Were bikes always so aesthetically beautiful?

zzapper

Guest
Hi
It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

--
David Rayner
http://motivation-tips.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
zzapper
[email protected] says...
> Hi
> It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
> bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
> shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
> effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

Probably, because it's a large competitive market but everyone's
basically using pretty much the same components at any particular price
level.

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
> It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
> bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
> shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
> effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

Chacun a son goute ;-)

I prefer Bates, Curly Hetchings and Baines from fifties alonmg with Jack
Taylor and Holdsworth from the sixties and seventies.

On Oct 24, 8:00 am, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> Hi
> > It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
> > bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
> > shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
> > effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

> Chacun a son goute ;-)
>
> I prefer Bates, Curly Hetchings and Baines from fifties alonmg with Jack
> Taylor and Holdsworth from the sixties and seventies.

Are there bike museums or any special interest groups collecting
classic bikes?

--
David Rayner
http://motivation-tips.co.uk/

In news:[email protected],
bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> zzapper wrote:
>>
>> Are there bike museums or any special interest groups collecting
>> classic bikes?

> Confusingly, there are two.
>
> National Cycle Collection
>
> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
>
> ...and...
>
> British Cycling Museum
>
> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/

s/2/3 - Mark Hall Cycle Museum, Harlow. Well, sort of; the Harlow Museum
and the Mark Hall Cycle Museum combined in 2001 to form a new Museum of
Harlow.

--
Dave Larrington
Never give a gun to ducks.

On Oct 24, 11:49 am, zzapper <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 8:00 am, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...> Hi
> > > It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
> > > bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
> > > shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
> > > effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

> > Chacun a son goute ;-)

> > I prefer Bates, Curly Hetchings and Baines from fifties alonmg with Jack
> > Taylor and Holdsworth from the sixties and seventies.

> Are there bike museums or any special interest groups collecting
> classic bikes?

Quite a few motoring museums have a bike section too as most motor
companies started life making bicycles. For example, you'll see many
examples of Jaguar and Rover bicycles at the Coventry Motor Museum.

Duncan

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 24, 8:00 am, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...> Hi
>> > It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
>> > bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
>> > shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
>> > effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

>> Chacun a son goute ;-)
>>
>> I prefer Bates, Curly Hetchings and Baines from fifties alonmg with Jack
>> Taylor and Holdsworth from the sixties and seventies.

> Are there bike museums or any special interest groups collecting
> classic bikes?

There's a great cycle museum at Camelford in the old station building.

vernon wrote:
> "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi
>>It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
>>bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
>>shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
>>effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?
>>

> Chacun a son goute ;-)
>
> I prefer Bates, Curly Hetchings and Baines from fifties alonmg with Jack
> Taylor and Holdsworth from the sixties and seventies.

I think that you must have forgotten to mention Mercian.

By the way
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/
has great pictures of bikes from that period.
Roger Thorpe

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
> tell us:
>> zzapper wrote:
>>> Are there bike museums or any special interest groups collecting
>>> classic bikes?

>> Confusingly, there are two.
>>
>> National Cycle Collection
>>
>> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
>>
>> ...and...
>>
>> British Cycling Museum
>>
>> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/

> s/2/3

Perl, vi, or just long standing Unix hacker?

BugBear

> Quite a few motoring museums have a bike section too as most motor
> companies started life making bicycles. For example, you'll see many
> examples of Jaguar and Rover bicycles at the Coventry Motor Museum.
>
> Duncan

Technically that's "The Museum of British Road Transportation", and
bicycles have their own display area. It's not bad either, although
the Thrust SSC display probably trumps it.

Daren

In news:[email protected],
bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> In news:[email protected],
>> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> tweaked the
>> Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>>> Confusingly, there are two.
>>>
>>> National Cycle Collection
>>>
>>> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
>>>
>>> ...and...
>>>
>>> British Cycling Museum
>>>
>>> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/

>> s/2/3

> Perl, vi, or just long standing Unix hacker?

Line mode in EDT on VMS.

--
Dave Larrington
Jack Hackett for Pope, next time!

In article <[email protected]>, bugbear
bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim says...
> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > In news:[email protected],
> > bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
> > tell us:
> >> Confusingly, there are two.
> >>
> >> National Cycle Collection
> >>
> >> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
> >>
> >> ...and...
> >>
> >> British Cycling Museum
> >>
> >> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/

> > s/2/3

> Perl, vi, or just long standing Unix hacker?

They'd want another / at the end.

in message <[email protected]>, zzapper
('[email protected]') wrote:

> It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
> bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
> shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
> effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

Frankly, although I prefer /riding/ modern bikes, I think the bikes of
twenty years ago /looked/ better - a lot better. The pencil thin seat
stays, the gorgeous lugwork, the little detail brazeons; and the paint,
with deep gloss and careful, hand-painted lining.

I also have a personal fetish for drillium.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I also have a personal fetish for drillium.

The fetish thread is down there ....

\|/

Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Some people have one of those days. I have one of those lives.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, zzapper
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>It almost worries me that I get so much pleasure from looking at the
>>bikes in our local Marin and other makes showroom. It almost seems a
>>shame to actually use them on the road. Are they putting much more
>>effort into how bikes look than say 20 years ago?

> Frankly, although I prefer /riding/ modern bikes, I think the bikes of
> twenty years ago /looked/ better - a lot better. The pencil thin seat
> stays, the gorgeous lugwork, the little detail brazeons; and the paint,
> with deep gloss and careful, hand-painted lining.
>
> I also have a personal fetish for drillium.

Take care.

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/26/nsex126.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox>

JNugent wrote:

> Take care.