well that was scary: LBS didn't tighten lock ring on my new fixed gear

> Epson the printer company did a study a few years ago. They found that
> satisfied customers will tell 2 others about their positive experiences
> whereas a dissatisfied customer will tell an average of 17 others!

So it makes more sense to find a way to sabotage your competitor than to do
a good job yourself. Hmm. Never really thought of it that way, but perhaps
it points to why negative advertising continues to be the norm for politics.
People focus more on the bad than the good. Rather sad, if you think about
it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Epson the printer company did a study a few years ago. They found that
> > satisfied customers will tell 2 others about their positive experiences
> > whereas a dissatisfied customer will tell an average of 17 others!

> So it makes more sense to find a way to sabotage your competitor than to do
> a good job yourself. Hmm. Never really thought of it that way, but perhaps
> it points to why negative advertising continues to be the norm for politics.
> People focus more on the bad than the good. Rather sad, if you think about
> it.

Do notice that I didn't mention the shop by name. Not that anybody
reads Usenet. LOL

They did drop the ball on this one pretty much every way possible, I've
seen better builds come out of Target. I want to assume it was a fluke,
as they're super nice. The cynic thinks otherwise, as they've known me
for years and I'm hard to make money from as I never have my bike
serviced, just buy tubes and bearings. Still, I'm quite capable of
recommended a place to others and often do. They've made thousands from
me indirectly, I'm sure. My recommendation will now be a shop that's
still in their 3 shop empire, but the one serving the twangy suburbs
out by the lake. They have a staff that's easily 15 years older on
average as well. Not that a kid can't do great work, but experience
matters when you're wrenching and dealing with the public.

> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Yeah, I should make the pilgrimage. Shame it's 10 miles out, as the
> >> real three LBS's are either lame, or really nice, but with poor
> >> inventory. I'm fully aware that a lockring is belt and suspenders, and
> >> a place where I don't mind such thinking. If I'd found just the
> >> lockring loose, but the cog chain whipped into submission, it wouldn't
> >> have been as appalling. It's funny, I was starting from the house on a
> >> mess of slippery leaves, so what I thought was wheel slip on the

> > leaves
> >> when pedaling, was the dang cog starting to tighten up.
> >>
> >> I figure I also got to complain that the bike came with tires so

> > crappy
> >> they only sell them in Krakow for $5 (no exaggeration) and a few

> > select
> >> chinese cities. Spec was good urban puncture resistant IRC Tandems.
> >> Great tire for a single rider looking for durability as well. When you
> >> order a bike w/o there being a showroom model, you sort of expect the
> >> specsheet to be followed.
> >>
> >> I figure the lockring will give me leverage to get the proper tires. I
> >> don't really care if the shop loses money on this one, and usually I'd
> >> be sympathetic.
> >>

> > Most people rarely complain about poor service or product quality, they
> > just shop elsewhere. A business should be made aware that there is a
> > problem and given the opportunity to rectify it. If they don't care then
> > the next step is to start badmouthing them.
> >
> > Epson the printer company did a study a few years ago. They found that
> > satisfied customers will tell 2 others about their positive experiences
> > whereas a dissatisfied customer will tell an average of 17 others!
> >
> > The point being, consumers need to stop being passive and speak up if we
> > want better service or quality products.
> >
> > A note on tires, there used to be a manufacturer of cheap replacement
> > tires for kid's bikes out of Korea or Taiwan called Dy Yung Tire Co.
> >
> > Chas.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So it makes more sense to find a way to sabotage your competitor than to do
> a good job yourself. Hmm. Never really thought of it that way, but perhaps
> it points to why negative advertising continues to be the norm for politics.
> People focus more on the bad than the good. Rather sad, if you think about
> it.

Title of the lead article in the newspaper today is
`Desperate campaigns tesort to attack ads.' All of the
examples on the front page are from _one_ party.

--
Michael Press