http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    >
    > In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    > time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    > but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    > in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    >
    > Greg

    Nice, but I would have gone with the Surly X-Check. The long,
    horizontal rear dropouts make going fixie an easy option. This is a
    good thing. Just ask Corvus.
    I was going to check measurements/angles but couldn't find any on the
    Soma site.
    I think the Surly's a touch more expensive until you consider that it
    comes with the fork.

    /s

  9. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > G.T. wrote:
    >
    >>I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    >>
    >>http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    >>
    >>In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    >>time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    >>stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    >>but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    >>in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    >>
    >>Greg

    > Nice, but I would have gone with the Surly X-Check.

    This was my very close 2nd choice, I really had only two choices but
    they were neck and neck. I had other choices if I wanted to bump up a
    price level, like the Gunnar or a closeout 2004 IRD (perfect except they
    are now out of my size).

    > The long, horizontal rear dropouts make going fixie an easy option.

    I have long, horizontal rear dropouts on my Bontrager so a flip-flop hub
    is a possibility. But in general there's a thousand feet of elevation
    change between here and work, and except for a couple of miles on the
    main thoroughfare there's nothing but straight up or straight down here.
    I'm in the foothills of the San Gabriels, very steep, relatively young
    mountains. So, fixie is a low priority right now.

    > This is a
    > good thing. Just ask Corvus.
    > I was going to check measurements/angles but couldn't find any on the
    > Soma site.

    http://somafab.com/geometry03.html

    Pretty similar but now that you got me looking again you got me started
    on some buyer's remorse. The Surly can definitely run fatter tires.

    > I think the Surly's a touch more expensive until you consider that it
    > comes with the fork.

    They're close enough in price range that price didn't come into this
    comparison.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  10. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > Scott Gordo wrote:
    > > G.T. wrote:
    > >
    > >>I ordered my 29"er, in green:
    > >>
    > >>http://store.somafab.com/sodocrcyfr.html
    > >>
    > >>In order to do this as cheaply as possible and to spread the cost out over
    > >>time I'm going to keep an eye on Ebay, and check with friends and local
    > >>stores for cheap parts. It's going to be awhile until it's totally built
    > >>but hopefully once built it will last a lifetime. It will be my first 29er
    > >>in over 11 years, and unlike my Trek 5000 this one will be off-roadable.
    > >>
    > >>Greg

    > > Nice, but I would have gone with the Surly X-Check.

    > This was my very close 2nd choice, I really had only two choices but
    > they were neck and neck. I had other choices if I wanted to bump up a
    > price level, like the Gunnar or a closeout 2004 IRD (perfect except they
    > are now out of my size).
    >
    > > The long, horizontal rear dropouts make going fixie an easy option.

    > I have long, horizontal rear dropouts on my Bontrager so a flip-flop hub
    > is a possibility. But in general there's a thousand feet of elevation
    > change between here and work, and except for a couple of miles on the
    > main thoroughfare there's nothing but straight up or straight down here.
    > I'm in the foothills of the San Gabriels, very steep, relatively young
    > mountains. So, fixie is a low priority right now.
    >
    > > This is a
    > > good thing. Just ask Corvus.
    > > I was going to check measurements/angles but couldn't find any on the
    > > Soma site.

    > http://somafab.com/geometry03.html
    >
    > Pretty similar but now that you got me looking again you got me started
    > on some buyer's remorse. The Surly can definitely run fatter tires.
    >
    > > I think the Surly's a touch more expensive until you consider that it
    > > comes with the fork.
    > >

    > They're close enough in price range that price didn't come into this
    > comparison.
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > --
    > "All my time I spent in heaven
    > Revelries of dance and wine
    > Waking to the sound of laughter
    > Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

    I didn't mean to pee on your parade with my fixie fever, especially for
    an on-offroad bike. The track Somas I've seen are nice frames. I'm just
    livin' la vida sealevel with an occasional bridge to roll over, so
    horizontal dropouts get me all hot and bothered. Besides, I think that
    you can get a White Bros ENO in a fixed version. In fact:
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/may/GeoffAlbert.htm
    I've also heard complaints from some quarters regarding the tire width
    available to the original Surly track bikes. They offered so much tire
    clearance that people claimed they couldn't run standard narrow track
    bbs/cranks/chainrings. Don't know if that applies at all to the
    CrossCheck or the kind of parts you'd be using on it, I'm just saying.

    /s