Well, this sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric S. Sande

Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.

Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.

Not.

This is some serious winter action, I mean it is cold enough to freeze the tits off of a
brass witch.

I'm working my way up 15th Street and my freaking water bottle is a block of ice, no kidding. It's
so cold that my tires make a little scraping sound as they hit the salt crystals.

I'm not a timid rider but I've had it with this winter, I'm not bailing out but I am complaining to
management.

And this El Nino thing can kiss my ass, I'd like to say that if I had any control over it I'd shut
it down pronto.

However this has been an excellent riding winter so far, I am well and I hope you are also.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Eric,

Eric S. Sande wrote:
> Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
>
> Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
>
> Not.
>
> This is some serious winter action, I mean it is cold enough to freeze the tits off of a
> brass witch.
>
> I'm working my way up 15th Street and my freaking water bottle is a block of ice, no kidding. It's
> so cold that my tires make a little scraping sound as they hit the salt crystals.
>
> I'm not a timid rider but I've had it with this winter, I'm not bailing out but I am complaining
> to management.

Hazard pay is not unreasonable.

>
> And this El Nino thing can kiss my ass, I'd like to say that if I had any control over it I'd shut
> it down pronto.

So would we in Colorado! But of course, we would spin it up!!

>
> However this has been an excellent riding winter so far, I am well and I hope you are also.
>
So the sick greedy part of me is totally aligned with you but the "plan for the future part of me
leave me worreid that our elected leaders still have NO clue and that the US moves by ebb and flows
rather than intelligent design.

Terry

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
>
>Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
>
>Not.

Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively. So
stop yer belly-achin'! ;)

I rode 22 miles yesterday in Wisconsin. 14deg 10mph wind. Yes, my water bottle was a block of
ice.... So were my toes.

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Not.
>
> This is some serious winter action, I mean it is cold enough to freeze the tits off of a
> brass witch.
>
> I'm working my way up 15th Street and my freaking water bottle is a block of ice, no kidding. It's
> so cold that my tires make a little scraping sound as they hit the salt crystals.
>
> I'm not a timid rider but I've had it with this winter, I'm not bailing out but I am complaining
> to management.
>
> And this El Nino thing can kiss my ass, I'd like to say that if I had any control over it I'd shut
> it down pronto.
>
> However this has been an excellent riding winter so far, I am well and I hope you are also.
>
> --
>
> _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
> the Texas Elvis"------------------
> __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (sec) writes:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
>>
>>Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
>>
>>Not.
>
>
> Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively. So
> stop yer belly-achin'! ;)

I guess it's sneakin' up on maple syrup time at your end of the continent. I'm looking forward to
cherry blossom blizzards. Cactus league baseball will be starting up in no time. The days are
finally getting noticably longer -- or, at least, sun-up is getting noticably earlier. We're not
into the dog days yet (nor even the windy days of March), but at least time is moving in the right
direction. All the usual harbingers of Spring are lurking just around the corner.

Actually, I've been hoping for a nice, stormy day to fix up a batch of clam chowder. The worse the
weather, the better for cooking some certain things. Speaking of which ... happy Robert Burns Day,
everybody!

cheers & eternal optimism, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD

remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

"sec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
> >
> >Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
> >
> >Not.
>
> Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively. So
> stop yer belly-achin'! ;)
The outer banks of North Carolina saw some really cold weather this week and it just looked all
wrong. This is one of those places that brings to mind warm sunny beaches. Not howling wind and
swirling snow.

It seems like a heat wave here compared to Thursday morning(-23C) and it is still only -1C. At least
warm weather isn't too many months away.

These comments remind me why I never want to go back to Iowa. Well, I'm off for a nice spin down
through the Sacramento River delta today. Will I need arm warmers with my short sleeve jersey? Maybe
for a while, but don't want to over-heat.

>
>
> Not.
>
> brass witch.
>
>
> to management.
>
> it down pronto.
>
>
> --
>
> _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,

>
>
> Not.
>
> brass witch.
>
>
> to management.
>
> it down pronto.
>
>

Stockholm Sweden. Now that I'd been getting used to this freezing stuff we seem to be having a
heatwave come through. Tomorrows clubride looks like it's gonna be in the above freezing
temperatures. How am I going to handle this. My waterbottle isn't going to freeze. I don't have to
use the Camelbak. My mittens will be too warm. I'm going to have to remove at least one layer of
clothes. My studs will be clanking against the asphalt. Yikes this is too early for spring. All I
know is if I change my tires it's going to snow again and if I don't it's gonna get warmer.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

=v= I figured out how to make it suck less: a balaclava. One of my friends from Chicago (

http://www.bikewinter.org/

) suggested "Gore WindStopper Fleece," which works. My insulated water bottle hasn't frozen up, but
it *is* icy.

> I'm working my way up 15th Street ...

=v= Which 15th Street is that? :^) <_Jym_> (On 39th Ave.)

