Wenting!!!

aeek wrote:
> Graeme Wrote:
>
>>"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in news:42956ef6$1
>>@news.bekkers.com.au:
>>

>>>I don't think Captain Kirk was Scottish. :)
>>>

>>Oops... He was about as Scottish as Scottie though, possibly more so :)

> Scotties traditionaly have shortish black hair, that would make McCoy
> the Scottie.

What do u think Sara? Is kirk a scottish name :)

In article <[email protected]>, dave
<[email protected]> wrote:

> aeek wrote:
> > Graeme Wrote:
> >
> >>"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in news:42956ef6$1
> >>@news.bekkers.com.au:

> >>Oops... He was about as Scottish as Scottie though, possibly more so :)

> > Scotties traditionaly have shortish black hair, that would make McCoy
> > the Scottie.
> >

> What do u think Sara? Is kirk a scottish name :)

It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

Sara Kirk said:

>It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
>Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
>it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
>Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

Chuch in Danish is actually 'Kirke'... anyway, Austrians are better looking.

In article <[email protected]>, LotteBum
<[email protected]> wrote:

Sara Kirk said:

>It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it
> could be
>Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots
> got
>it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going
>Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

Chuch in Danish is actually
> 'Kirke'... anyway, Austrians are better

looking.

--
LotteBum

My mistake! I was sure I'd seen it written without the 'e' but will
bow to superior knowledge.

As to who are better looking, I haven't been to Austria since I was
about 12 (a school skiing trip) and I don't remember the totty, but a
bunch of firemen wandered past the place we were working in Copenhagen
and I had to actually stop what I was doing and stare in awe :)
Cheered me up for the rest of that day it did.

--

Sara Kirk said:

>My mistake! I was sure I'd seen it written without the 'e' but will
>bow to superior knowledge.

Hey no need :)

>As to who are better looking, I haven't been to Austria since I was
>about 12 (a school skiing trip) and I don't remember the totty,

Hey I could be totally wrong. I had an Austrian friend at school and her entire family were really good looking. Could be a one-off?? Northern Euro men in general are quite good looking don't you think?

>but a bunch of firemen wandered past the place we were working in
>Copenhagen and I had to actually stop what I was doing and stare in awe

Did they have charcoal on their faces and were they walking around all hot and sweaty with no shirts on?

<[email protected]> wrote:

Sara Kirk said:

>My mistake! I was sure I'd seen it written without the 'e'
> but will
>bow to superior knowledge.

Hey no need :)

>As to who are better
> looking, I haven't been to Austria since I was
>about 12 (a school skiing
> trip) and I don't remember the totty,

Hey I could be totally wrong. I had
> an Austrian friend at school and

her entire family were really good looking.
> Could be a one-off??

Northern Euro men in general are quite good looking
> don't you think?

My tastes are usually more towards the southern europeans - dark hair,
big noses - for some reason most of the men that make my jaw drop are
that stylee. Think Gabriel Byrne. Sigh.

>but a bunch of firemen wandered past the place we were
> working in
>Copenhagen and I had to actually stop what I was doing and stare
> in

awe

Did they have charcoal on their faces and were they walking around
> all

hot and sweaty with no shirts on?

Heh! Sadly no.

--

Sara Kirk wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, dave
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>aeek wrote:

>>>Scotties traditionaly have shortish black hair, that would make McCoy
>>>the Scottie.
>>>

>>What do u think Sara? Is kirk a scottish name :)

> It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
> Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
> it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
> Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

Ahh well now we know.

:)

Sara Kirk <[email protected]> wrote in news:290520051753490168%
[email protected]:

> It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
> Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
> it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
> Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

This prompted a wee bit of Googling -

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=church
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kirk

So it looks as if kirk and church come from similar origins, but through
different routes.

Graeme

Graeme wrote:
> Sara Kirk <[email protected]> wrote in news:290520051753490168%
> [email protected]:
>

>>It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
>>Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
>>it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
>>Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

> This prompted a wee bit of Googling -
>
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=church
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kirk
>
> So it looks as if kirk and church come from similar origins, but through
> different routes.
>
> Graeme

Hmnmm

Sara Church? Na.. doesnt work

In article <[email protected]>, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Sara Kirk <[email protected]> wrote in news:290520051753490168%
> [email protected]:
>
> > It's Austrian, apparently. Although I'd have thought it could be
> > Danish, kirk = church in Danish, which is probably where the Scots got
> > it from. A lot of English came from the Danes, it was weird going to
> > Copenhagen seeing such similar place names.

> This prompted a wee bit of Googling -
>
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=church
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kirk
>
> So it looks as if kirk and church come from similar origins, but through
> different routes.

Some years ago I hunted around looking for the origin of the name,
rather than the word, which is where Austrian came from. I can't
remember the sites I checked but I do remember that at the end of the
exercise there was a very definite "Kirk, surname, comes from Austria"
or words to that effect.

--

On 25 May 2005 18:49:00 -0700, nebakke <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm completely starting from scratch again AND I'm on the wrong side of
> the road and still need to get around to swapping the break cables cos
> I keep nearly going head first over the steer braking with the wrong
> handle ;O)

Pardon my ignorance Nebakke, but this is bothering me - do bikes have
the front and rear brake levers on different sides in different parts of
the world? Is it a European/Australian thing, or a drive on the
right/left side of the road thing? Or is it just your bike that's odd,
or have I completely misunderstood what you're saying? :)

I tend to brake with both hands, but with more effort on the front
brake, since that's the more effective one.

