We're Giving Away $12,000 in Prizes - Enter the CyclingForums Review Contest

Born2bWild

Sep 13, 2010
We're Giving Away $12,000 in Prizes - Enter the CyclingForums Review Contest

As you may have noticed, CyclingForums.com has undergone an extensive overhaul in the past few months. We've recently added many new features including Cycling Product Reviews. Cycling Forums members now can review the gear they love and hate, share their opinions, and help out their fellow cyclists.

To celebrate, CyclingForums.com is proud to announce...​

The $12,000 Review Contest!
Need new gear but can't afford it? Here's your chance to win some of the best gear in the industry. Check out the Cycling Forums Product Review Contest. We are hooking up members with over $12,000 in prizes. Everything from Guru 54 Photon Carbon Frame set to the Bellwether Cold Weather Riding Package.

Between Nov. 15th and Dec. 31st, log in to cyclingforums.com and write reviews of your favorite gear. For every review you write, you'll have another chance to win one of thirteen great prizes. Winners will be randomly drawn from all entries on January 1st. Free stuff isn't a bad way to kick off the new year, is it?

Details:

• Review your gear for an entry into the contest; each review is an entry so the more reviews you write, the better your chance to win.
  • If you don't see a product you want to review, you can always add it.
  • Invite your friends to enter as well!
  • Winners will be randomly selected from all entries and notified via email after the contest.

Cycling Forums would like to thank our contest sponsors. They set us up with fantastic prizes just for Cycling Forums members. These brands went above and beyond to bring you the best! So what are you waiting for? Head over to CyclingForums.com and get your chance to win.

Contest Prizes
54" Photon Carbon Frame-set
Cold Weather Riding Apparel Package
Shimano 10 ceramic bottom bracket
Carbon Cockpit Package
Mitycross 400 Bike Light
Valcon Carbon Saddle and Black
CS200 Cycling Computer
Ultimate Security Package
Rogue Hydration Pack
PCS-9 Mechanic Bike Stand
Personal ID Set
Stay Dry Package
[SIZE= 11pt]WEEK’S WORTH OF SOCKS[/SIZE]

BTW... The Guru frame came in and is sitting by my desk. This thing is beautiful. Someone is going to to be super stoked to win this baby!

*UPDATE* This frame is AMAZING!! Had the chance to take it out of the box and the Photon is lighter than air.

Most of my gear is getting old. I am old also. Some things such as helments, gloves, jackets, shirts, and shoes do eventually break down and have
to be replaced. Myself was injured and broke up pretty good also, I walk with a limp and a shorter leg and cane, yet I still ride. Am now 56 years old.
My point is that some gear is very reliable and holds up very well and will for years. Some gear wears out way too fast. I have already sent in many
letters to be a gear tester and have never tested anything. I am still willing to test out full suspension bicycles, yet, not one tester has shown up.

Basically I ride alone and do carry too much stuff, it is heavey and verry cumbersome, on the ride. I dress old, have mostly older gear, yet I still get
there. My personal hobby has turned into one expensive adventure. I hope that something can be done to keep bicycling affordable. They used to
be very cheap and inexpensive. I am still willing to test out gear and bicycles, that are sent to me. Please don't send me anything that I cannot beat
up, use it very hard, or give it the torture test. I have more friends that are willing to test gear also. Please give us the chance to test one's gear and
then we can really write up a good pice on the product, both con and pro.

There is nothing wrong with "old" equipment as long it is correctly maintained I am 64 years old an currently ride and maintain 4 bicycles, a few may qualify as "old", depending on your definition.

The senior of these is a 1970 Masi Gran Criterium, followed by a 1985 Trek 950 Singletrack, Then we have the youngsters: A 1994 Giant Cadex ALM1 and a 2009 Schwinn Tourist (which is a Target branded version of Schwinn's 24 speed touring bikes by Pacific Cycle).

Other then impeccable maintenance, there is the need to secure and store replacement parts that will wear and my be hard to obtain in the future. Specifically alloy chain rings, Brake system components, and in the case of my oldest bike, gum rubber brake lever covers. Most parts that normally wear (like drive chains, control cables and brake pads) can be replaced with generic equivalents.

All I am saying is that whatever you are riding now can be raised from the dead by a complete overhaul and adjustment. If you maintain your equipment, it will wear but not get "old".

Oh yes, the repair and maintenance is not limited to your bike. With respect to the clothing, just toss that old **** and replace it. I don't buy a shirt and expect a useful life of 5 to 10 years, Bicycle clothing is no different.

I want to be a "Tester" as well. But I don;t want to test bikes or bicycle equipment. I am holding out for a chance to test the new Ferarri Enzo. I can understand that at $670,000, the available vehicles are in short supply, but I am still waiting for them to say yes. I call them frequently and ask them if a car is available yet, but all I can hear is some unintelligible yelling and the noise of their phone being slammed back into it's holder.

Regards, Daddo - South Daytona, FL

If you have old gear write some reviews and you might win the Bellwether Cold weather riding package valued at over $500.

Actually I have two in good condition original Fugies tall frame bicycles in good working order. These are old school. Then I rebuilt an older Schwinn single speed bicycle and painted it
gold. Then I have an older Itaialn road bicycle. An older Japanize bicycle. A newer police mountain bike and an Cyclocross brand new bicycle. Yet, most of the gear is older. I have hydration
packs and older tools and bike stands. I recently did add some updated bicycle clothing to my wordrobe, so there is a few newer items. I just want something to test, so I can really write up
a good review. Thanks for the feedback. I have a slew of older helments that I can write up on. Must be a half dozen or so. Anyway am new to these forums and just don't quite understand what
it is that they want us to write on ? I do read bicycle magizens and see where they say what is good about a product and what is not so hot with it. I am firm with my willing to test out gear or bicycles, preferably singletrack bicycles and take them on one good ride. Paul

This is a great idea. I use reviews all the time but have always been to lazy to post one. I am now posting reviews about everything I own that may help someone else.

