well jebus!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Tezel, May 29, 2004.

  1. John Tezel

    John Tezel Guest

    From cyclingnews.com live coverage today:

    But Cunego's success has been his team captain Gilberto
    Simoni's downfall. Simoni hasn't really been at the same
    level as last year, and although he made a bid for the
    victory yesterday, he was caught by Dario Cioni, who
    dragged Gonchar and Cunego up. Simoni was on Cunego's
    wheel when he jumped for the stage win, and either didn't
    or couldn't follow him when he went. After the stage
    finished, Simoni turned around and rode down the mountain
    to the team bus without talking to anyone, a with a sour,
    angry look on his face.

    As Simoni passed by Cunego, who was surrounded by
    journalists, Gibo pointed his finger at the 22 year old
    Maglia Rosa and angrily said "You're a bastard...you are
    really stupid."

    It seems that Simoni, who really wanted to win the stage was
    peeved for two reasons. After the chase group caught him on
    the ascent of Bormio, Cunego rode too hard of a rhythm,
    which took whatever remaining "juice" out of Simoni's legs
    there was.

    Then Simoni thought that Cunego didn't do a very good job of
    leading him out, and then further humiliated the proud
    mountain man by sprinting away for the stage win.

    After the stage, Simoni and his wife left the team hotel and
    went for a walk after dinner, which is when Cunego then came
    down to the dining room.

    Ouch. Unfortunately, Saeco has an embarrassment of riches in
    its team, and Simoni will have to ride extremely well today
    in order to take the jersey back. Don't rule it out though!

    --

    And today he seems to be abandoning his team to work with Garzelli up
    front, going all out to win it. When all he had to do was just

    No more online coverage for me... I'm catching this one on TV this
    afternoon!

    Tags:

  2. John Tezel wrote:
    > From cyclingnews.com live coverage today:
    [knip]
    > --
    >
    > And today he seems to be abandoning his team to work with
    > Garzelli up front, going all out to win it. When all he
    > had to do was just congratulate Cunego after stage 17, and
    > take it easy over the mountains in stages 18 and 19 in
    > preparation for the tdf.
    >
    > No more online coverage for me... I'm catching this one on
    > TV this afternoon!

    Simoni was going for 2nd on GC and it almost worked. If
    Cunego had played it better with Simoni yesterday I expect
    Simoni would have been in 2nd today. Cunego may be talented
    but he's still got a bit to learn about tactics. I believe
    Garzelli and Simoni made a gentlemans agreement to work
    together to put time into those ahead of them on GC and let
    the best man win the stage. Assuming Cunego didn't suddenly
    crack on the last couple climbs it was a good deal. If
    Cunego did crack then Simoni would be much more motivated to
    go faster to surpass Gonchar.

    Certainly has been an animated Giro. :)

  3. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John Tezel wrote:
    > > From cyclingnews.com live coverage today:
    > [knip]
    > > --
    > >
    > > And today he seems to be abandoning his team to work
    > > with Garzelli up front, going all out to win it. When
    > > all he had to do was just congratulate Cunego after
    > > stage 17, and take it easy over the mountains in stages
    > > 18 and 19 in preparation for the tdf.
    > >
    > > No more online coverage for me... I'm catching this one
    > > on TV this afternoon!
    >
    > Simoni was going for 2nd on GC and it almost worked. If
    > Cunego had played it better with Simoni yesterday I expect
    > Simoni would have been in 2nd today. Cunego may be
    > talented but he's still got a bit to learn about tactics.
    > I believe Garzelli and Simoni made a gentlemans agreement
    > to work together to put time into those ahead of them on
    > GC and let the best man win the stage.

    Probably, but Simoni should have asked Garzelli to work with
    him all the way to the line in exchange for not contesting
    the sprint: Garzelli was always going to win it, short of
    Simoni dropping him, and the two of them easing up a bit and
    playing sprint tactics in the last couple of kilometres will
    have taken a good deal more than the four seconds Simoni
    needed for second on GC.

    Cunego certainly didn't need to go grabbing bonus seconds
    yesterday, though: but possibly he didn't think 8 seconds
    would have changed anything and a stage win was better.

    Peter

  4. "John Tezel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > From cyclingnews.com live coverage today:
    >
    > But Cunego's success has been his team captain Gilberto
    > Simoni's downfall. Simoni hasn't really been at the same
    > level as last year, and although he made a bid for the
    > victory yesterday, he was caught by Dario Cioni, who
    > dragged Gonchar and Cunego up. Simoni was on Cunego's
    > wheel when he jumped for the stage win, and either didn't
    > or couldn't follow him when he went. After the stage
    > finished, Simoni turned around and rode down the mountain
    > to the team bus without talking to anyone, a with a sour,
    > angry look on his face.
    >
    > As Simoni passed by Cunego, who was surrounded by
    > journalists, Gibo pointed his finger at the 22 year old
    > Maglia Rosa and angrily said "You're a bastard...you are
    > really stupid."
    >
    > It seems that Simoni, who really wanted to win the stage
    > was peeved for two reasons. After the chase group caught
    > him on the ascent of Bormio, Cunego rode too hard of a
    > rhythm, which took whatever remaining "juice" out of
    > Simoni's legs there was.
    >
    > Then Simoni thought that Cunego didn't do a very good job
    > of leading him out, and then further humiliated the proud
    > mountain man by sprinting away for the stage win.

    Also could be that Gibo realized that he was going to miss
    out on a hefty bonus for winning the race, too.