Well that's it, the our musical culture has hit a new low...

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by TrekDedicated, Aug 2, 2004.

1. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Tags:

2. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Payola. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Does any one believe radio stations don't get preferential treatment from producers to play pop music? This was a scam in the 1950's but I have a feeling its going on today in a bit different manner.

Write a catchy tune using trite lyrics, some 3 chord wonder on strings and tons of synth with electronic drums. Mix. Then promote the fool out of it. Voila, pop music which sells airtime for the 20-something crowd but isn't good enough for actual purchase (at least in a year's time after the fad dies). Record sales (excuse me, CD sales) fall and the promoters blame MP3 file sharing.

Trek, hit the used record shops and ask around for good music. There was plenty of talent in the recording industry 20 years ago.

Better yet, seek out the smaller venues for unsigned talent. Seek and ye shall find.

3. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Yup, I have 311 and jazz. Stan getz, Joe henderson, Sonny Rollins, etc. Jazz is where it's at

4. RedSky

RedSky New Member

Ashlee Simpson, as bad as she is, is hardly a new low. She may be a recent trough but I think Vanilla Ice was far worse. Color Me Badd? Worse yet.

However, the lack of diversity on the radio is depressing. The country songs are starting to sound just like the pop sounds, and the "punk" rock like Avril Lavigne is indistinguishable from the easy listening crap. It's all one big syrupy ball of tuneless crap.

5. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Just because you don´t like it don´t make it crap ; I don´t like it myself so I don´t buy it . I don´t like opera , so what ??
    Listen to what YOU enjoy but don´t try to force it down MY throat .
    ps I do think that those cars with mega watt stereos should be stopped from ruining my sleep ( 2-3-4-5 am ) but that´s just me .