Well, ive done it - sold the car

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Your no claim bonus lasts for 3 years - if you leave it longer then you
    will
    > lose out - a sneaky way around this is if your SO has a car? If so you can insure their car in
    > your name noting you are not the main driver or
    owner -
    > this way if the two of you keep switching the car insurance every other
    year
    > or so betweenb your names, your NCB will never expire ;-) Just a little trick from ya ol'
    > insurance man :)

    Hmm, I found it expired after two. Obviously you're in the business, but maybe you're dealing with
    different people to me?

    cheers, clive

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > Hmm, I found it expired after two. Obviously you're in the business, but maybe you're dealing with
    > different people to me?
    >
    > cheers, clive

    Well i suppose its pot luck between insurers - I dont really get involved in motor insurance but 3
    years IS the norm!

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    IanB <[email protected]> wrote:
    : had a dtae set for it to go on sale but this got overtaken by plans to move house. I feel that a
    : car is vital for this activity, taking stuff to the dump, transferring club stuff to other persons
    : as well as being a "safewr" way to move the

    Fair enough to wait till after you've left house.

    My only top tip (and believe me, it really is a good idea) is to buy a trailer if you don't
    have a car.

    I've never had a car (I've had use of one at various points and hire them sometimes) but only bought
    a trailer last year. Now I would just not be without it.

    In the last few weeks I've:

    * done shopping for two in Sainsburys
    * carted half of a big bench with a friend (he carried the other half on his trailer)
    * taken a load consiting of an old chair, some scrap iron and some green garden waste to the
    tip all in one go.

    And that's just using a YaK BoB which isn't the highest capacity trailer out there (it's a
    reasonable trade off for being easier to get it through small paths/gates for me).

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > Hmm, I found it expired after two. Obviously you're in the business, but maybe you're dealing with
    > different people to me?
    >
    > cheers, clive

    Ignore me - just checked with the expert - 2 years is the norm

  5. DSK

    DSK New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Its taken me 5 years to realise how unfit I was getting and it was time to do something about it. I haven't used the car for 2 months now and always use the cycle (unless it raining very heaviy etc - I don't want to get my pride an joy covered in winter crap, need to get a cheap hack for severe weather) and I feel much better, seen an improvement in fitnees too. Since ditching the car and cycling, I have saved an enormous amount on fuel bills and also cut journey times in many cases - fantastic!

    I haven't sold the motorbike though, but its being converted into a track day bike so that wont be whizzing about the Queens highways.

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    <snip good news bits> (unless it raining very heaviy etc - I don't want
    > to get my pride an joy covered in winter crap, need to get a cheap hack for severe weather)
    <snip other good news bits too> Just cover your pride and joy in a light coating of GT85 (not rims
    or discs ;-)...keeps the winter crap off...or a light coating of Vaseline, then clean off at the end
    of the season and fay presto!! - good as new...especially pleasing as the collected crud will make
    it look like it's a heap of trash...this can be cleaned off and replaced on days when you are unable
    to get out on the bike, midway through the season, providing an uplifting experience that helps
    alleviate S.A.D. Dave. -author takes no responsibility for treasured possessions turning to rusty
    heaps when following above instructions - ;-)