Well, I'm disappointed.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Garrison Hillia, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Woman Plans Topless Protest on Bike Week
    Tue Mar 2, 5:46 PM ET Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!

    DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Liz Book believes exposed breasts are a part of motorcycle culture, so she
    plans to lead a protest of topless women on the last day of Bike Week.

    Book hopes to lead 1,000 "top-free" women and men along a half-mile of Main Street at noon Sunday.

    "I never want to see another girl handcuffed and crying in the street because she yanked her top,"
    said Book, 42. "Exposed breasts have been a part of the biker lifestyle for more than 50 years."

    City officials and police are taking a wait-and-see approach, in part because the city's ordinance
    allows nudity when it is part of a political protest.

    "It all depends on their behavior," said Al Tolley, Daytona Beach police spokesman. "The complexion
    of any protest can change, and it can turn into a lewd act in a heartbeat."

    Kevin Kilian, a vice president of The Chamber-Daytona Beach and Halifax Area, said his group also is
    opposed to Book's planned protest.

    "We as a community make a lot of concessions for our visitors," Kilian said. "It shouldn't be too
    much to ask that they respect the laws while they're here."

    The city's nudity ordinance resulted in fines of $253 each for 59 women who exposed their breasts
    during last year's Bike Week, which attracts tens of thousands of bikers each year from around the
    nation, according to police records.

    Book herself was arrested in 1998 when she bared her breasts inside the Full Moon Saloon bar.

    Tags:

  2. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Garrison,

    I'm fascinated. Why is the fine $253?

    In Colorado, the $15 fine for shouting
    obscene advice at a sheriff's deputy
    blowing through a stop sign is actually
    $17 because of a mysterious $2 "surcharge."

    Is the Florida fine $250 for the act, plus
    a dollar more for each exposed breast,
    and then another buck just for luck?

    Or is it eleven times some $23 base fine?

    Pruriently,

    Carl Fogel

  3. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Garrison Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Woman Plans Topless Protest on Bike Week Tue Mar 2, 5:46 PM ET Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!
    > DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Liz Book believes exposed breasts are a part of motorcycle culture, so she
    > plans to lead a protest of topless women on the last day of Bike Week.

    Garrison, I'm sure you will keep us abreast of the situation.

  4. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Woman Plans Topless Protest on Bike Week <snip> City officials and police are taking a wait-and-
    > see approach ....

    Seems like an appropriate response.

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    3 Mar 2004 16:34:06 -0800,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Dick Durbin) wrote:

    >Garrison Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Woman Plans Topless Protest on Bike Week Tue Mar 2, 5:46 PM ET Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!
    >> DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Liz Book believes exposed breasts are a part of motorcycle culture, so she
    >> plans to lead a protest of topless women on the last day of Bike Week.
    >
    >Garrison, I'm sure you will keep us abreast of the situation.

    That got a titter.
    --
    zk

  6. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Liz Book believes exposed breasts
    > >> are a part of motorcycle culture, so she plans to lead
    > >> a protest of topless women on the last day of Bike
    > >> Week.
    > >Garrison, I'm sure you will keep us abreast of the
    > >situation.
    > That got a titter.

    The protest was, to say the least, a bust. Liz Book was the
    only one to show up and show got arrested.

  7. On 8 Mar 2004 12:07:10 -0800, [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote:

    >The protest was, to say the least, a bust. Liz Book was the
    >only one to show up and show got arrested.

    or maybe busted.