Well... Walmart?

As a bike assembler at wall mart and kmart i take offense at these remarks..

ambition said:
Support your local bike shop. Walmart bikes are not professionally assembled. Ive seen them with backward forks, useless brakes, loose stems.....

ambition said:
Support your local bike shop. Walmart bikes are not professionally assembled. Ive seen them with backward forks, useless brakes, loose stems.....
thats a load of commie horse****

I was considering a wal-mart bike to start with. Now, though, I'm convinced it a hybrid bike I want to start with.

lmao @ the singular disgust over Walmart & the bikes they sell. Not necessarily mutually exclusive.

So I went to walmart yesterday just to look back at the bikes they had in stock, dang such terrible bikes. They offered many types like free style bikes, mountain bikes, kiddie bikes, but no road bikes which was typical LOL. The cheapest one there was only 30 bucks and it was mostly made out of plastic. I find that funny in some sense...

For some people a couple hundred extra bucks would mean not eating for a couple of weeks. Just a few years ago I was lucky to be able to find a used bike in a pawn shop for $25. I had a sleeping room, with an old refrigerator, shower across the hall. a part time job that covered the room and sometimes $20 a week and hand outs from a food bank to eat on. I was lucky to have a $25 used bike with a basket so I didn't have to walk 6 blocks to the grocery store. A few years ago (better financial circumstances) I found a used Raleigh Mountain Sport for $165. I added a basket and rear rack, as well as lights.

ambition said:
So, buy it unassembled and assemble it yourself. Walmart, Kmart, Western auto, Do it yourself. It's not all that hard.My father always bought them that way for us when we were growing up. Of course, he was an engineer.

When you're young, a Walmart bike is the best thing in the world, and it's undoubtedly the best deal. The same can't be said for a teenager or adult buying a bike. These are cheap, run of the mill bikes that aren't that sturdy and lack performance across the board. For that reason, I wouldn't buy a bike from Walmart, even for the most casual of uses. I'd rather spend a little bit more money on something that'll still be rideworthy in two years.

I thought about getting a Walmart bike.

But since I am 275 lbs (down from 295 a coyote of months ago) I figured one failed weld or broken bolt would cost me a lot more at the ER than my trek fx cost.

I agree with going to your local Bike Shop. Small businesses like that are 99% of the time very helpful, and will give you excellent customer service. You might end up paying a little bit more, but in the long run it evens out because if something happens, you go right back to the person who sold it to you, and usually they help you out as much as they can.
However, if you just want to save money, and dont care about the bikes future, there's always walmart. About 10 years ago, my friend actually bought a $50 bike from there, and installed a 5HP go kart motor on it. It was funny to see him going down the road at around 55mph with the pedals spinning like crazy. People would stop him and take pictures, and offer to buy it. I dont know why he didn't make them and sell them.

Ew. Not walmart. We have to support the bike shops in our neighborhoods - not walmart nor online bike websites. They are putting the quality bike shops out of business.

I would not recommend buying a bike from Walmart. This especially goes if you are planning to do a lot of riding. They are often heavier than most bikes that you can pick up at a bike shop, and I've heard that they use lesser quality parts. For that reason, I would go to a good old bike shop to find what you need. They probably have a larger selection and more helpful staff anyways. They also might be able to recommend you a bike based on build and use whereas I'm sure that Walmart employees will only have a basic understanding.
In any case, you should look over bikes from both Walmart and your local bike shop to see which place provides you with better suggestions and prices before you choose which bike to buy.

If your goal is to see how much you can get for little cash outlay, check out the Police auctions or Craigslist for "collectives" that sell bikes for a reasonable price.

I think that you have to be careful when buying a bike from a big box store, but if it suits your needs or you're able to upgrade it to your liking then go for it! There is nothing wrong with making a plain old bike into something that is special to you, even if it does come from a store that typically doesn't have the best quality bikes. Sometimes you're able to make upgrading into a fun project!

Man.. Don't buy your bike from walmart. You really don't want a bike that will fall apart in a few weeks. When buying something big like a bike it's better to pay a bit more. Remember, quality over quantity!

Jennifer Abernathy said:
I think that you have to be careful when buying a bike from a big box store, but if it suits your needs or you're able to upgrade it to your liking then go for it! There is nothing wrong with making a plain old bike into something that is special to you, even if it does come from a store that typically doesn't have the best quality bikes. Sometimes you're able to make upgrading into a fun project!
+1 ...

ambition said:
I share this perspective too, I mean, the guy that assembles the bikes at Walmart is the same guy who is putting milk on the shelves, I mean, he does it all. So don't be surprised that after a few days your bike isn't exactly as good as if oyu bought it in a specialty store.

I've heard nothing bad bad things about department store bikes. I'd rather shop craigslist and get a used bike tuned up than pick up a new bike that's just not made very well. I guess there is a place for them though if you really can't spare the money, or are not sure if you will use it much.