Wester Ross / Loch Ewe Cycles

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ian Baren, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Ian Baren

    Ian Baren Guest

    Gee, long shot here - I am starting a restoration of a ca. 1976-80 531 Wester Ross / Loch Ewe
    Cycles frame, ser #023, and wonder if there are any out there who A) have one, B) know anything
    about this maker,
    C) have any thoughts on who to go to for restoration shops... D) Decals (haha,) or in general
    anything related to who made them, when tey were in business, reviews, etc, etc.

    Found the following on rec. bikes, only 12 years ago...

    Thanks

    > As to buying a tourer over here, if you want a decent new one, you're looking in the low hundreds,
    > at a minimum. Used bikes vary enormously, but there must be quite a few available in Oxford,
    > around change-over time. Of course, a bike bought here would have the advantage of being
    > right-hand drive.........

    Looking at recent ads for second hand touring bikes, you can expect to pay around 350 pounds for as
    an example a Dawes Super Galaxy (1990 model) and similar for the top of the range Raleigh or Claude
    Butler second hand.

    As an example of new prices : Nigel Dean World Tour (531 frame, Suntour X-1 indexed 21 sp gearing)
    is about 550 pounds.

    Claude Butler Classic (501 frame, Shimano 12 sp indexed gearing) is 250 pounds)

    My own custom built tourer (hand-built Wester Ross 531 frameset) would now cost about 1200
    pounds to replace.

    Alan Chapman. alan_c@cix.compulink.co.uk Message 2 in thread From: Carla Oexmann
    (oexmann@convex.com) Subject: Re: bicycle: ship to or purcha

    View this article only Newsgroups: rec.bicycles Date: 1991-07-10 23:58:44 PST

    In article <1991Jul09.224556.3727@demon.co.uk> Alan Chapman <alan_c@cix.compulink.co.uk> writes:
    > My own custom built tourer (hand-built Wester Ross 531 frameset) would now cost about 1200
    > pounds to replace.
    >
    >Alan Chapman. alan_c@cix.compulink.co.uk

    So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other Wester Ross riders are out there ?

    Ritual disclaimer : My opinion and mine alone ! Convex, as best I can tell, doesn't have opinions,
    being a corporate entity... Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!oexmann
    Convex Computer Corp. 3000 Waterview Parkway
    C.A. Box 833851 Richardson, TX Message 3 in thread From: Alan Chapman (alan_c@cix.compulink.co.uk)
    Subject: Re: bicycle: ship to or purcha

    View this article only Newsgroups: rec.bicycles Date: 1991-07-12 00:04:52 PST

    > So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other Wester Ro- ss riders are
    > out there ?
    >
    > Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!oexmann

    There was me, thinking that in all probability, I was the only one reading wreck.bikes who has a
    Wester Ross.

    Mines not so pretty now, having got the frame 7.5 years and 50000 miles ago (7.5 years at an average
    of 7200 miles per year).

    Alan. Message 4 in thread From: Don Varvel (dvarvel@csc.ti.com) Subject: Re: bicycle: ship
    to or purcha

    View this article only Newsgroups: rec.bicycles Date: 1991-07-12 10:34:56 PST

    In article <1991Jul12.000010.16495@demon.co.uk> Alan Chapman <alan_c@cix.compulink.co.uk> writes:
    (Carla Oex-
    >mann)
    >> So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other
    Wester Ro- ss
    >> riders are out there ? Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs,
    ctvax}!convex!oexmann
    >There was me, thinking that in all probability, I was the only one reading wreck.bikes who has a
    >Wester Ross. Mines not so pretty now, having got the frame 7.5 years and 50000 miles ago (7.5 years
    >at an average of 7200 miles per year).

    I think the "pretty" was a figure of speech. Possibly a term of endearment.

    But then, I've seen Carla's bicycle. Someday you may see it, too. It can be recognized by the pink
    fuzzy dice. The remainder defies description.

    -- Don Varvel