Well, That Was Easy

John Gaughan wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> I'm using Mozilla on a Linux platform.
>

> Woohoo! Another one on the dark side :)

Excuse me, sir. I do believe you have your dark sides mixed up. It's those other folks.

--Lia

hahabogus wrote:

> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many features that I enjoy, I
> don't even see this melon guys posts after the first time. There are many newsreaders out there
> some free some that cost as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill
> files in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and type a number, the
> number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0 is forever), while one of his posts was
> highlighted.

It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated. I don't know how to do
anything except turn it on, type and post, and learning to do that was a challenge. Every time I've
had to adjust to something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's pledge week.
I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews just so I can killfile. It wouldn't be worth
the aggravation.

--Lia

hahabogus wrote:

> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many features that I enjoy, I
> don't even see this melon guys posts after the first time. There are many newsreaders out there
> some free some that cost as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill
> files in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and type a number, the
> number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0 is forever), while one of his posts was
> highlighted.

Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want to see in any newsgroup?

Brian Rodenborn

Colin McGregor wrote:

> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of those people that puts the
> UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from outside the United States...
>
> Colin McGregor

How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.

nancy

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:23:24 GMT, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated. I don't know how to do
>anything except turn it on, type and post, and learning to do that was a challenge. Every time I've
>had to adjust to something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's pledge
>week. I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews just so I can killfile. It wouldn't be
>worth the aggravation.

Check out commercial Agent. It's idiot proof and has great killfilters.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

Default User <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> I use xnews...it is free and has a very nice plonk file. It has many features that I enjoy, I
>> don't even see this melon guys posts after the first time. There are many newsreaders out there
>> some free some that cost as shareware,so if you hunt around you can find one that allows kill
>> files in your price range. To kill this melon guy I had to hit the "k" key and type a number, the
>> number indicates the number of days to plonk (except 0 is forever), while one of his posts was
>> highlighted.
>

> Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want to see in any newsgroup?
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Yes

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Colin McGregor wrote:
>
>> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of those people that puts the
>> UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from outside the United States...
>>
>> Colin McGregor
>
> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>
> nancy

Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months, in or on property they
own down there.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>
> nancy

Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but ugly? ;-)

rona

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:23:24 GMT, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> arranged random
> neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >It sounds heavenly. The trouble is that I'm computer unsophisticated. I don't know how to do
> >anything except turn it on, type and post, and learning to do that was a challenge. Every time
> >I've had to adjust to something new, I've been in a bad mood for days, even worse than NPR's
> >pledge week. I'm not about to convince my boyfriend to get me xnews just so I can killfile. It
> >wouldn't be worth the aggravation.
> >
> Check out commercial Agent. It's idiot proof and has great killfilters.
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
>
> Terry

Or MT newswatcher:

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

OH so easy to use!

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Colin McGregor wrote:
> >
> >> person living in Florida, USA... In other words Mr. Giwer is one of those people that puts the
> >> UGLY in Ugly American for those of us from outside the United States...
> >>
> >> Colin McGregor
> >
> > How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months, in or on property they
> own down there.

I thought they all went to Wildwood, NJ.

And you, ha, put the sweetheart in Canadian.

nancy

In article <HSNTb.213507$xy6.1102224@attbi_s02>,
Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not normally this curious about usenet annoyances preferring to find a killfile solution and
>move on, but the name "Matt Giwer" caught my attention. It seems he's been around for at least 10
>years and has, at one time or another, bothered every group including a private mailing list I'm
>on. He (it?) uses an amazing array of bothering techniques including ****, anti-Semetic remarks,
>flooding, automatic doubling. Does anyone know who or what it is? Is he a troubled individual, a
>group, a program?

Giwer seems to be an individual, and was at one time somewhat more balanced. He's always been
troubled to some extent, though.

I remember once he started posting to alt.books.tom-clancy, claiming that he gave Clancy the idea
for _Hunt for Red October_. Little did he know that Clancy himself was at that time posting to that
newsgroup -- he showed up within a few days and spanked Giwer quite thoroughly.

> It would seem that if he's an individual there ought to be some law somewhere that could jail or
> silence him. (That's not a well-thought out comment on law and law enforcement, more of a sigh and
> lament.)

Two words: J*rry H*we.

ObFood: I currently have a houseguest who cannot eat chocolate. Any thoughts on how Barb's brownies
would taste made with white chocolate or some other such variation?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

In article <[email protected]>,
hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:
>Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>
>Every year many ugly Canadians drive down to live in florida for 6 months, in or on property they
>own down there.

Some of them go on to Costa Rica, too.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't mince words -- it gets right to it." -Bonnie Raitt

hahabogus wrote:

> Default User <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> > Does it have global killfiles? As in people or keywords I don't want to see in any newsgroup?

> Yes

Good, thanks. I'll look into it. I've been coasting on inertia with Netscape, but I really do need
to get a real newsreader set up. I still miss my old trn on UNIX.

Brian Rodenborn

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>>
>> nancy
>
> Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but ugly? ;-)
>
> rona

Hey I'm a Canadian and I am OverWieght...but every one I meet remembers me for years and years....

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:28:42 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> How unfair is that? You just put the ugly in Canadian.
>>
>> nancy
>
>Hey! Canadians aren't ugly!! Non-descript, yes...overweight, yes...but ugly? ;-)
>
>rona

and polite. don't forget polite.

your pal, blake