Went for my first ride of the season yesterday!

mark174ace

May 8, 2012
Yesterday was my first ride of the season since last fall. I took up road cycling last year and after spending all the $$$ on the bike, accesories, etc etc I didnt want to spend more money on proper shoes and pedals, so I just used the flat pedals for the season.

Well this winter I bought pedals and shoes and I cannot believe the difference. Needless to say I was not in full cycling shape yesterday and I have out on probably 12 pounds over the winter. I went on a 21 mile ride and the 10.5 on the way up was right into a decent wind. I couldn't believe my time was the same as last year when I was in better shape, a little lighter, and riding 4-5 days a week lol.

I am also proud to say I did not tip over on my bike trying to clip out of the pedals lol. I bought Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals and Giro Carbide shoes. The pedals seem nice and sturdy. I am glad I bought mtb pedals with a small platform. The shoes fit real nicely. I tried on three other pairs (1 pearl izumi & 2 shimanos) and did not like the way any of them fit, Even though they fit my feet, everytime I tried walking in them my heel kept slipping out of the shoe a little.

I have a lot more free time this year so I am looking forward to lots of riding this season and much longer rides as well!

Originally Posted by mark174ace .

I am also proud to say I did not tip over on my bike trying to clip out of the pedals lol.
Don't worry, there's still time /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Oh I am sure I will let my guard down eventually and fall victim to the embarassing tip over haha.For now though I am hyper sensitive to it and clipping out early in anticipation of stoppping. For that reason I am glad I bought pedals with a small platform so I do not have to be immediately clipped in order to be able to pedal.Three of four revolutions and my right foot (the default foot I clip out of) and it clips in on its own. If I bought the eggbeaters I can promise you I would have fallen over yesterday haha.

Originally Posted by mark174ace .

Oh I am sure I will let my guard down eventually and fall victim to the embarassing tip over haha.For now though I am hyper sensitive to it and clipping out early in anticipation of stoppping. For that reason I am glad I bought pedals with a small platform so I do not have to be immediately clipped in order to be able to pedal.Three of four revolutions and my right foot (the default foot I clip out of) and it clips in on its own. If I bought the eggbeaters I can promise you I would have fallen over yesterday haha.
That is probably the key. I still remember riding to Central Park with my new Shimano Dura Ace "aero" pedals in the 80's which had nylon, not leather straps. The intersection on 59th St. had some lovely lass crossing the street and my attention wandered. Next thing I'm laying on my side, still strapped in, surrounded by pedestrians. Nothing hurt but my pride. Unlike leather straps which had some give if one forced hard enough, the nylon straps didn't budge one millimeter. Clipless pedals have somewhat nullified that apsect of keeling over, but somehow folks still manage to do it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

When I used toe clips, I never tightened the straps. I left them so that they were just snug when I put my foot in, yet still loose enough that I could pull my foot out without having to reach down and release the straps.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

When I used toe clips, I never tightened the straps. I left them so that they were just snug when I put my foot in, yet still loose enough that I could pull my foot out without having to reach down and release the straps.
I rode like that a bit too. Then other times tight enough to cut off the circulation. I remember being strapped in tight for my first race. Probably too tight.