Well, I'd like opinions and ideas...

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Xeys, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Xeys

Xeys New Member

After seriously spraining my ankle on a trail run today(musta been a root) I'm seriously thinking of committing to cycling fulltime and leave running alone. I had wanted to do some triathlons and some duathlons, but I think I'm gonna give up running altogether. I just enjoy riding my bike more. But I wantt o do lots of activities. Running was neat; I ran for almost the last 15 years, but I think that I need at least a long break. But I need a list of alternative bike riding I can do. I'm a little scared of road racing, because its kinda scary being in a pack, and I can't do all the little tricks like ride with no hands, and such. I have been riding for about 7 months now. I'd like to do some sort of bike event every weekend of the year, or at least be in a position to do one. I bought a mountain bike recently, and I'd like to do some racing. I guess. You see, I really don't care about winning anything, but I want the thrill of actually participating and feeling like I didn't embarass myself. Running was my outlet for that, because I at least was aveage. However, I suck at riding my bike. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I had tried this "keep your heart rate anearobic training" and it just seems to not be making me anybetter. Admittedly, my HR is lower on climbs, but couldn't I get that elsewhere? I probably havea decent base; I've been riding for a while now. Also, Is there anything wrong with doing most of your training on a trainer? I know this is not the bike training forum. I'm just looking for ideas on how to get more involved with bike activities. Is it wrong to just want to participate, and not trying to win? I'm an average white male, no girl, don't drink, don't smoke, and I'm just trying to do events as my personal version of "partying". I'm sorry if this post sounds strange. Thanks for reading.

Cecil

Tags:

2. Xeys

Xeys New Member

I'm sorry, I meant Aerobic in the previous post.

3. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Hmmmmm....for pack riding just find yourself a casual group ride offered through a bike shop or a cycling club. The only way you will get comfortable with group riding is to just do it.
    It does seem intimidating at first but if you find a casual, all levels, all skills group you are golden. It is really fun! I have only been riding the road for two seasons...my first I was a lone wolf and just did solo stuff. Two of my objectives this year was to become more sociable and to ride some events. I did both and cannot imagine not doing the Group ride scene.
    Check out the local bike shops and see if they offer rides. Let them know you are new to the sport and want to develop skills. You will not regret it. Good luck.

4. Xeys

Xeys New Member

What about cyclocross? Does anyone do that in texas?

Is it even an option in the states

5. yamaha_mike

yamaha_mike New Member

I am going to try it as well. One thing I am doing is using an indoor roller this winter, hoping that it will help me be a smoother and more balanced rider when I do join a group.

6. Xeys

Xeys New Member

Are rollers noisy?

7. treebound

treebound New Member

Cyclocross is very active up here in Wisconsin, there are probably some events down around your area.

Roller noise will depend on what rollers you have and how your house/apt is set up. I had an older set of Minoura rollers and in one apartment I lived it if I used them in the middle of the living room you'd swear I was set up on top of a big bass drum, but if I set them up in a doorway (especially a doorway with support under it downstairs) you couldn't hear me on them unless you pressed your ear to the outside of the front door (and then you'd only hear the tires whirring and me wheezing).

What sort of events you'll like doing is totally up to you. Probably the best advice was already mentioned, visit as many local bike shops you can and see what the people there know. And don't just listen to the first person you talk to there, it is often the case that one employee will be into track racing, another into single-track dirt stuff, another wholly into downhill stuff, another a dedicated roadie but who despises crits, another who loves crits and will consider riding nothing else, another who is only into club and social rides and does no racing apart from occaisionally volunteering at various races, and finally another employee or shop owner who will tell you that there is no bicycle racing in the area of any kind. I ran into this a few years ago when looking for tubular tires for a track bike I had recently gotten for use on a local velodrome.

Up here there is also an organization set up around public racing, non-USCF events, and they have many road races and time trials around the state through the riding season. Again, there may be something similar down in your area. So ask around, go visit a few early season races as a spectator, maybe volunteer at one or two, and find your niche or preferences.

8. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

I will add that I found out about local rides and clubs by doing internet searches.Here anyway most of the larger shops have websites that proved to be very helpful in finding both road and trail rides.
    Search something simple like.....Huntsville cycling clubs and see what comes up. Or punch in the names of the local bike shops. You never know?

9. adamholck

adamholck New Member

15 Years and now an injury?! Too Bad. Only ran for 4 years - from about 18 - 21. I am 24 now and only run once a week because of injury. What I have observed from myself and others is the intense chemical benefits of running. I think the pleasure of running is a real obstacle to performance efficiency. What I mean is that running does not need to be done everyday to improve. In fact, I believe that one intense run a week is ideal. I ran everyday (the years I was a Marine) for four years and my times for the mile, 5k, and marathon peaked after about six months of intensive running. My three mile time peaked at just under 17 minutes and my mile time peaked at about 5 minutes. I took two years off from running to get my head back from the military and resumed training about 1 year ago. I am now 24. I run in my ideal heart rate (198) one time a week. I warm up with a ten minute walk, run a fast 5k, and then cool down with another 10 minute walk. My mile is now at 4.48 and my 5k is at 16.85. I bike or swim on other days. My point is that you can still do triathlons. A big mistake I see so many fanatical fitness freaks make is their inability to train less. You might be very surprised with yourself if train less and relax more.