Went Back To Steel

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Besides the injuries which you suffered, were more than the fork & front wheel destroyed on the bike?

A good frame builder can straighten-or-replace the frame's stays.

I'm pretty sure that CyclArt (Vista, CA) can do the repair if you can't find a "local" frame builder ...

• Heck, I think that CycleArt can even repair the fork if you have deep enough pockets ...
  • of course, a steel-or-CF replacement fork is another option.
alfeng,

I haven't done anything with the damaged Allez as of yet, but I know that at the very minimum, it will find its way in to regular rotation on my trainer. I have been watching for forks since my wreck and I haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Straightening the seat stays isn't as much of an issue as is the hidden danger that might be lurking beneath the paint. The concerns from a few frame guys I spoke with center on the potential for catastrophic failure with minimal stress/loads under normal riding conditions.

The visible damage to the bike:
  1. Fork destroyed
  2. Front and rear wheels destroyed
  3. Saddle rails twisted

Thanks for the suggestions regarding repair options...I had made some calls and forwarded photos to some frame "magicians" to seek estimates and guidance. I am budget-driven (who isn't?) and I decided to get a new bike and let my Allez "rest" as I decide upon a direction (and sock some coin away in the meantime).

it is unlikely that damage to the frame wouldn't mark the painting in the faulty area, dissassemble all components and then clean the frame thoroughly, then look for minimal scratches on the painting to spot possible fractures, long time ago i destroyed a steel fork and the frame was not hurt, i replace the fork and that was it, i suspect that it is engineered like that, to contain a total bike destruction,

Originally Posted by vspa .

it is unlikely that damage to the frame wouldn't mark the painting in the faulty area,
dissassemble all components and then clean the frame thoroughly, then look for minimal scratches on the painting to spot possible fractures,
long time ago i destroyed a steel fork and the frame was not hurt, i replace the fork and that was it, i suspect that it is engineered like that, to contain a total bike destruction,
vspa,

I understand what you are saying...but the concerns are from impact directly to a specific point. The bike cartwheeled, bouncing on the wheel then saddle, then wheel, then saddle - several times.The impact on the saddle was so severe that the rails twisted...literally. The lateral impact load to the fork was considerable and you see what happened with the steel finally let go. The concern is at the seatstay/seat tube/top tube intersection and the integrity of the welds. Any torsional stress and fatigue from the impact at this joint would not necessarily be visible. The frame techs recommended having the frame x-rayed (not cheap) to see what might be lurking within the welds (not just beneath the clean, undamaged paint surfaces).

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

vspa,

I understand what you are saying...but the concerns are from impact directly to a specific point. The bike cartwheeled, bouncing on the wheel then saddle, then wheel, then saddle - several times.The impact on the saddle was so severe that the rails twisted...literally. The lateral impact load to the fork was considerable and you see what happened with the steel finally let go. The concern is at the seatstay/seat tube/top tube intersection and the integrity of the welds. Any torsional stress and fatigue from the impact at this joint would not necessarily be visible. The frame techs recommended having the frame x-rayed (not cheap) to see what might be lurking within the welds (not just beneath the clean, undamaged paint surfaces).
Oops...I meant to say that the concerns are NOT from impact directly to a specific point.

well ok, sometimes you need to let equipment go, the bike served you since 85', thats a good run, again, dissassemble everything and use it into a new frameset or keep them as spare parts, then put the frame out in your garage for a well deserved decommission, thats what i do at least.

well ok, sometimes you need to let equipment go, the bike served you since 85', thats a good run,
again, dissassemble everything and use it into a new frameset or keep them as spare parts, then put the frame out in your garage for a well deserved decommission, thats what i do at least.
No doubt about the service life. However, I think that she'll do well on a trainer with a new fork and saddle. The stresses of trainer riding aren't nearly as severe as the road.

I admit that I don't do much work on my bikes (slight adjustments and cleanings) so when it comes to any significant changes, I seek input from those who are in the know. Considering my previous posts regarding my poor, wrecked Allez SE and the wasted fork, I am looking at fork options and I am wondering what the vintage steel head tube can accommodate as most used forks are modern aluminum or CF.

Also I wouldn't be doing the work for any sort of change out, but I prefer to hand the correct parts to a competent mechanic with instructions for what I am looking to have done. Considering that, what should I be dealing with?

Currently, I have a threaded headset with the original quill stem. If I went with a CF fork (nothing fancy, just what's out there), would I need to change everything within the head tube? With what I am seeing, the answer is most-likely, "Yes."

Thoughts?

old equipment uses a 1' fork as oppossed to a 1' 1/8
Yes...that was a given. The head tube is a decidedly smaller diameter (as is the stem) than that on my current Roubaix.

My thoughts were more along the lines of threaded - vs - non-threaded. I'd imagine that even if I stayed with a threaded stem, It'd be wise to get a new headset.