Well-oiled cyclist led police car on merry chase (D. Telegraph)

Scott Leckey

Guest
Well-oiled cyclist led police car on merry chase
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 03/06/2004)

A tipsy builder who tried to outrun a police car on his bike has been fined
£100 for drunken cycling.

Ian Townsin, 39, reckoned he might have made good his escape had he not been
so unsteady after downing 10 pints that he kept falling off. As it was, he
led the police on a merry dance, swerving in front of them, going the wrong
way round a roundabout, weaving through traffic and cycling up the wrong
side of a dual carriageway.

Passing motorists had called an ambulance after seeing Townsin lying at the
side of the road in Eastbourne in February.

"I'd had about 10 pints," he said yesterday, after the case before
Eastbourne magistrates. "I was coming home and I felt a bit nauseated, so I
thought I would crash out somewhere. The ambulance turned up about an hour
later.

"When they woke me up and asked if I was all right, I was a bit startled so
I thought I'd better go home before the 'old Bill' turned up, which they
did."

The chase finally ended when Townsin fell off his bike.

"Scott Leckey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well-oiled cyclist led police car on merry chase
> By David Sapsted
> (Filed: 03/06/2004)
>
> A tipsy builder who tried to outrun a police car on his bike has been

fined
> £100 for drunken cycling.
>
> Ian Townsin, 39, reckoned he might have made good his escape had he not

been
> so unsteady after downing 10 pints that he kept falling off. As it was, he
> led the police on a merry dance, swerving in front of them, going the

wrong
> way round a roundabout, weaving through traffic and cycling up the wrong
> side of a dual carriageway.

Blimey. I've done 5 pints before and got home OK, but 10?

--
Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> Blimey. I've done 5 pints before and got home OK, but 10?

He didn't get home though.

> Blimey. I've done 5 pints before and got home OK, but 10?

We did 13 one night a few years ago - ride home was about 4 miles - 90% off
road, don't know quite how we got home but I don't think there was one of us
who fell off less than 5 times. I distinctly remember lying on the ground
laughing my head off at one point.We never repeated it but 5 or 6 was common
place for a year or so after an evening ride.

I blame the publican putting on a karaoke and staying open until about
1:30am after our evening ride :)

Russ

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:41:18 +0100 someone who may be "Russ"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>We did 13 one night a few years ago

One more pint and your claim would equal William Hague's.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason wrote:
>"Scott Leckey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Well-oiled cyclist led police car on merry chase

[...]
>> Ian Townsin, 39, reckoned he might have made good his escape had he not

>been
>> so unsteady after downing 10 pints that he kept falling off.

> Blimey. I've done 5 pints before and got home OK, but 10?

A friend of mine once fell off three times before realizing he hadn't
unlocked his bike. He came back into the party to tell us how funny this
was, and I told him to put the bike in the back of my car and drove him
home (I hadn't been drinking).

Alan Braggins wrote:

> A friend of mine once fell off three times before realizing he hadn't
> unlocked his bike. He came back into the party to tell us how funny
> this was, and I told him to put the bike in the back of my car and
> drove him home (I hadn't been drinking).

A former flat-mate of mine did this with his motorcycle while stone-cold
sober...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Russ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:R1Mvc.10493$wI4.1262797
@wards.force9.net:

> We did 13 one night a few years ago - ride home was about 4 miles

A total light weight here, but after a very long knackering day had about 3
pints, went round to a friends for a video night then cycled home at three
or four in the morning (to start work at 8am). At one point (on Ravelston
Dykes in Edinburgh) I suddenly found myself on the other side of the road,
still rolling along. I can only guess that I fell asleep and woke up just
before I hit the other kerb :-\

Graeme

In message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
<[email protected]> writes

> Blimey. I've done 5 pints before and got home OK, but 10?

After losing count of the pints I've ridden home through the town -
familiar route, light traffic as it was late, but it's got roundabouts
and dual carriageways and slip lights and stuff - reached my garage, got
off the bike and fell over, because I was actually too drunk to stand up
without its support!

This proves cycling is easier than walking.

--
Sue ];:))

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:24:02 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alan Braggins wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine once fell off three times before realizing he hadn't
>> unlocked his bike. He came back into the party to tell us how funny
>> this was, and I told him to put the bike in the back of my car and
>> drove him home (I hadn't been drinking).

>A former flat-mate of mine did this with his motorcycle while stone-cold
>sober...

Why do you think motorbike disk-brake locks are fluorescent yellow ?
It's just the sort of stupid trick I'm sure I'd pull in the first
week.

Andy Dingley wrote:
> Why do you think motorbike disk-brake locks are fluorescent yellow ?
> It's just the sort of stupid trick I'm sure I'd pull in the first
> week.

I did, although not in the first week. The disk lock broke the speedo
cable before stopping the bike from going any further :-(

I *had* just left the pub, but I'd only been drinking lemonade.