Well, That Was Easy

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Terry Pulliam B, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.

    Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This would
    pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

    Tags:

  2. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >
    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)

    Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts with just a few swift
    strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

  3. Noname

    Noname Guest

    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >
    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >
    > "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    > bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner."
    > Anonymous.
    >
    > To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

    Didn't have to do that - I use Gravity 2.5 and added him to my killfile. Did I mention you can
    download Gravity 2.5 and higher for free? Microplanet just walked away from it. One of their former
    developers created SuperGravity but I haven't yet seen the need to upgrade.

  4. X-Archive:No

    X-Archive:No Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:17:24 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >
    >Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    >would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    <SNIP>

    A. Melon is an anonymous remailer. Send compaints with message headers to
    [email protected] See more information about them at
    http://www.melontraffickers.com/remailer.html

  5. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.

    OE's filtering made it easier still...

    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)

    Nah... Just not worth the effort.

    The Ranger

  6. Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >
    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)

    This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually unusable for a while.
    In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that the ISP was in Austria. Every single nonsense
    post in that case had a different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the culprit was
    the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".

    In this case, I was able to filter out all the posts in one fell stroke - and I'm on lowly OE ;-)

    Have seen similar (but smaller) attacks on rec.travel.europe and misc.consumers.frugal-living IIRC.

    --
    Best Greg

  7. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:17:24 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.

    Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but I am not that adept with it.

    Thanks

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally
    are still behind you

  8. Achrist787

    Achrist787 Guest

    >Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.<

    Nah, I just killfiled him and he went away like a good boy.

    Anne

    AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot

  9. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.

    Same with XNews.

    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)

    If I recall, he was posting via mail2news which is an anon remailer. These are very difficult to
    trace. However if someone is actually using your name via the remailer, they will block your name
    and no one will be able to use it. Unfortunately mail2's TOS policy is very loose.

    Michael

    --
    "The carp was dead, killed, assassinated, murdered in the first, second and third degree. Limp, I
    fell into a chair, with my hands still unwashed reached for a cigarette, lighted it, and waited for

  10. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    > worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >
    > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >
    > "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    > bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner."
    > Anonymous.
    >
    > To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

    I complained to Google yesterday, since that's how I read groups - complaints seem to have worked,
    more or less.

    N.

  11. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], noname at

    >> Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >> worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >>
    >> Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    >> would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >>
    >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >>
    >> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    >> bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner."
    >> Anonymous.
    >>
    >> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
    >>

    > Didn't have to do that - I use Gravity 2.5 and added him to my killfile. Did I mention you can
    > download Gravity 2.5 and higher for free? Microplanet just walked away from it. One of their
    > former developers created SuperGravity but I haven't yet seen the need to upgrade.

    Trouble is, once you delete all this garbage, there's nothing else to read...it's flooded the
    newsgroup.

    I can't help thinking it's the same asshole from this weekend.... certain things in the header are
    the same: Mail-To-News-Contact: [email protected] Organization: [email protected]

  12. noname wrote:

    >>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >>worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >>
    >>Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    >>would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >>
    >>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >>
    >>"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    >>bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner."
    >>Anonymous.
    >>
    >>To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
    >>

    > Didn't have to do that - I use Gravity 2.5 and added him to my killfile. Did I mention you can
    > download Gravity 2.5 and higher for free? Microplanet just walked away from it. One of their
    > former developers created SuperGravity but I haven't yet seen the need to upgrade.

    Can you all please ignore this idiot, so that he gets bored and stops his agenda?

    If you don't laugh at the clown, the clown will stop clowning.

    Rich

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  13. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected].uswest.net>,
    "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
    > > Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial
    > > Agent worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    > >
    > > Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    > > would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >
    > Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts with just a few swift
    > strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

    I'm using MT newswatcher and was able to do it too. ;-) Thanks for the reminder of filters! Cut them
    all out after a couple of tries...

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

  14. Meow

    Meow Guest

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Rodney Myrvaagnes of Global Network
    Services - Remote Access Mail & News Services said:

    >Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but I am not that adept with it.

    Press Ctrl k while you have a message in the thread, or by the person, which you want to KF
    highlighted; that should make a window show up where you can set the filter to just the name, the
    name + the address, the subject title or something else.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-
    bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "I've noticed that most dogs aren't very polite when it comes to sharing ice

  15. Gregory Morrow wrote:

    > This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually unusable for a while.
    > In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that the ISP was in Austria. Every single nonsense
    > post in that case had a different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the culprit
    > was the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".

