Welsh Sports Minister to join club run today

David Martin

Guest
According to the BBC, the Welsh Sports minister, Alan Pugh, will be
joining the Rhyll CC club run today. He is apparently a keen cyclist
and represents an adjacent constituency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4612884.stm

BBC are asking for pictures of peoples tributes. See link above.
...d

Alan Holmes wrote:

> No one should be allowed to drive a vehice on the road until they have spent
> at least two years, every day, on a bicycle.

The effectiveness of such training being visible in every London Cab driver.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Alan Holmes wrote:
> >
> > No one should be allowed to drive a vehice on the road until they have spent
> > at least two years, every day, on a bicycle.
> >

> The effectiveness of such training being visible in every London Cab driver.

You'd be surprised. A lot of them are pretty good drivers, but as with
all drivers we tend to notice only the bad eggs.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> writes:

> You'd be surprised. A lot of them are pretty good drivers, but as with
> all drivers we tend to notice only the bad eggs.

Right. It's the unrepresentative majority who spoil it for the rest

-dan

Sounds familar. The same goes for us. The drivers (and press) only tend
to notice the bad cyclists.

TR

LSMike wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>> No one should be allowed to drive a vehice on the road until they have spent
>>> at least two years, every day, on a bicycle.
>>>

>> The effectiveness of such training being visible in every London Cab driver.
>>

> You'd be surprised. A lot of them are pretty good drivers, but as with
> all drivers we tend to notice only the bad eggs.

They are but the same is true of motorists in general. But AFAICS
spending a lot of time on a moped running the gauntlet of London traffic
while doing The Knowledge does not lead to any greater consideration of
cyclists than the general motorist population.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> They are but the same is true of motorists in general. But AFAICS
> spending a lot of time on a moped running the gauntlet of London traffic
> while doing The Knowledge does not lead to any greater consideration of
> cyclists than the general motorist population.

I would disagree. Taxi drivers are generally extremely skilled. They
have good perception, and an acute awareness of what their vehicle can
and can't do [1] with respect to traffic. And they exploit this to the
full knowing that they can intimidate and bully very effectively. The
thing to remember is that if they do knock you off they will be losing
lots of money from fares, and they also cannnot ply for trade with a
damaged vehicle. So they are careful to not hit cyclists or other
motorists. But they do rely on bluffing the others into submission.

...d

[1] Laws of physics rather than Laws of the road

David Martin wrote:
> But they do rely on bluffing the others into submission.

Next time I'm in London traffic I will rest easy in the knowledge that
taxi drivers are bluffing and others really mean it when both are trying
to intimidate me off the road. I'll especially remember when a taxi
passes with inches to spare that he's very skilled and bluffing.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

David Martin wrote:
> ... Taxi drivers are generally extremely skilled. They
> have good perception, and an acute awareness of what their vehicle can
> and can't do [1] with respect to traffic. And they exploit this to the
> full knowing that they can intimidate and bully very effectively. The
> thing to remember is that if they do knock you off they will be losing
> lots of money from fares, and they also cannnot ply for trade with a
> damaged vehicle. So they are careful to not hit cyclists or other
> motorists. But they do rely on bluffing the others into submission.

Agree with all this. I just wish they'd aim to miss you by *more*.
With taxis it's really important to have your safety margin on the
nearside, because they won't give you one on the offside when
overtaking. This is why 3.5 (3.1-3.6) metre wide bus lanes are a bad idea.

Colin McKenzie

Alan Holmes wrote:

> No one should be allowed to drive a vehice on the road until they have spent
> at least two years, every day, on a bicycle.
>
> Alan

Well that'll keep most disabled (truely disabled0 drivers off the roads
then..