Well that's a different reaction!

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Guest
I took Mr N Frosty out for a pootle over the lunchtime. A couple were out
walking their collie which was unleashed. I approached with caution. Thankfully
said collie was very well behaved, staying sat on the verge as told to by its
owner, but with a distinct look of "WTF??" on its canine face. Later in the
route is a lane on which is often found an old dog, some sort of terrier, which
lies smack bang in the middle of the tarmac. When approaching on my normal bike
or in a car, the dog gets up and strolls to the verge, waits until you've
passed & then resumes its spot in the middle of the tarmac. Go figure, but it's
old, it's still alive, so it must have success in avoiding being run over.
Today was the first time it was there when I've been on the 'bent. It spotted
me - it sat up, it wagged its tail, it wagged its tail so hard it went into a
full body wagging session, and it ran towards me. So I stopped, wondering what
was coming next; friend or foe. It got to me, wagged like mad, licked my hand,
barked *happily* and promptly rolled over for a tummy scratch. It does not do
this when I'm on my upright!

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

[email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

> Later in the
> route is a lane on which is often found an old dog, some sort of terrier, which
> lies smack bang in the middle of the tarmac. When approaching on my normal bike
> or in a car, the dog gets up and strolls to the verge, waits until you've
> passed & then resumes its spot in the middle of the tarmac. Go figure, but it's
> old, it's still alive, so it must have success in avoiding being run over.
> Today was the first time it was there when I've been on the 'bent. It spotted
> me - it sat up, it wagged its tail, it wagged its tail so hard it went into a
> full body wagging session, and it ran towards me. So I stopped, wondering what
> was coming next; friend or foe. It got to me, wagged like mad, licked my hand,
> barked *happily* and promptly rolled over for a tummy scratch. It does not do
> this when I'm on my upright!

I think a lot of dogs are annoyed and intimidated by
the height of humans looming over them. And sometimes
because of our height they figure we need to be taken
down a peg. I've found dogs generally appreciate any
attempt on my part to shorten myself closer down to
their physical level, and they take it as an "I come
in peace; wanna play?" friendly gesture. I sincerely
believe canines appreciate getting a modicum of respect,
instead of being treated like dumb ol' dawgs to be
either talked-to in baby talk and petted without their
permission, or contemptuously kicked around. They also
appreciate being listened-to and taken seriously when
relating some notable incident in their lives to us.
Maybe your terrier was thinking: "At last! An human to
whom I can relate!" Terriers can be such grammar pedants.

Maybe recumbent riders don't get hassled by dogs as
much as upright riders.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote -

> When approaching on my normal bike
> or in a car, the dog gets up and strolls to the verge, waits until you've
> passed & then resumes its spot in the middle of the tarmac. Go figure, but

it's
> old, it's still alive, so it must have success in avoiding being run over.

when we moved into our street 20 something years ago there were 2 or 3 dogs
that regularly slept on the road, esp in winter, maybe for the warmth the
bitumen stored - it was a quiet street and folks just drove around them.

sadly the advent of the SUV and increased population density means that no
longer happens - progress huh?

best, Andrew