VCRC bearing = free speed. They are a great product. I have the BB and pully's upgraded on my bike and it is just plain and simple SMOOTH.

RoadID = just easy and a perfect product. I wear mine on the bike, run, open water swim and even kayak. It is a peace of mind that my family will be notified if I have an issue.

Reactions: Born2bWild
[COLOR= #0000ff]Born2B...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I agree, I think the contest IS a good idea, and I've read a lot of the reviews.. But maybe it should have had some guidelines that posters had to abide by. I see people posting multiple 'reviews' like "I like everything Terry makes" just to get their name in the drawing. Mind you, the reviews don't have to be pages long. But I think they should contain some helpful information about why the product is or isn't good, and the reviewers like the one I just quoted don't deserve to win any prizes. This isn't jealousy, because I don't plan to even POST any reviews, seeing as how I'm so new to biking I don't know what's good or what isn't. But it would be sad for these anything-to-win posters to win prizes that should go to those who at least put together a few thoughtful sentences in their reviews.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Just MHO. Thanks![/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Born2B...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]I agree, I think the contest IS a good idea, and I've read a lot of the reviews.. But maybe it should have had some guidelines that posters had to abide by. I see people posting multiple 'reviews' like "I like everything Terry makes" just to get their name in the drawing. Mind you, the reviews don't have to be pages long. But I think they should contain some helpful information about why the product is or isn't good, and the reviewers like the one I just quoted don't deserve to win any prizes. This isn't jealousy, because I don't plan to even POST any reviews, seeing as how I'm so new to biking I don't know what's good or what isn't. But it would be sad for these anything-to-win posters to win prizes that should go to those who at least put together a few thoughtful sentences in their reviews.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Just MHO. Thanks![/COLOR]I
Thanks for the heads up! I have been monitoring the reviews and most of them are insightful and abide by the 200 word requirement. The point behind the contest is to create original and useful content for the site. When drawing names I will review each pick to make sure it qualifies.

Secondly, Get out there and do a review! The best part about this contest is the result. Reviews written by people from all levels of experience.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]Born2B...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I agree, I think the contest IS a good idea, and I've read a lot of the reviews.. But maybe it should have had some guidelines that posters had to abide by. I see people posting multiple 'reviews' like "I like everything Terry makes" just to get their name in the drawing. Mind you, the reviews don't have to be pages long. But I think they should contain some helpful information about why the product is or isn't good, and the reviewers like the one I just quoted don't deserve to win any prizes. This isn't jealousy, because I don't plan to even POST any reviews, seeing as how I'm so new to biking I don't know what's good or what isn't. But it would be sad for these anything-to-win posters to win prizes that should go to those who at least put together a few thoughtful sentences in their reviews.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Just MHO. Thanks![/COLOR]
I am sorry if I was not following the rules. I was doing as many reviews as I could and yes I was doing it for the contest. I guess I got in a hurry and maybe some of my reviews were a little short. I will go back and try to add more substance to them.
I do really like the terry products. A friend turned me on to them when I first started. SierraSlim I read one of your post about custom jerseys and you should try the terry line they have plus sizes that might just work. Check them out http://www.terrybicycles.com/product/category/plus

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Roadie![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That's one of the sweetest apologies I've ever seen, and I do appreciate your restraint in not coming at me. I'm having bike troubles and am afraid it's making me a little overly sensitive. Maybe more than a little, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif[/COLOR] (I never intended for anybody but the founder to see the post, actually; it being here was a goof-up because I'm such an electromedial moron.)

[COLOR= #0000ff]I will definitely check out the terry jerseys, too! I did finally find some at SierraTradingPost.com, this week, but their quality, while doable, isn't the best for my budget. However, I am always looking for a good deal or a new fashion suggestion! Thanks for the link. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR]

Dunno if anybody would be interested in reviews of any of *my* old gear - does Bell even make any of the old Cycle Products bags and racks anymore? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif And how would some of my fellow 'clydesdales' feel to know that while they are spending large sums of money for heavy duty frames and wheels and I'm lugging 350+ lbs of clyde'n'groceries on a 30 y/o Firenze MT505 /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif that is still mostly original (changed out the crankset for one from a thriftshop Firenze after it got too worn to hold a cotter pin (aggrevated by being clipped by a careless motorist) and 'upgraded' to alloy wheels when a friend gave me a nearly new set with tires after a vandal slashed the tires on the slightly rusty old steel wheels, and of course, the usual replacement of worn tires and cables and brake shoes and precisely *one* busted spoke thanks to the "blind" motorist). Being on a fixed income (disability) luxuries are a $20 light here or a $15 tire there.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

A human travelling on a bicycle at speeds of around 10–15 km/h uses only the energy required to walk. Air drag, which is proportional to the square of speed, requires dramatically higher power outputs as speeds increase. I found all these things on Road ID bicycles. If the rider is sitting upright, the rider's body creates about 75% of the total drag of the bicycle/rider combination. Drag can be reduced by seating the rider in a supine position or a prone position, thus creating a recumbent bicycle or human powered vehicle. Drag can also be reduced by covering the bicycle with an aerodynamic fairing. And Road ID maintain all these things.

In the email that was sent to me, the frame was described as 54". I hope it's really 54 cm, otherwise it would fit only a very, very tall person! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Go ahead and send the Photon frame to me. I'll test it and write up a really nice review on it/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif.