west highland way

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Robert Dunn, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Robert Dunn

    Robert Dunn Guest

    Can you give me a list of suitable bed and breakfasts during september.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    robert dunn wrote on 2 Mar 2004 10:29:22 -0800....
    > Can you give me a list of suitable bed and breakfasts during september.

    No. By September I'll have forgotten you asked.

    If you really wanted to know, then -
    (a) Wouldn't it be sensible to say what area you interested in? New Zealand?
    (b) A search engine would be a better bet for this sort of basic question. Your teacher hasn't
    properly explained what newsgroups are good for.

    Please ask your teacher to read this: http://tinyurl.com/3xf97 Then ask him/her to go get some
    advice from someone who actually understands what makes newsgroups tick, and can explain what the
    SQA mean when they recommend that he/she adopt a "more open approach".

    (Translation: the assessment you are following is crap, and the SQA should never have issued it in
    the first place. For several years it's been causing annoyance to many of the regular users of this
    newsgroup that they are being used as an exercise by every college in Scotland.)

    --
    Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  3. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Tim Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > (Translation: the assessment you are following is crap, and the SQA should never have issued it in
    > the first place. For several years it's been causing annoyance to many of the regular users of
    > this newsgroup that they are being used as an exercise by every college in Scotland.)

    Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get
    any replies?

  4. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:16:37 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get
    >any replies?

    Yes, if they ever visited URW again. I've only once seen a reply post from one of the students .....
    and I might even have imagined that!

    But like many people have said many times before, you can't blame the students. They're just doing
    what they're told by teachers who really haven't got a clue.

    Judith

  5. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    AndyP wrote on Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:16:37 -0000....
    > Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get any
    > replies?

    It's a different bunch each time. Each new lot would be blissfully unaware that the previous lot got
    no replies. (Just as currently they are blissfully unaware that the previous lot got replies that
    were critical of the course.)

    --
    Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  6. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:16:37 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get
    >any replies?

    Since the point of posting is, AFAICR, to get a reply, then yes, they would stop posting.
    Unfortunately, it only takes one...

  7. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, AndyP <[email protected]> writes
    >"Tim Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> (Translation: the assessment you are following is crap, and the SQA should never have issued it
    >> in the first place. For several years it's been causing annoyance to many of the regular users of
    >> this newsgroup that they are being used as an exercise by every college in Scotland.)
    >
    >Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get
    >any replies?

    Well I've not seen the "descriptor" (new word for syllabus) but as an ex-college lecturer I would
    guess not.

    It is likely to say "the student must be able to correctly post on a newsgroup" and once s/he has
    shown evidence of that posting then the point is gained and s/he moves on to the next requirement.

    If any current lecturer/teacher wants to correct me then please do.

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  8. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Tim Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> (Translation: the assessment you are following is crap, and the SQA should never have issued it
    >> in the first place. For several years it's been causing annoyance to many of the regular users of
    >> this newsgroup that they are being used as an exercise by every college in Scotland.)
    >
    >Wouldn't all the poor stoodents be more likely to stop and go elsewhere if they didn't get
    >any replies?

    They do it to wind people up. It works.

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com