--
John Pitts <[email protected]>
(Obviously, I've munged my e-mail address)

"Bother," said the Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh!"

John Pitts said:
On 25 May 2005 18:49:00 -0700, nebakke <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm completely starting from scratch again AND I'm on the wrong side of
> the road and still need to get around to swapping the break cables cos
> I keep nearly going head first over the steer braking with the wrong
> handle ;O)

Pardon my ignorance Nebakke, but this is bothering me - do bikes have
the front and rear brake levers on different sides in different parts of
the world? Is it a European/Australian thing, or a drive on the
right/left side of the road thing? Or is it just your bike that's odd,
or have I completely misunderstood what you're saying? :)

I tend to brake with both hands, but with more effort on the front
brake, since that's the more effective one.

--
John Pitts <[email protected]>
(Obviously, I've munged my e-mail address)

"Bother," said the Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh!"
Yepp, in Sweden, where I come from, we have the front brake on your left hand, opposite to your Motorbike which has it on the right hand. Not sure why. So, bought a bike here, and the bike shop built it up for me, they actually called me to ask wich side I wanted the front and rear brake on, do they always do that or was it just because they knew I was non Oz?

Back to the cars thing, well if the fekkers are parking in the cycle lane, ride in the middle of car lane. I do, and do leave space enough for car doors to swing open, because they fekking do all the time.

What can I do without getting arrested, to someone almost hitting me or opening a door in my face? Shouting f*cker to them does not relieve me. :)

Claes said:
What can I do without getting arrested, to someone almost hitting me or opening a door in my face? Shouting f*cker to them does not relieve me. :)
Tell them you also drive a truck so they would do well to look next time :D

ali

alison_b said:
Tell them you also drive a truck so they would do well to look next time :D

ali
I know what could work, get a hells angels cycling vest made, that should keep them at more than arm lenght distance. :)

alison_b wrote:

> Claes Wrote:
> >
> > What can I do without getting arrested, to someone almost hitting me or
> > opening a door in my face? Shouting f*cker to them does not relieve me.
> > :)

> Tell them you also drive a truck so they would do well to look next
> time :D
>
> ali
>
> --
> alison_b

I have considered making jerseys printed with witticisms such as "my
other vehicle is a prado" or "endangered species" or, for those really
nasty morning commutes, "good morning, fsck off"

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
alison_b wrote:

> Claes Wrote:
> >
> > What can I do without getting arrested, to someone almost hitting me or
> > opening a door in my face? Shouting f*cker to them does not relieve me.
> > :)

> Tell them you also drive a truck so they would do well to look next
> time :D
>
> ali
>
> --
> alison_b

I have considered making jerseys printed with witticisms such as "my
other vehicle is a prado" or "endangered species" or, for those really
nasty morning commutes, "good morning, fsck off"

Tam
Hmm, I thinking something I remember from childhood in sweden. Basically a plastic pin, with spring at the end. The pin is maybe 30 cm long, with an orange flag at the end. This we mounted on our left side of the bike, usually on the rack, chainstay would work to. This stands straight out to the side, and it had a metal end, good for scraping paint of cars, but the spring made sure it folded away if you hit something with it, it was bascially called a sting pin. I would seriously want one of them here, have never experienced so many shite car drivers anywhere else.

Claes said:
Hmm, I thinking something I remember from childhood in sweden. Basically a plastic pin, with spring at the end. The pin is maybe 30 cm long, with an orange flag at the end. This we mounted on our left side of the bike, usually on the rack, chainstay would work to. This stands straight out to the side, and it had a metal end, good for scraping paint of cars, but the spring made sure it folded away if you hit something with it, it was bascially called a sting pin. I would seriously want one of them here, have never experienced so many shite car drivers anywhere else.

I think you need two pins that would apply a voltage sufficent to fry the electronics of the car!

Claes said:
Hmm, I thinking something I remember from childhood in sweden. Basically a plastic pin, with spring at the end. The pin is maybe 30 cm long, with an orange flag at the end. This we mounted on our left side of the bike, usually on the rack, chainstay would work to. This stands straight out to the side, and it had a metal end, good for scraping paint of cars, but the spring made sure it folded away if you hit something with it, it was bascially called a sting pin. I would seriously want one of them here, have never experienced so many shite car drivers anywhere else.

Here is a URL to a stingpinne, or sting pin in English. :)
http://www.liikenneturva.fi/directory/publications/868/Py%C3%B6r%C3%A4ilyesite%20ruotsi.pdf Page 3 in that pdf has a cyclist with a contraption as I described. That would definitely increase the distance that cars keep to you.

John Pitts said:
the front and rear brake levers on different sides in different parts of
the world? Is it a European/Australian thing, or a drive on the
right/left side of the road thing? Or is it just your bike that's odd,

A drive right/left thing combined with international standards developed by non-cyclists.
So you can signal that you are turning across traffic & operate your rear brake, cos the front is too dangerous if you can't modulate it.
Result, I signal as I approach a blind intersection and stop that/prepare to front brake just before I get line of sight.