    I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my messages by sender and marking them
    all read in one fell swoop. I re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested
    in. When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to read are gone, and I can sit
    back and enjoy. I have to do it each time I sit down to the computer, but it takes only seconds so I
    don't mind too much. It also means I have to memorize the names of the people I choose to killfile
    (yes, there are some regulars in this category), but I don't find that too difficult.

    I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find a killfile solution and
    move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10
    years and has, at one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing list I'm on.
    He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques including porn, anti-Semetic remarks,
    flooding, automatic doubling. Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
    group, a program? It would seem that if he's an individual there ought to be some law somewhere that
    could jail or silence him. (That's not a well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement, more
    of a sigh and lament.)

    --Lia

  16. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Gee! I just read them all >>>pant, pant, pant>>>> and then I notified the ISP but it is just
    a remailer.

    Pennyaline wrote:

    > "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote:
    >
    >>Whoever "A. Melon" is, his 200+ posts to the ng just made every penny I spent on commercial Agent
    >>worth it. A couple of keyboard moves and they all disappeared.
    >>
    >>Anyone around more able than I to figure out who his ISP is and who *he* is to complain? (This
    >>would pro'lly be about everyone, you ask me.)
    >

    > Nah, couldn't be bothered. I too eliminated every single one of his posts with just a few swift
    > strokes. Who says Outlook isn't good for anything?

  17. On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:08:55 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
    <[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
    this:

    >Terry, please say what the keystrokes are. I have the same program but I am not that adept with it.

    You have to have commercial Agent. Free Agent doesn't have killfilters. If you have commercial
    Agent, hit ctrl k on the offending post and tag the appropriate radio buttons.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  18. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform.

    Woohoo! Another one on the dark side :)

    I use Mozilla in Windows only because I'm a member of a private NNTP server and keep over 100,000
    messages locally. This causes problems for me when using Mozilla in Linux, but the Windows version
    has no problems.

    > I killfile by sorting my messages by sender and marking them all read in one fell swoop. I re-sort
    > by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested in.

    Yeah, but this doesn't ignore them so they don't come back. My only gripe about Mozilla is that I
    cannot ignore multiple threads at the same time. So I wind up filtering them instead in the case
    of A.Melon.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]

  19. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s02:

    > I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my messages by sender and marking
    > them all read in one fell swoop. I re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not
    > interested in. When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to

    I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many features that I enjoy, I don't
    even see this melon guys posts after the first time. There are many newsreaders out there some free
    some that cost as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill files in your
    price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and type a number, the number indicates
    the number of days to plonk (except 0 is forever), while one of his posts was highlighted.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  20. On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:03:19 GMT, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gregory Morrow wrote:
    >
    >> This happened on soc.history.what-if last year, rendering the group vitually unusable for a
    >> while. In that case, someone eventually ferreted out that the ISP was in Austria. Every single
    >> nonsense post in that case had a different address, so it was hard to filter the posts out...the
    >> culprit was the infamous shw-i troll "Matt Giwer".
    >
    >I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform. I killfile by sorting my messages by sender and marking them
    >all read in one fell swoop. I re-sort by thread and do the same to the threads I'm not interested
    >in. When I get back to the newsgroup, all the messages I don't care to read are gone, and I can sit
    >back and enjoy. I have to do it each time I sit down to the computer, but it takes only seconds so
    >I don't mind too much. It also means I have to memorize the names of the people I choose to
    >killfile (yes, there are some regulars in this category), but I don't find that too difficult.
    >

    >I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find a killfile solution and
    >move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10
    >years and has, at one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing list I'm
    >on. He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques including porn, anti-Semetic remarks,
    >flooding, automatic doubling. Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
    >group, a program? It would seem that if he's an individual there ought to be some law somewhere
    >that could jail or silence him. (That's not a well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement,
    >more of a sigh and lament.)

    About 6 years ago I was working as a system admin. for a Toronto, Ontario area ISP and had a run in
    with Matt Giwer. Mr. Giwer was furious, wanting us to terminate the account of one our clients, said
    client's "crime" was that he was critical of Matt Giwer's anti-semetic comments. Our view (one that
    I strongly agreed with then and now) was that so long as our client stayed within the letter of
    Canadian law we didn't care what they said on-line (never mind that I very largely agreed with our
    client's criticisms (a view I was too professional at the time to share with Mr. Giwer)).

    Now, I don't know what is up with Matt Giwer now, but at least back 6 years ago he was just one
    very real (if seemingly very troubled) person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer
    is one of those people that puts the UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from outside the
    United States...

    Colin McGregor