Ha! If only. Yesterday was the hottest day I have ever lived through (I mean that literally).
44.1 degress celcius or 111.4 fahrenheit and what did I do? Rode a Century. Hooray for me, It was
only metric and I was knackered after but still.
--
Cheers Damian Harvey

Goths: If I looked like that I'd be depressed too.

In article <[email protected]>, "David Storm"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> These comments remind me why I never want to go back to Iowa. Well, I'm off for a nice spin down
> through the Sacramento River delta today. Will I need arm warmers with my short sleeve jersey?
> Maybe for a while, but don't want to over-heat.
>
>
>

Ahhh.... shaddap.

(Freezing in Montreal)

In article <[email protected]>, David Storm
<[email protected]> wrote:
>These comments remind me why I never want to go back to Iowa. Well, I'm off for a nice spin down
>through the Sacramento River delta today. Will I need arm warmers with my short sleeve jersey?
>Maybe for a while, but don't want to over-heat.

Well it's a nippy 74F in the shade on another sunny day in LA. Shorts and short-sleeves for me. The
funny thing is when I roll out there in a few minutes I will see plenty of people dressed head to
toe in fleece and tights. Brr it's winter!!

--Paul

Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm working my way up 15th Street ...
>
>=v= Which 15th Street is that? :^)

The one a block away from 14th street.

In article <[email protected]>, "Mark Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "sec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
> > >
> > >Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
> > >
> > >Not.
> >
> > Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively.
> > So stop yer belly-achin'! ;)
> The outer banks of North Carolina saw some really cold weather this week and it just looked all
> wrong. This is one of those places that brings to mind warm sunny beaches. Not howling wind and
> swirling snow.
>
> It seems like a heat wave here compared to Thursday morning(-23C) and it is still only -1C. At
> least warm weather isn't too many months away.
>
>
>

Haven¹t you ever heard of???

SKI NAGS HEAD!

The news showed some ³surfers² skiing down Kill Devil Hills.

HAND Ride Safe

--
³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

- Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Haven¹t you ever heard of???
>
> SKI NAGS HEAD!
>
> The news showed some ³surfers² skiing down Kill Devil Hills.
I didn't see that. Just sounds kind of odd hearing about it. I have thought that it would be nice to
move from Kansas City to North Carolina to get closer to the ocean and warmer weather. Just got that
idea shot full of holes. Florida is even looking kind of cold these past few days.

Well, not all we Californians wussy warm weather riders. The Fresno Bike Club occasionally takes a
little winter spin up to top of Kaiser Pass for a some cold and ice training. Anyone out there from
FCB to describe a recent one?

"David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> These comments remind me why I never want to go back to Iowa. Well, I'm off for a nice spin down
> through the Sacramento River delta today. Will I need arm warmers with my short sleeve jersey?
> Maybe for a while, but don't want to over-heat.
>
>
> "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
> >
> > Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
> >
> > Not.
> >
> > This is some serious winter action, I mean it is cold enough to freeze the tits off of a brass
> > witch.
> >
> > I'm working my way up 15th Street and my freaking water bottle is a block of ice, no kidding.
> > It's so cold that my tires make a little scraping sound as they hit the salt crystals.
> >
> > I'm not a timid rider but I've had it with this winter, I'm not bailing out but I am complaining
> > to management.
> >
> > And this El Nino thing can kiss my ass, I'd like to say that if I had any control over it I'd
> > shut it down pronto.
> >
> > However this has been an excellent riding winter so far, I am well and I hope you are also.
> >
> > --
> >
> > _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy
> > Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
> > __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

I know what you mean. This crazy weather has been rough. Here in Santa Cruz we've had a week at a
time between one or two day rain storms instead of the other way around. I'm getting in so many
miles that I'm in as good of shape as I ever am in the middle of summer and am starting to get
exhausted. It's just so beautiful out I am having a really hard time taking an easy rest day.
Yesterday I tried really hard to go for an easy hour maybe 15 miles, by the time I got home I had 36
miles and 2 1/2 hours. Tried the same today, and got the exact same results. Tomorrows plan try to
keep it at or under 4 hours.

>
>
> Not.
>
> brass witch.
>
>
> to management.
>
> it down pronto.
>
>
> --
>

In article <[email protected]>, sec <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
>>
>>Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
>>
>>Not.
>
>
>Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively. So
>stop yer belly-achin'! ;)

Its not the cold, it's the humidity.

It's also what you're used to, not the absolute numbers. Many of us regularly see -20C or -30C, and
we are used to dealing with it. We complain when it's colder than normal. People used to warmer
climates also complain when it's colder than normal.

--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Pete
Hickey) writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, sec <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:44:40 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Winds howling across the tundra, man I thought I was in the South.
>>>
>>>Gentle breezes and magnolias in bloom, that's what I signed up for.
>>>
>>>Not.
>>
>>
>>Shaddup! :) It is currently -20C (-35C with wind chill) here. That's -4F and -13F respectively. So
>>stop yer belly-achin'! ;)
>
>
> Its not the cold, it's the humidity.

Exactly!

"But it's a _wet_ cold!"

cheers, Tom

--